Reminder: Travellers to Canada (ArriveCAN)

Nghthawke

(1/2) Reminder: Travellers to Canada must submit their information into #ArriveCAN within 72 hours before their arrival to Canada and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada.

(2/2) To avoid any difficulties, make sure you download the latest version of the app. Learn more: http://ow.ly/3twS50IFjK3

Curious to see how it will go for the first cruise ships sailing out of Canada. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Especially as you will likely need to rely on shipboard internet or cell service to complete. Hopefully, HAL will help resolve the problem. Glad we're not going to be the first in line to test this and will wait to hear about the experience of the early season travelers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nghthawke said:

(1/2) Reminder: Travellers to Canada must submit their information into #ArriveCAN within 72 hours before their arrival to Canada and/or before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada.

(2/2) To avoid any difficulties, make sure you download the latest version of the app. Learn more: http://ow.ly/3twS50IFjK3

We have everything ready, but have to wait to be within the 72hrs. What documents do you have to expect to have ready (to upload), when filling details in within the 72 hrs?

10 hours ago, Nghthawke said:

Reminder?!?! How can I be reminded of something I never knew? I am sailing out of Montreal in June and have not been told anything about this! All I have been told is that I have to have proof of vaccination, covid testing within 72 hours of boarding and my passport. I will be flying in to Montreal on Air Canada and they havent told me of ANY prerequisites to traveling at all! I am terribly afraid of being denied boarding (flight or cruise!) due to not having something I need, but did not know about. Please help me and explain exactly what I need! Thank you!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, deejuliet said:

Reminder?!?! How can I be reminded of something I never knew? I am sailing out of Montreal in June and have not been told anything about this! All I have been told is that I have to have proof of vaccination, covid testing within 72 hours of boarding and my passport. I will be flying in to Montreal on Air Canada and they havent told me of ANY prerequisites to traveling at all! I am terribly afraid of being denied boarding (flight or cruise!) due to not having something I need, but did not know about. Please help me and explain exactly what I need! Thank you!

In your preparation for your travel, you can find this on the official Canadian website; https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada.html , the website from Air Canada and also in the Alaska and Canada cruise protocols from HAL;

HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR ALASKA & CANADA/NEW ENGLAND CRUISES Our Alaska and Canada/New England cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and can provide a negative viral COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken before embarkation. Guests under 5 years of age do not need to be vaccinated. Children under 2 years of age do not need to be tested prior to cruising. Within 72 hours of your cruise embarkation, sign into ArriveCAN from a computer or download the mobile app to enter your proof of vaccination and travel information to get your ArriveCAN receipt. Please bring a digital copy of the email or print your receipt and take it with you when you travel.

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, deejuliet said:

Here is the quote from the Holland America web site--read the second paragraph--one has to keep up with these notices online, too.  Dated March 25.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/dam/hal/inventory-assets/Health_Sanitation/2022/0329-alaska-canada-health-protocols.pdf

• Like 2

Hi All,

I am on the first cruise ship to depart from a Canadian port tomorrow on April 10th.  I had previously uploaded my vaccination records and my passport information into ArriveCan, (about two months ago). At that time I had gone into and tried to do a pretend arrival for cruise ships and could not do that.  However, and I am sorry I don't have the link, but as they (the Canadian gov't knows that WIFI will not be dependable on the ship)  But as of 72 hours before the cruise you have the ability to indicate mode of travel, so that is marine.   1)  select the country you are departing from   2)select your departure date.  These two questions relate to embarkation.  NOW there are additional fields, to indicate arrival back into Canada.  3) Country you last visited  4)  Port of Entry (there is a search box to select which port you will arrive from) and then 5) Arrival date back into Canada.  We both have our QR codes for our arrival back into Canada (after visiting U.S.  (cruise to Hawaii) for April 28th, 2022.  I was able to do all of this on Thursday, April 7th for a cruise on April 10th.

Edited by Lido deck main
added port of entry in the number sequence
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Air Canada also has the information for ArriveCan right on their website as well as on their app. 
Westjet does too.

We couldn’t print/download our flight’s boarding passes until the ArriveCan info was completed. 

Edited by Dunmore2

1 hour ago, deejuliet said:

YOU are responsible for knowing requirements and meeting them.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Precisely the reason Mrs Banjo and I have not returned to cruising yet.  Keeping up with the rules and changes, testing and what if’s makes it just too stressful.  We cruise to reduce much of the stress of international travel.  Given the ongoing circumstances, my anxiety level remains way too high to book any cruise……  sorry to say, so we intend to spend our third year on road-trips inside the US and hope for a return to normal so we can resume traveling the way we love, by cruising.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Precisely the reason Mrs Banjo and I have not returned to cruising yet.  Keeping up with the rules and changes, testing and what if’s makes it just too stressful.  We cruise to reduce much of the stress of international travel.  Given the ongoing circumstances, my anxiety level remains way too high to book any cruise……  sorry to say, so we intend to spend our third year on road-trips inside the US and hope for a return to normal so we can resume traveling the way we love, by cruising.

Don't want to disappoint you, but chances are that paper work (either real or electronic) will grow even more and new installed systems like VeriFly and ArriveCAN are there to stay.

Starting in 2023 a new requirement to enter Europe for Non-Europeans will be added to the list, just like eTA and ESTA, named ETIAS for European entry.

I think we all have to get used to not taking easy travelling for granted anymore.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Oh wow. You were just so super duper helpful! Love your kind and considerate response to a fellow traveler is TRYING to find out what the fudge they need to know for traveling requirements!

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, 12cruise2 said:

Lido deck main and Dunmore--do you download a PDF to the ArriveCAN--is that how you post the covid vac. certificate?  Or?   Thank you for your help.

Hi @12cruise2  Just so you know there is also a web based version of ArriveCan.  So if you don't have a cell phone you can use your desktop/laptop.  Anyhow you can sign up now, (you can add additional people to the account in need be)  upload your vaccination record and also put in your passport information.  Once you are ready to travel within 72 hours you can then just go into arrivecan and enter in the dates of your travel.  

I have our vaccination records as a PDF file on my desktop, so just uploaded the file to arrivecan.  Any you manually enter in your passport information.

Edited by Lido deck main
added info about the PDF on desktop
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, deejuliet said:

Please help me and explain exactly what I need! Thank you!

Looks like other travelers have posted some good Internet links. There is also the one that I posted earlier: 

(2/2) To avoid any difficulties, make sure you download the latest version of the app. Learn more: http://ow.ly/3twS50IFjK3

I must admit I am one of those people who gets flustered with stuff like this. What I do is I set aside some quiet time, read everything through and then when I'm ready I will follow the instructions of whatever it is I need to do. No TV. No radio. No distractions. And then I just get it done.

Most ports have free Internet access nearby. So I'm thinking this is what we will use when we are in transit instead of relying on the ship's Internet. But if we must we will use the ship's Internet. We usually use that for online check-in for our flights and it's always been pretty good.

The good news is there are travelers ahead of us so I'm sure someone will post an update of how it went for them here on the HAL board. My understanding is that the ArriveCAN app is easy to use.

First cruise ship in Victoria today, what a beautiful sight:

First cruise ship in two years (HAL Koningsdam)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Lido deck main and Dunmore--do you download a PDF to the ArriveCAN--is that how you post the covid vac. certificate?  Or?   Thank you for your help.

Yes, we did exactly as luvteaching said, and took a picture of our QR code on our vaccination card and it uploaded automatically. 

• Like 1

We are flying to Vancouver from the US is a few weeks for a Hawaii cruise. When completing  the ArriveCan app, what type of quarantine address have people used? I have no idea what address to include but I did find a list of quarantine hotels online but it is an older article. If I include a random quarantine hotel address, how do you even know they’d have availability if needed? I’m so confused!

We will have Covid test results in hand to board the ship and my understanding is that proof of negative test is no longer required for entry into Canada. Do I understand this correctly?

Thank you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, floralscent said:

We are flying to Vancouver from the US is a few weeks for a Hawaii cruise. When completing  the ArriveCan app, what type of quarantine address have people used? I have no idea what address to include but I did find a list of quarantine hotels online but it is an older article. If I include a random quarantine hotel address, how do you even know they’d have availability if needed? I’m so confused!

I was very confused by this so ended up calling the ArriveCan number. I was told to put in the physical address  - and postal code of the cruise port instead of a hotel. Had no idea how the answer some of the questions - are you going to be in a setting with others, etc. -  so just did my best guessing. I got my okay with QR code back within half an hour.

My biggest issue was this. Was trying to do Verifly and ArriveCan on my regular computer because I have a phone which doesn't always work like it should - could be operator error. LOL I got the passport and vaccine info loaded into Verifly, and the QR code from ArriveCan and couldn't get the two to work together to finish. I uploaded the QR code as .png, .jpg, .pdf and even tried scanning in and going that way. Kept getting rejected. After much frustration and time spent I just brought printouts of all the pieces to the airport and they finished up at checkin. The agent said it needs to be done in the app. There is probably a way to download the app to the laptop/desktop but that would just be more mess and frustration for me. This way worked quite quickly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lido deck main said:

Hi @12cruise2  Just so you know there is also a web based version of ArriveCan.  So if you don't have a cell phone you can use your desktop/laptop.  Anyhow you can sign up now, (you can add additional people to the account in need be)  upload your vaccination record and also put in your passport information.  Once you are ready to travel within 72 hours you can then just go into arrivecan and enter in the dates of your travel.  

I have our vaccination records as a PDF file on my desktop, so just uploaded the file to arrivecan.  Any you manually enter in your passport information.

Thank you so much.  Yes, I found the site on the computer, and signed up and created an account using the computer.  Thank you for answering my specific question re using a computer--I have PDF files of our covid card showing two shots plus booster, so I can simply attach that PDF file to the ArriveCAN account using the computer.  Yeah.  You are so helpful.  We don't go until 10/1, the last Eurodam cruise of the year in Alaska.

Oh, interesting note--we're on the Zuiderdam now in Mexico--nowhere near Canada I might note--I got three emails all saying the same thing about our next, B2B cruise--Health Q. ready to complete, use verifly, all the usual reminders AND now the last one is use ArriveCAN for posting our info--so it looks like a generic addition now to all notices that things are ready to be completed 3 days in advance--this is to mention this to the CC member who said she isn't aware and hasn't been notified--just be sure to read every detail of what they send!!!

Edited by 12cruise2

On 4/9/2022 at 10:00 AM, Sebbiesgrammy said:

Especially as you will likely need to rely on shipboard internet or cell service to complete. Hopefully, HAL will help resolve the problem. Glad we're not going to be the first in line to test this and will wait to hear about the experience of the early season travelers.

We were on the first cruise in and out of the UK last September (Princess), the crew had to work really hard to get all the paperwork cleared whilst we were still in the Bay of Biscay. I think the Gov't learned the lesson, Cruise ships are not aircraft and hotels at sea do not have a few passengers per unit with good internet, the ships have many pax with poor internet. Someone should contact Govt of Canada and ask them to talk with UK govt about their experience.

We are on a 21 day panama canal FLL to Vancouver. Thought I would try and do arrive canada on a hal computer three days before arrival in Victoria BC. We have out vaccine passport and passport and arent tech savy so not overlly concerned if cant do it on line.

Bob