Alaska cruise: If I don’t get off the ship in Victoria, do I still need ArriveCan?

CruiseMark

36 minutes ago, bushwhack77 said:

This is a perfect example of unnecessary, and illogical government control of the masses.

You do know that we are talking about a Canadian traveling requirement?  US visitors would be guests in Canada, and must follow their regulations, just as the US has regulations for our foreign visitors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

It has been reported that passengers who are sailing NCL in May have gotten emails that the document needs to be filled out. It does not matter if you are not getting off the ship, it needs to be completed before embarkment

This is correct.  I depart on NCL Bliss next Saturday and received email from NCL on Wednesday saying ArriveCAN was required.  They provided a link to complete the form and bring proof at check-in.

4 minutes ago, Krazy Kat said:

This is correct.  I depart on NCL Bliss next Saturday and received email from NCL on Wednesday saying ArriveCAN was required.  They provided a link to complete the form and bring proof at check-in.

Good to hear they are finally agreeing with what the Canadian requirements say. It could have been a nightmare at the pier with hundreds trying to complete the form at the pier, although I’m sure many will still not have it ready.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, disneylover89 said:

It has been reported that passengers who are sailing NCL in May have gotten emails that the document needs to be filled out. It does not matter if you are not getting off the ship, it needs to be completed before embarkment

Sailing NCL in May to Alaska/Victoria.  Just got an email from NCL - strangely it mentions additional EU requirements but does not mention Canada at all.

1 hour ago, EleventyBangBang said:

Sailing NCL in May to Alaska/Victoria.  Just got an email from NCL - strangely it mentions additional EU requirements but does not mention Canada at all.

Well- Victoria is a very English-y city, for sure. Although England is no longer EU, now that I think about it. 

Edited by 5waldos

So after all this talk I created an account with Arrivecan. I scanned my vaxination card into my desktop computer. I filled in the passport information (you don't need a picture of the passport), attached the vaxination card when asked and I was done. Downloaded the app, signed in and all the information I entered into the desktop computer was there. I tried to enter the departure date of the cruise but because I cruise in June it prompted me to come back within 72 hours of departure. All in all, for me, it wasn't that hard. 

• Thanks 1

So on a related topic, does anyone know if ArriveCAN lets you input birth certificate info if you are sailing without a passport? (This isn't an invitation for "get a passport" replies btw lol).

26 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

So on a related topic, does anyone know if ArriveCAN lets you input birth certificate info if you are sailing without a passport? (This isn't an invitation for "get a passport" replies btw lol).

I didn’t see that option.

44 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

Yes, birth certificate is an option. 

36D4933B-BEE3-409E-8A1C-9887932963FC.png

29 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

Will I need two ArriveCAN applications for back to back

Vancouver-Seward/Seward-Vancouver cruises?  

Possibly 3 times if you are not a Canadian Citizen, if I understand the requirements (and it appears no one does, lol) - First time when entering Canada to go to Vancouver (via plane or vehicle), Second time when boarding the ship in Vancouver, and Third Time either boarding the ship in Seward and / or Arriving in Vancouver. 

Edited by JT1962

2 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Yes, birth certificate is an option. 

36D4933B-BEE3-409E-8A1C-9887932963FC.png

Just a reminder to everyone (although most of you are seasoned travelers), - even though you are entering this information for your entry into Canada, you still need to bring your proof of citizenship, as listed above with you to show at your port of Embarkation (i.e., Seattle).

Also, just a gentle reminder that Enhanced Driver's Licenses are only available from 5 US states: MI, MN, NY, VT & WA, and these licenses are clearly marked "Enhanced Driver's License"  So if you live in a state that has Real ID, you still need to bring your gov't issued birth certificate, or passport.

Real ID does not equal Enhanced Driver's License for the purpose of proving citizenship.

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Possibly 3 times if you are not a Canadian Citizen, if I understand the requirements (and it appears no one does, lol) - First time when entering Canada to go to Vancouver (via plane or vehicle), Second time when boarding the ship in Vancouver, and Third Time either boarding the ship in Seward and / or Arriving in Vancouver. 

But- also if I understand the requirements- if you complete the app to enter Canada and within 72 hours also board the ship- you are okay- yes? 

3 hours ago, JT1962 said:

Thank-you for the information.
 I am arriving on July 4th, and the first cruise leaves Vancouver on the 8th.  I also need Covid tests before each cruise as well as when we dock before we fly back to the US the same day.  Just trying to get my ducks in line.

On 4/16/2022 at 2:45 PM, EleventyBangBang said:

OK, just got an update from NCL today.  Yes, all passengers required to do it, must show receipt at embarkation.  

9 minutes ago, EleventyBangBang said:

OK, just got an update from NCL today.  Yes, all passengers required to do it, must show receipt at embarkation.  

Better late than never. I’m not sure why the cruise lines have been so late getting this information out. It has been posted on the Canadian websites for several weeks. I sail on Carnival in 12 days and my Carnival PVP just assured me yesterday ArriveCAN was not required and the Carnival website mentions nothing about it.

It should be a fun time at the pier watching everyone scramble to get what is needed to board. Hopefully they will have “Prepared” and “Unprepared” lines, lol.

So maybe its rare, does anyone know if ArriveCAN lets you input naturalization certificate info if you are sailing without a passport?  Naturalization certificate is listed as a official document proof of citizenship. Thx

On 4/20/2022 at 7:51 AM, JT1962 said:

I sail on Carnival in 12 days and my Carnival PVP just assured me yesterday ArriveCAN was not required and the Carnival website mentions nothing about it.

Hopefully you've seen that there has been an update - John Heald has since changed the plan on ArriveCAN.  Carnival is requiring it now.   

51 minutes ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

Hopefully you've seen that there has been an update - John Heald has since changed the plan on ArriveCAN.  Carnival is requiring it now.   

Yes, several of us had been trying to tell Csrnival for a couple of weeks that it was required, but for some reason they didn’t seem to think it applied to them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, larams said:

So maybe its rare, does anyone know if ArriveCAN lets you input naturalization certificate info if you are sailing without a passport?

Yes - that's a sticky wicket, isn't it.  My mom finally had to get herself a Canadian passport because USBP were becoming increasingly irate at her using her UK passport to enter the US, because she didn't live in the UK.  Anyways, try their contact page.  https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/contact-us.html

On 4/16/2022 at 11:39 AM, bushwhack77 said:

This is a perfect example of unnecessary, and illogical government control of the masses.

A sovereign country having requirements on entry to their country? wow..

you must really hate border services, immigration at borders, customs and etc. 

On 4/25/2022 at 8:12 PM, JT1962 said:

Yes, several of us had been trying to tell Csrnival for a couple of weeks that it was required, but for some reason they didn’t seem to think it applied to them.

My PVP was saying this as well, that it didn't apply to cruise ships.  It was clear from reading the wealth of statements in print from the government in Canada that it did.   But he's a great PVP and far too smart to be coming up with anything like that on the fly.  I am certain he was just being consistent with company policy, which he had to do.  

Still waiting for any sort of official communication, like a direct email, considering I have a cruise booked that is coming up.  Absolutely nothing so far from Carnival.  Seems odd, I mean what purpose could it serve to wait until shortly before the cruise is here to let people know they have to do this thing?