Testing requirements for Voyager of the Seas Barcelona to Copenhagen cruise on April 15th 2022

Hi All,

I have a cruise booked with RCI and have recently been told I need a negative result from a PCR or Antigen test taken no more than 1 day before I board the ship.

The good news is I have found a company called Express Test who have a clinic at Heathrow T5 and can perform a Antigen test and give me the results back via my phone 40 minutes later before I board my flight on the 14th April, 1 day before as requested.

However, they advise to check with the travel company/agent before booking.

I have e-mailed both RCI and my travel agent and passed on the above info asking if this test is acceptable, or if there is something at the port, but after many days, no one has e-mailed me back.

The PCR test results won't be back before we fly, and I have asked about this too and also had no reply.

Is there anyone here who is going on this cruise or a similar one who can provide me with an answer as we don't know what else to do and are running out of time and cannot believe no-one can give us advise with this important question.

regards,

Mick Brown

Please refer to Facebook page “NCL Star, stranded in Barcelona” for what happen to us and about 100 cruisers on 4-3-22.  New EU regulations (passed on 4-2-22 but we are unable to find where it is written?) that are as clear as mud! Apparently booster shots are needed if your vaccination is over 270 days?  There is a video of the NCL spokeswoman telling us we did nothing wrong as they denied us to embark!   Good luck figuring it out.

On 4/6/2022 at 12:06 PM, Mick B said:

Is there anyone here who is going on this cruise or a similar one who can provide me with an answer as we don't know what else to do and are running out of time and cannot believe no-one can give us advise with this important question.

Welcome to CC and cruising in the COVID era.

@little britain may have some info.

Please come back and let us know how easy it was to access the tests, did you prebook? And if acceptable to Royal Caribbean. They really do need to give their customers more information 

• Like 1

First a disclaimer, I am not on this cruise 

Last year we had antigen tests for RCI cruises in Europe, antigen tests are also accepted by RCI in the US and currently accepted for entry by most governments (US, Australia as examples)

So I don’t see why it wouldn’t be acceptable for this cruise 

1 minute ago, BekkaW said:

Last year we had antigen tests for RCI cruises in Europe, antigen tests are also accepted by RCI in the US and currently accepted for entry by most governments (US, Australia as examples)

This was not the question, of course antigen test are accepted….

• Like 1

On 4/6/2022 at 6:06 PM, Mick B said:

Hi All,

I have a cruise booked with RCI and have recently been told I need a negative result from a PCR or Antigen test taken no more than 1 day before I board the ship.

The good news is I have found a company called Express Test who have a clinic at Heathrow T5 and can perform a Antigen test and give me the results back via my phone 40 minutes later before I board my flight on the 14th April, 1 day before as requested.

I have e-mailed both RCI and my travel agent and passed on the above info asking if this test is acceptable, or if there is something at the port, but after many days, no one has e-mailed me back.

The PCR test results won't be back before we fly, and I have asked about this too and also had no reply.

regards,

Mick Brown

Hi Mick,

just go to the Roll Call for this cruise! There you will see that a lot of us on this cruise, including me, will make exactly the same like you😉

We have booked an antigen test at the airport for the day before the cruise👍

So all should work well for you...

Happy Cruising😊

5 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

This was not the question, of course antigen test are accepted….

Then what is the question? OP wrote that they can get an antigen test at T5 and asked if this will be acceptable?? 

....and I have just forgotten to mention that it is also possible to prebook quick antigen tests at Barcelona airport! ...just in case...but I think it is better to make the test in your airport because it is  good to know BEFORE the flight if you can cruise or not.

Hope I was able to help a bit...

Tests from testcenters at airports are accepted ...it would not make sense to have a testcenter at the airport whose test result cannot be used for travelling! That would make no sense...so I would relax and if you are not sure book the test at Barcelona airport. A lot cruisers on our cruise will do that.👍🏻

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cot427 said:

Do they even work accessing from abroad?  

Yes, there should be no location limit on where you connect from to emed to take the test. RCI accepts them to get on the ship and should not change with the port, though some port workers overseas may need some education on those.

• Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

Yes, there should be no location limit on where you connect from to emed to take the test. RCI accepts them to get on the ship and should not change with the port, though some port workers overseas may need some education on those.

Awesome! I used CVS for my first two cruises back after the shutdown, but appointments are increasingly hard to come by and getting canceled. Used those BinaxNow tests from eMed last month and they were super easy to use and convenient, done right in your hotel with a virtual proctor. I will buy a couple more for Rhapsody in June (always good to have an extra or two just in case). 

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Checked with American Airlines and emed tests mentioned on their website as acceptable for flight back to US, which is what we'll do to fly home from Amsterdam. 

On 4/6/2022 at 5:06 PM, Mick B said:

Hi All,

regards,

Mick Brown

There are many screen grabs of conversations with RCI staff on the “other” roll call for this cruise, where it has been confirmed that the DIY proctored ones are acceptable so the ones were you are actually tested by someone else as a Fit To Fly with accompanying certificate will definitely be accepted. I’m being done at Lloyds Chemists. 

On 4/6/2022 at 9:00 PM, andy1fsufan said:

Please refer to Facebook page “NCL Star, stranded in Barcelona” for what happen to us and about 100 cruisers on 4-3-22.  New EU regulations (passed on 4-2-22 but we are unable to find where it is written?) that are as clear as mud! Apparently booster shots are needed if your vaccination is over 270 days?  There is a video of the NCL spokeswoman telling us we did nothing wrong as they denied us to embark!   Good luck figuring it out.

RCI clearly state you need a booster if jab 2 is older than 270 days. 
This should not come as a surprise to anyone.

This requirement  has been in place since Feb 1st. 

To be considered up-to-date, guests must have received all doses in their vaccine series and have received their booster if the second vaccine was administered over 270 days (9 months) ago.

On 4/8/2022 at 7:13 AM, BekkaW said:

It worked last year may not work today. Windows change often. one year ago there was a window of 72 hours. Several months ago, the window was shortened to within 2 days. Now, SPAIN Health said, no more than 1 day.

2 hours ago, stag said:

It worked last year may not work today. Windows change often. one year ago there was a window of 72 hours. Several months ago, the window was shortened to within 2 days. Now, SPAIN Health said, no more than 1 day.

For tests to truly work you need to be tested every day,  that's not going to happen.

In my own case I caught covid from my SIL who had tested negative just before coming to our house for dinner.  The next day she tested positive.  I tested every day after, and it wasn't until the forth day after her positive test that I also tested positive, by which time I had passed it to my DIL and my husband who tested positive a few days after me.

We all need to be fully vaxxed and learn to live with covid, taking what precautions we feel comfortable with, I.e. wearing masks in crowded public places.

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 6:14 AM, stag said:

OP didn’t ask about timeframes though, they asked about types of tests. Yes things can change, but the antigen test was accepted in Europe last year and is still currently accepted for US sailings - both a good indication that it will be accepted for European sailings this year. 

Edited by BekkaW

I'm doing the cruise on Voyager from Copenhagen on 24th April and the requirements is for an antigen test 2 days before my cruise.  I usually book my pre-cruise tests via Boots chemist and results are always back in good time.  My antigen test is £30 with Boots and being done in store with results in an hour.  I choose Boots as it's a national chemist chain and approved by the government.  You order the test online then make the appointment for the Boots store near to you that are doing the relevant test.  Payment is taken when you turn up for your appointment.