Has anyone ever been "bored" with Bermuda?

csoud68

Maybe im in the minority but Bermuda leaves me wanting more. They have pretty beaches but the overall vibe of that island is kinda dead. I  am going back because my wife wants to go. Im happy to cruise and get in the sea days and hopefully one day in while at the port. I have done my research and the beaches, although beautiful, have nothing else more than basic bathrooms. It seems not much has changed in 13 years.

St Thomas, St Maarten, Puerto Rico D.R. and even Cozumel are better stops.

16 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Maybe im in the minority but Bermuda leaves me wanting more. They have pretty beaches but the overall vibe of that island is kinda dead. I  am going back because my wife wants to go. Im happy to cruise and get in the sea days and hopefully one day in while at the port. I have done my research and the beaches, although beautiful, have nothing else more than basic bathrooms. It seems not much has changed in 13 years.

I have been there over 15 times and never been bored but I like beautiful beaches, beaches that have not been spoiled, interesting history, forts, a relatively safe island that is not a dump. If you like touristy ports with the same shops at all the ports, the same Sr.Frogs or Margeritaville,  that is not Bermuda. Bermuda is not the Caribbean. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

We've been  regular visitors to Bermuda for 35 years. Never been bored. Beautiful place...wonderful people.

You're wrong about beaches having nothing more than basic bathrooms. Horseshoe Bay has food, drink, showers. Tobacco Bay has food and drink too.

I guess if you like loud music, an overabundance of drunks at tourist trap bars some of the places you've named would be appealing 🙄.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

We've been  regular visitors to Bermuda for 35 years. Never been bored. Beautiful place...wonderful people.

You're wrong about beaches having nothing more than basic bathrooms. Horseshoe Bay has food, drink, showers. Tobacco Bay has food and drink too.

Well thank you..I read in another thread on cc that Horseshoe bay had their eatery closed. That is where i saw that.

And ill check out Tobacco Bay..

The previous gentleman was right..Bermuda is Beautiful but im not into walking tours, museums etc..

But again..the beaches are just fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Well thank you..I read in another thread on cc that Horseshoe bay had their eatery closed. That is where i saw that

Oh...is that the thread where I asked "Where did you read that?" and the poster never replied...for an obvious reason ?

7 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

Well thank you..I read in another thread on cc that Horseshoe bay had their eatery closed. That is where i saw that.

And ill check out Tobacco Bay..

The concessions at Horseshoe Bay and Tobacco Bay always closed off season. Not enough beachgoers to sustain a business in the winter and early spring. In Bermuda it is not beach season until the end of May. They usually open  around the end of April. 

On the question of being bored....yes, for me, my answer is "somewhat"...having been there multiple times, I understand your sentiment....

That said, warm (and brutally hot/humid) weather, beautiful water, clean and safe environs, and welcoming people compensate for the lack of immediate, in-your-face, fun things to do. 

Find your own level, I suppose. 

I do know that when I visit the Bahamas, I don't even leave the ship.  In Bermuda, I'm out and about. 

That says a lot.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JGmf said:

On the question of being bored....yes, for me, my answer is "somewhat"...having been there multiple times, I understand your sentiment....

That said, warm (and brutally hot/humid) weather, beautiful water, clean and safe environs, and welcoming people compensate for the lack of immediate, in-your-face, fun things to do. 

Find your own level, I suppose. 

I do know that when I visit the Bahamas, I don't even leave the ship.  In Bermuda, I'm out and about. 

That says a lot.

Yes i agree...i am going because my wife is excited to go..i told her id been and she would probably not like it since i know her tastes...but my wife wants to experience it anyway.. 

We will have a nice day at the beach.. My wife does love the ship so maybe we can stay onboard the second day.

But the cruise will be a great time overall.

Edited by csoud68

Heading to Bermuda this June on Summit.   This will be our 6th visit and we have never been bored there.

We will go to  Horseshoe Bay and hike up along the cliffs as well as relax on the beach.  We also enjoy Harbor Nights in Hamilton, will probably go early to shop and enjoy dinner.  There is also St. Georges which we enjoy as well. We will be busy.   That being said, everyone enjoys different things,  what works for us may not work for someone else.

• Like 3

We will be going for 4th time to Bermuda on the Joy on 5/29. In my opinion it is just beautiful. I could never get bored. The pink bus and ferry system is cheap, efficient and easy to use. It takes you anywhere you want to go on the Island. Including Hamilton, St George’s and Horseshoe Bay Beach

• Like 1

On 4/13/2022 at 5:17 PM, njhorseman said:

I guess if you like loud music, an overabundance of drunks at tourist trap bars some of the places you've named would be appealing 🙄.

wow, youve been visiting bermuda for a long time.

so that bodes the question...what excursions/activities do you recommend? thanks

On 4/19/2022 at 4:52 PM, cyclist_guy1 said:

wow, youve been visiting bermuda for a long time.

so that bodes the question...what excursions/activities do you recommend? thanks

For a first time visitor, subject of course to your personal tastes and how much time you have in Bermuda, among the top things to do in my book are a beach day at Horseshoe Bay, a walking tour of the historic town of St. George's, lunch or dinner at any number of authentic Bermudian pubs including the Hog Penny in Hamilton (my favorite), or the Swizzle Inn in Bailey's Bay, or the Frog and Onion at the Royal Naval Dockyard. Also a visit to the National Museum of Bermuda, which is also located at the Dockyard. Other possibilities include Crystal and Fantasy Caves, which is near the Swizzle Inn...and both aren't far from St. George's . Also not far from St. George's is Tobacco Bay beach, which is not nearly as impressive a beach as Horseshoe Bay but is a good spot for snorkeling .

• Thanks 1

Been there four times and still have a list of stuff to do. Our previous activities --

• Renting a boat, either boston whaler when four of us or pontoon when six of us, and tooling out to the Vixen and hopping around for hours. My kids still talk about this 11 years later.
  • Renting pedal bikes and riding the Railway Trail. We went at sunrise (and we are not morning people!)
  • Ice cream at Bailey's Ice Cream Parlor
  • Rum Swizzles at the Swizzle Inn
  • Crystal Caves
  • Wandering around St. George, catching the wench dunking
  • Exploring Southlands Park
  • Tom Moore's Jungle, ie. Blue Hole Park
  • Beach hopping between Horseshoe and Warwick Long Bay
  • Climbing to the top of the Gibbs Hill Lighthouse
  • Walking through Palm Grove Gardens
  • BAMZ - Bermuda Aquarium, Museum, and Zoo
  • Sea Glass Beach outside Dockyard

Here's a good list: https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-things-to-do-in-bermuda

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sassycruiser said:

Seaglass beach is really cool if you like seaglass.  It’s a small place but I still have 2 pieces I picked up years ago.  

Taking seaglass from that beach is not allowed. They have tightened up on that and your ship will confiscate it if they see it. 

On 4/13/2022 at 5:07 PM, csoud68 said:

Our answer is no, but I understand how you could feel that way.  Bermuda has a British vibe, which is more formal than the Caribbean vibe that is found in the other places that you mention.  It all comes down to what you are looking for.

4 hours ago, davy jones said:

Our answer is no, but I understand how you could feel that way.  Bermuda has a British vibe, which is more formal than the Caribbean vibe that is found in the other places that you mention.  It all comes down to what you are looking for.

its all a mute point anyway as we arent going there anymore..my heart isnt broken.