Hotel recommendation for Southampton

masscruiser2010

On 4/16/2022 at 4:27 PM, D&N said:

We've never stayed in Southampton before a cruise before. I've stayed in several on business in the past and wouldn't recommend any of them for pre cruise. At that stage the requirement was to be near the premises I was visiting and that I could easily work from the hotel room in evenings.

In six weeks we'll be staying at Room2 Hometel.

We pre-booked that and Southampton Harbour. But decided Room2 suited us better.

Room sizes are similar but Room2 is normally much cheaper.

We won't have a car. Our choice might have been different otherwise.

Had Covid restrictions been such that restaurants near Room2 were not open and Harbour was offering restaurant facilities we'd have chosen Harbour.

Room2 is fractionally further from Ocean Terminal than Harbour but closer to Mayflower.

There appear to be several decent dinner restaurants within an easy walk of Room2. And it's near White Star Tavern, which also offers rooms but appears to offer excellent breakfast options. Room2 only offered continental when I last checked but we're happy to walk a short distance for food.

I'm sure most hotels would do this but I recently confirmed that Room2 will accept Covid tests mailed to us at the hotel and look after them until our arrival should we need that service.

I'll report on Room2 after our stay, sometime after 29 May, but more likely after 13 June as I can't imagine I'll be that bored on QM2 that I'll be doing hotel reviews!

Room2 is new to me, but it sounds interesting. I look forward to your review. I love an aparthotel if I'm staying for more than 1 night. Going out for a "fry-up" is fine once in a while, but a simpler breakfast while I lounge in my PJs is my preference. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn on Hebert Walker Ave in a few weeks. I know that it is very close to the terminals but wondering if it is an easy walk. Don't want to be dodging cars on a highway. Does anyone have any experience walking from the Holiday Inn the the ship?

Thanks

Jack

22 hours ago, frankp01 said:

We walked from the Novotel to the Ocean Terminal. It was a nice December day, and there's a pavement/sidewalk the entire way. We had set out thinking we'd take a taxi, and ended up just walking the entire way. We only had one bag each, and they're easily rolled.

I’ve stayed at the Novotel a couple of times. Works for me for a few reasons: 

1. Almost opposite the train station (where I normally arrive from London). 

2. Walkable to Southampton city centre. 

3. Good value. 

4. Has a pool and a gym. 

5. Close to the cruise terminals (I must confess I have never walked with luggage!)

6. They do parking and stay packages. 

7. I collect and spend Accor points. As a gold member, you get free upgrades if available and there is a bar (albeit average) for a quick nightcap. 

If you want even cheaper, there is an Ibis too. 

I think it depends what you want; this is one of the functional options. It is certainly not luxury. 

3 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn on Hebert Walker Ave in a few weeks. I know that it is very close to the terminals but wondering if it is an easy walk. Don't want to be dodging cars on a highway. Does anyone have any experience walking from the Holiday Inn the the ship?

Thanks

Jack

No experience, but Google Street View shows that all the major roads you might use have proper pavements for pedestrians. There are no Street View images of the roads inside the port. Hopefully someone who has walked through the port can comment on that. I came across an article suggesting that the port authority might restrict pedestrian access to some of the internal routes on health and safety grounds, it didn't give any examples of that happening though.

26 minutes ago, D&N said:

No experience, but Google Street View shows that all the major roads you might use have proper pavements for pedestrians. There are no Street View images of the roads inside the port. Hopefully someone who has walked through the port can comment on that. I came across an article suggesting that the port authority might restrict pedestrian access to some of the internal routes on health and safety grounds, it didn't give any examples of that happening though.

Thanks D&N

Jack

50 minutes ago, D&N said:

Hopefully someone who has walked through the port can comment on that.

A few years back I walked in to the Ocean Terminal.  We were on a short 4-night voyage on QE and had only hand luggage.  It was a dry crisp winter day and we wanted a bit of a leg stretch before boarding. 

There were level footpaths all the way to the terminal.  A guard at the gate queried our intentions, but happily waved us through when I showed our e-tickets and said that we wanted to walk.  Signage is clear and the ship itself provides a obvious destination objective.

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn.  QM2 was docked at Mayflower and we were literally able to walk out the door, around the hotel and through the gates to the ship.  This was in 2016 so I'm not sure if this still works but it sure was convenient!

15 minutes ago, stoogesmom said:

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn.  QM2 was docked at Mayflower and we were literally able to walk out the door, around the hotel and through the gates to the ship.  This was in 2016 so I'm not sure if this still works but it sure was convenient!

You may find that The ship was berthed at The City Cruise Terminal Berth 101 which is very close to The Holiday Inn. The Mayflower Cruise Terminal Berth 106  is  1.2miles away from The Holiday Inn, Herbert Walker Avenue.

28 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Is there some way to know in advance which terminal the QM2 will be docked at for the May 8th Southampton departure ?

Thanks

Jack

Mayflower Cruise Terminal

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk//Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Is there some way to know in advance which terminal the QM2 will be docked at for the May 8th Southampton departure ?

Thanks

Jack

It seems QM2 will depart Mayflower Terminal. From the Holiday Inn you really do not want to walk the route with luggage. The roads are extremely busy along the dock frontage then inside the dock gates it is very industrial and pedestrians very rare. Get a cab from hotel, convenient and far safer which can easily be booked the night before.

• Like 1

We stayed at the Hilton at the Aegas Bowl in Southampton -> 15 min drive to port roughly, as we had the car parking service booked.    As Cricket fans we loved the room with balcony view on the cricket pitch...    Was a very nice Hilton, but there is no longer an executive lounge for those with status with Hilton (I stay at far too many Hiltons to use another brand these days).

I would note they do a stay and cruise package too, but we just thought that seemed too much hassle, adding 30 mins min to our journey home.

• 3 weeks later...

While the question is asking for a hotel, it is worth remembering there are lots of 'bed-and-breakfast' places quite close to the docks, which will usually be a fair bit cheaper and more individual than the big hotels.  These are concentrated around "Hill Lane" and "Landguard Road" areas.   While in easy walking distance,  if you have several cases you may want to factor in the price of transport to the docks.

Around a decade ago I stayed in one on business and had a good conversation over breakfast with some very pleasant American travellers.  I got into the whole conversation about the differences between England, the UK, the British Isles, Great Britain ... 
🙂 

On 4/18/2022 at 6:00 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Thanks

Jack

The Walk is possible to The Mayflower Terminal , very little traffic  inside port along Herbert Walker Avenue mainly Taxis . There is a pavement,  Google shows time about 26mins and 1.2ml distance. It's easy to get to walking. I Did  it  last week getting off QM2 with two wheeled cases  as it was a beautiful morning and wanted some exercise.  (Stay on Herbert Walker Avenue as there is no through way any more between City and Horizon Terminals to the Mayflower) you have to use Herbert Walker Avenue

Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 09.53.32.png

Edited by LifeonMars

4 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

The Walk is possible to The Mayflower Terminal , very little traffic  inside port along Herbert Walker Avenue mainly Taxis . There is a pavement,  Google shows time about 26mins and 1.2ml distance. It's easy to get to walking. I Did  it  last week getting off QM2 with two wheeled cases  as it was a beautiful morning and wanted some exercise.  (Stay on Herbert Walker Avenue as there is no through way any more between City and Horizon Terminals to the Mayflower) you have to use Herbert Walker Avenue

Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 09.53.32.png

Don't know if you noted that Jack was planning to walk the reverse route the afternoon after you made the trip (8th May) lol.

We plan to take a taxi from our hotel near Queens Park, but still hoping for an update from Jack after he disembarks tomorrow as to how his lateral flow test booking went and if he then walked as you did.

• Haha 1

Here is a 3rd vote for Premier Inn near West Quay.  We stayed there twice and loved the location.  The room was small but that was just where we slept.  We loved their breakfast and the front desk was very helpful coordinating taxis for everyone.

On 5/14/2022 at 8:34 AM, D&N said:

Don't know if you noted that Jack was planning to walk the reverse route the afternoon after you made the trip (8th May) lol.

We plan to take a taxi from our hotel near Queens Park, but still hoping for an update from Jack after he disembarks tomorrow as to how his lateral flow test booking went and if he then walked as you did.

We decided not to walk from the Holiday Inn to the ship. It just wasn't how I wanted to start a voyage on the QM2. Our Cab ride was 5.80 pounds. I tipped the driver 3 pounds and he was very appreciative. The weather was actually perfect for walking and yes, we could have done it. We had already jumped so many hurdles getting to that point, we just wanted to get on board. 

Jack

• Like 5