HAL gifts cards at a discount

Euby

On 5/9/2022 at 1:18 PM, AZNative2000 said:

Something to keep in mind:  According to my HAL PCC, if you pay with HAL gift cards and you

cancel, you will get any refund back on HAL gift cards.  Safe Travels!

Yeah, that seems like one draw back...however, if you are cancelling for a covered reason with travel insurance, would you not receive cash back from the insurance company? Afterall, they wont know that you paid with gift cards.

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I didn't see the 24 hour response time until it was too late! LOL

I went ahead and bit the bullet. My issue is I need to pay today or tomorrow at the latest so was a bit worried 😉 
In case others are curious, it took just a few minutes to receive all but 1 (of course!)  gift card. 
I called the 800 number and the nice CS rep sent the email for the one I was missing. I kept the order numbers for all five cards from off the confirmation page so I knew exactly which one I was missing. 
Total time on phone was 3 minutes from dialing to hanging up. Now, to pay up!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Is the AARP gift card deal still available?  I actually just purchased an AARP membership so that I could buy the cards, and I cant figure out how do find them on the AARP site.  I hit the link from the original poster of this thread, but its just a generic page to AARP benefits.  does anyone have a link to the actual HAL gift cards?

18 minutes ago, brovol said:

Is the AARP gift card deal still available?  I actually just purchased an AARP membership so that I could buy the cards, and I cant figure out how do find them on the AARP site.  I hit the link from the original poster of this thread, but its just a generic page to AARP benefits.  does anyone have a link to the actual HAL gift cards?

Actually, you don't even need to purchase a membership to buy the HAL gift cards.  For other cruise lines you have to but not CCL branded ones for now at least.

Screenshot 2022-08-26 095517.jpg

• Like 1

I was able to purchase five $500 gift cards just now. What was odd is that an error came up after I pressed submit for purchase that said "no more in stock", but the purchase went through and I got the emails with the gift card details.

7 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

I asked my dad (i am barely under the age to get an AARP membership) to log in for me today and look.  He says he can't find them.  I don't know whether they're truly gone, or he just isn't sure where to search.

Click AARP Rewards in the top banner.

Scroll all the way down to the last row of color graphics labelled "Save up without missing out".

On the right side of those words, click See All Rewards>

Scroll to the dark background labelled "Featured Rewards".

On the right side of those words, click (circle with a down arrow) Skip to All Rewards.

Scroll through the "card" images to find the blue-hulled beauty! which is NOT marked Members Only.

You can buy 5 cards per month. Either $500 value for $450, or $100 value for $90.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

I asked my dad (i am barely under the age to get an AARP membership) to log in for me today and look.  He says he can't find them.  I don't know whether they're truly gone, or he just isn't sure where to search.

Go to the link:  https://www.aarp.org/rewards/redeem/#sort-by=default

Then log in to AARP using your email and password.  

On the next page scroll down to "Save up without missing out" and to the right side it says "see all rewards".  Click here. On the next page scroll down to "all rewards" and enter Holland America iin the search box. .  You can buy a $100 gift card for $90 or a $500 gift card for $450.  Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, tensixmom said:

You don’t need an actual aarp membership to purchase the gift cards.  I signed up for the free rewards membership and purchased the gift cards last week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ksqrd said:

Has anybody been able to use these for payment for an existing cruise with a TA at a big box store? I just want to make sure I can use these before I buy. This is a great deal!

I used thousands in these cards for cruise in October. Booked thru Big Box store. Problem is the gift cards are in $25 increments and it took a long time to read all the numbers to agent and wait on phone for HAL to accept. 

After reading this thread, I checked AARP to see if they had Celebrity gift cards at a discount too. They do! I was so excited to use it on the booking I made last week, then I read the fine print. You can only use Celebrity gift cards for a new booking. No OBC, no using it for payment after initial booking and you can use a maximum of $500 per person per cruise. HAL, in contrast, has no limit on the amount of gift card use on a cruise and allows you to use it for OBC and previous bookings. It's a great deal!

1 hour ago, cruising oceangal said:

Can gift cards also be used to prepay shore excursions / dining / gratuities?

Just curious as I have never bought them before.

Yes.  You can also use them at the front desk while on the cruise to pay on your onboard account.  Just remember to bring the certificate number and pin with you.