QV dry dock

Stu UK

I expect it's a load of stuff  below decks that will be of no interest to you or I.  Hopefully it will also include some Soft Furnishing in the guest areas that is badly in need of refreshing ....The Corridor Carpeting for one .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SilverHengroen
4 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Also YouTube video note her missing lifeboats. Amazed how close public can get to her. 

Worrying if the trend has spread from the QE2 and Queen Mary to the still-in-service ships 😅

some fantastic footage though, I hope Harland and Wolff are successful in the relaunch of their ship repair and ship building. Maybe one day we could see a H&W Cunarder after so narrowly missing out with QM2! 

As scheduled, QV entered the drydock at Harland & Wolff today. That happened around 9:00am this morning. Here are some screen shots from marinetraffic.

Screenshot_20220502-071520_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.323141379de9b5f585a07c00cdd2d9ea.jpg

Screenshot_20220502-072732_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.f8e033877d46a132f5e77a881a9e26cf.jpg

According to the Harland & Wolff announcement, QV is scheduled to be in drydock through 19 May. As I mentioned on another thread, the Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule has QV back in Southampton on 2 June prior to her resumption of service on 5 June. I'm not sure what she will be doing between 19 May and 2 June. I suppose a day or two of sea trials will be in order during that time.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

QV exited the drydock at Harland & Wolff around 7am this morning. Looks like she was in drydock a couple days beyond the 19 May date mentioned in the original announcement from Harland & Wolff. Southampton VTS now shows QV returning to Southampton on 1 June prior to her resumption of service on 5 June.

Screenshot_20220522-014041_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.1f364ddf6e09524a3ba30f3c492f4aa2.jpg

• Like 3

Here is what QV has been doing for sea trials following her drydock. After leaving Belfast Monday afternoon, marinetraffic indicated she reached a speed of 23.9 knots at one point. That's worth noting since some sources rate her maximum speed as 23.7 knots. Then later in the evening and into the early hours of Tuesday morning, QV was running this pattern in the Irish Sea east of County Louth, Ireland as seen on marinetraffic.

1723113297_QVSeaTrials2022-05-2324.thumb.png.caf07fa1ae26488044f16b4eb10080f4.png

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Some more interesting sea trial maneuvers for QV shown toward the right. But what most caught my eye was seeing she had actually reached a speed of 24.8 knots yesterday at the point I've highlighted below on her past track. Better than the 23.9 knots I reported I had seen in my previous reply.

Screenshot_20220524-021546_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.00e508d8e3f042124ed1612105a7de1d.jpg

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Guest SilverHengroen
2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Some more interesting sea trial maneuvers for QV shown toward the right. But what most caught my eye was seeing she had actually reached a speed of 24.8 knots yesterday at the point I've highlighted below on her past track. Better than the 23.9 knots I reported I had seen in my previous reply.

Screenshot_20220524-021546_MarineTraffic.thumb.jpg.00e508d8e3f042124ed1612105a7de1d.jpg

With no passengers = much reduced hotel load there would presumably be more power available for propulsion than under normal service conditions? 

1 hour ago, SilverHengroen said:

With no passengers = much reduced hotel load there would presumably be more power available for propulsion than under normal service conditions? 

plus  some tide behind her perhaps?

In QE's first season, we had a very delayed departure from Rotterdam, and, for a prolonged period in the night, went at 23.9 knots, in an effort not to get to Le Havre too late. When the captain told us this, he finished with: 'I didn't know this ship could go that fast.' And now QV has gone even faster. 😀😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

In QE's first season, we had a very delayed departure from Rotterdam, and, for a prolonged period in the night, went at 23.9 knots, in an effort not to get to Le Havre too late. When the captain told us this, he finished with: 'I didn't know this ship could go that fast.' And now QV has gone even faster. 😀😀

on our first QE cruise in 2010 she did 26knots through the Gibraltar straits with the east bound current

On 5/24/2022 at 3:12 AM, bluemarble said:

Newbuild sea trial speeds are carefully done to eliminate the effects of current, but after a repair period, that is not a consideration.

23 hours ago, SilverHengroen said:

Not really.  There is a maximum power the azipods can produce, and there is sufficient generator capacity to provide hotel load and full power to the pods.  The azipods can use a maximum of 34.5Mw of power, but the generators can produce 63.4Mw of power, or almost twice as much (and hotel load is around 8-10Mw). Besides, even without passengers, you still have the lights on, the AC running throughout the ship, and you are still cooking for the crew.  The difference in hotel load between a full load of passengers, and no passengers is about 1-2Mw.  The other thing, is that the power to speed relationship is exponential, so the last one or two knots of speed require many times the power of the first two knots of speed.

I worked on a tanker that would do 15 knots on a good day, but when we got into the Gulf Stream current, while our "speed through the water" remained 15 knots, our "speed over the ground" jumped as high as 19-20 knots.

• Like 4

QV is departing Belfast now. She's reporting Portland as her next destination with an ETA of 06:00 on May 30th.

Southampton VTS has her arriving at the City Terminal at 20:00 on June 1st. Then she's scheduled to move to the QEII terminal the evening of June 2nd and will eventually end up at the Ocean Terminal the evening of June 4th where she will be until her first scheduled departure with passengers on June 5th to the Mediterranean.

• Like 3