Group Live Ruby Princess 4/16-4/30

CineGraphic

On 4/22/2022 at 2:47 PM, CineGraphic said:

I believe they are doing what they can to fill gaps. I’ve noticed a lot more bar staff from India instead of the Philippines. I’ve heard that getting folks vaccinated before signing on has been a problem in some countries. 

Why the cruise industry is facing crew shortage? | Crew Center (crew-center.com)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, grak said:

Any reports of covid on the last  week of this cruise?

They didn’t tell those of us who were on the ship but one side of deck 12 was blocked off and that’s where they keep people quarantined. So my guess is that there were cases. 

21 hours ago, clueless2 said:

OK I'm going to hijack this excellent thread and ask where you stayed and how you liked it.  We're staying three nights pre-cruise in Sept.

You could also look at Courtyard by Marriott at 580 Beach Street. One block up the street is the Buena Vista. Good food and GREAT Irish Coffee. Cable car turntable right outside @ Hyde & Powell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grak said:

2 hours ago, Killin Time said:

They didn’t tell those of us who were on the ship but one side of deck 12 was blocked off and that’s where they keep people quarantined. So my guess is that there were cases. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Ruby-Princess-cruise-ship-reports-37-coronavirus-17135277.php

This was a report of the week before when we disembarked on the 23rd of April, and this came out 5 days after us departing on the 28th, so something might come out soon for the ones who disembarked on the 30th.

Question for anyone that was on a B2B this past weekend or the weekend before. After you finished your in-transit walk through with customs and you boarded back on the ship, did they allow you to return to your cabins or were you blocked off from entering your deck like all the new passengers that had to wait until around 1:00???

1 minute ago, cruisingpeople said:

Question for anyone that was on a B2B this past weekend or the weekend before. After you finished your in-transit walk through with customs and you boarded back on the ship, did they allow you to return to your cabins or were you blocked off from entering your deck like all the new passengers that had to wait until around 1:00???

We were able to walk back to our cabin.

Our steward changed for the 2nd week, so our old steward introduced us to the new one on turnaround day. They did a great job getting our cabin ready during breakfast.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grak said:

My travel party of 4 have all tested negative.  One who did not mask at all has a run of the mill cold. The rest of us masked indoors but not while eating or drinking and did not get Covid or a cold. We are all testing and if that changes I’ll update. 

• Like 7

On 5/1/2022 at 11:27 AM, PacnGoNow said:

PCL is responsible that every passenger has the proper documentation to enter a foreign country, just are airlines. 

Airlines are responsible that every passenger has the proper documentation by denying boarding to any passenger who does not have that. Airlines are not responsible for the passengers actually getting the needed documentation. Same with cruise lines.

Both airlines and cruise lines notify passengers they need to have proper documentation. Sometimes the notification is in notices or terms that passengers choose not to read or check they have read it without actually doing so.

This will be worse starting in May of next year when many countries in Europe will start requiring those visiting Europe to have applied for approval in advance (with a fee of course).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Airlines are responsible that every passenger has the proper documentation by denying boarding to any passenger who does not have that. Airlines are not responsible for the passengers actually getting the needed documentation. Same with cruise lines.

Both airlines and cruise lines notify passengers they need to have proper documentation. Sometimes the notification is in notices or terms that passengers choose not to read or check they have read it without actually doing so.

This will be worse starting in May of next year when many countries in Europe will start requiring those visiting Europe to have applied for approval in advance (with a fee of course).

You are spot on!

Won’t those ETIA’s be fun!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, grak said:

As I walked down Caribe towards C243 I noticed 1 room being stripped down and sanitized mid cruise. Should have been my steward (it was only a few doors down & well within his section) but it was a different crew. Wanted to ask but didn't. Think it was the same room an 'officer' walked to earlier. 

Anyone know who left via ambulance?

Edited by Ombud

15 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

My travel party of 4 have all tested negative.  One who did not mask at all has a run of the mill cold. The rest of us masked indoors but not while eating or drinking and did not get Covid or a cold. We are all testing and if that changes I’ll update. 

My husband and I masked diligently and yesterday we tested negative for Covid. Sadly one of my mother’s bridge friends was on this trip and now has Covid. Her symptoms and positive test are from after leaving the boat so it’s not going to be reflected in numbers reported to CDC. How many other passengers will have a similar experience? 

• Like 2

Just now, Killin Time said:

Her symptoms and positive test are from after leaving the boat so it’s not going to be reflected in numbers reported to CDC.How many other passengers will have a similar experience?

1/3 (2 out of 6) of my group tested positive for Covid after our March 10 - 20 cruise on the Enchanted Princess.  Luckily they were boosted and both cases were mild.  With self testing increasingly easy and available it is inevitable that cases being reported to the CDC are grossly under reported whether the source is a cruise, office, school, church, family, etc. or unknown.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, capriccio said:

1/3 (2 out of 6) of my group tested positive for Covid after our March 10 - 20 cruise on the Enchanted Princess.  Luckily they were boosted and both cases were mild.  With self testing increasingly easy and available it is inevitable that cases being reported to the CDC are grossly under reported whether the source is a cruise, office, school, church, family, etc. or unknown.

The Ruby Princess was different from your examples.  I can maintain social distancing at the office, with family etc. It was not possible on the Ruby. We all differ in what we consider to be acceptable risk. For me the risk on Princess at this time is above my comfort level. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Killin Time said:

The Ruby Princess was different from your examples.  I can maintain social distancing at the office, with family etc. It was not possible on the Ruby. We all differ in what we consider to be acceptable risk. For me the risk on Princess at this time is above my comfort level. 

The ones that were a bit touch and go when it comes to distance on the Ruby for me was lifts, queueing to get off the ship for excursions, theatre seats, and tender there was someone next to me constantly coughing (I was fine). Restaurants seating was same distance as back home so not too bad.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Killin Time said:

I thought you were commenting on not being able to determine the level of Covid in a.particular venue (a ship in this case) because reporting is problematic.  I didn’t realize you were discussing risk and agree with you that everyone needs to determine their acceptable level. 

I felt very safe on our January (during omicron) Caribbean Princess cruise sailing at only 33% capacity with required (and enforced) masking indoors.  I felt less safe on the Enchanted at 66% capacity with required masking for embarkation, disembarkation, tenders, shore excursion transportation plus we chose to wear them in elevators and the theater.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

I thought you were commenting on not being able to determine the level of Covid in a.particular venue (a ship in this case) because reporting is problematic.  I didn’t realize you were discussing risk and agree with you that everyone needs to determine their acceptable level. 

I felt very safe on our January (during omicron) Caribbean Princess cruise sailing at only 33% capacity with required (and enforced) masking indoors.  I felt less safe on the Enchanted at 66% capacity with required masking for embarkation, disembarkation, tenders, shore excursion transportation plus we chose to wear them in elevators and the theater.  

I was specifically talking about the subject topic which is last week’s Ruby Princess cruise. There have been a number of media reports about recent Covid cases on the Ruby. We were at almost full capacity (I think not completely full due to retaining some cabins for quarantine).  There were long lines for all dining venues. Only opening half of the buffet areas created a cascading effect that meant people were close together in lines for extended periods. Your trips sound much better with more space available and ability to social distance. Glad that you had less crowds. And glad that neither of us caught Covid….

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 1:43 PM, Killin Time said:

I CAME HOME  WITH covid on April30th.  No sypmtons til midnight Saturday.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:43 AM, Killin Time said:

All of the ships have an area blocked off for quarantine currently; it's part of their agreement with CDC

I made a note of the captains announcement of 2570 passengers and 1072 crew for this sailing. Ruby max capacity is 3080 passengers with 1200 full crew. I’m certain of the # crew announced but the last two digits on # pax my be off by epsilon.  

We were at 83% capacity with 89% crew.  All 3 dining rooms were open at all times so that led to the specialty restaurants alternating nights they were open. I was told they didn’t have enough of key kitchen crew  to open both and all 3 MDR s. 

My PCR test and antigen tests continue to be negative. The rest of my travel party has continued negative antigen tests. 4 out of 4 negative. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jwattle said:

All of the ships have an area blocked off for quarantine currently; it's part of their agreement with CDC

Plus cabins are being used to quarantine new crew.  On our January cruise our servers told us each new crew member was quarantined for 10 days IIRC in a balcony cabin.  Many had never seen one before much less had an entire cabin to themselves.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:17 PM, HaveDogWillTravel said:

@Killin Timeis absolutely correct in their assessment of the lines at peak times. I dealt with it by eating at odd times and bringing food back to my room for snacking on later. I did have an advantage with Club class for dinner on 3 evenings and for lunch one day but I did experience the same difficulties getting specialty dining for 2 nights.  However by accepting a time and day  that was not my first or second choice we managed & had fabulous experiences.   I used the lido deck grill, room service & International cafe as well as eating lunches in port  on two days to have great meals the rest of the time. 
My nephew and friend used the buffet at off peak times and said it was fine. At peak hours they said it was a madhouse. They were happy with selections and quality.  That’s second hand news so take it as you wish. 

I am totally stoked about the new IC offerings and I think that’s going to be a huge help. 

Also the elevators outside of mornings were ridiculous.  My health ap shows I averaged walking 16 floors and 10,000 steps a day. I simply did not use the elevators.  If you can’t or won’t use the stairs I think you’ll have problems. 

The long lines at embarkation (& guest services & internet cafe& Ocean Front) were due to a poor roll out of the ArriveCAN requirements.   Watch the next few sailings and see how embarkation goes. I’d not use this first ArriveCAN sailing as the poster child for future sailings. 

I have to give you credit for being so flexible.  To me, all of those compromises do not constitute a vacation.  We have cruised 47 days on 5 cruises out of San Francisco and Long Beach.  I ended up isolated for 9 of 15 days with Covid on our last cruise.  Things went very well early on.  No more than half full, and very good compliance with masking.  Things rapidly deteriorated, more crowded, and less and less masking.  That's it for us.  We gave it a go, but it is no longer a vacation.  It is very "forced" and constantly compromising.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I made a note of the captains announcement of 2570 passengers and 1072 crew for this sailing. Ruby max capacity is 3080 passengers with 1200 full crew. I’m certain of the # crew announced but the last two digits on # pax my be off by epsilon.  

We were at 83% capacity with 89% crew.  All 3 dining rooms were open at all times so that led to the specialty restaurants alternating nights they were open. I was told they didn’t have enough of key kitchen crew  to open both and all 3 MDR s. 

My PCR test and antigen tests continue to be negative. The rest of my travel party has continued negative antigen tests. 4 out of 4 negative. 

This 89% crew for 83% passengers is deceiving.  This 89% includes behind the scenes crew, Deck, Engineering, and Technical for example.  These positions pretty much have to be fully manned no matter what the passenger load is.  Watches have to be stood, and bearings oiled no matter what the passenger percentage is.  It is hard to cut corners crew wise here.  The ship has to be pretty fully staffed to run safely and continuously.  So crew serving passengers can, and obviously have been cut back in a much larger percentage.  Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I made a note of the captains announcement of 2570 passengers and 1072 crew for this sailing. Ruby max capacity is 3080 passengers with 1200 full crew.

Princess considers max capacity double occupancy in all cabins.   3080 is not the max capacity; it does not include 3rd and 4th berths.  With all berths filled max capacity is around 3700 IIRC.

• Like 2