Hotel recommendation for Southampton

masscruiser2010

Copy/paste

additional information 

The hotel has 119 luxurious rooms including 10 Suites and 10 Studios; all with our exclusive Harbour Hotels Little Luxuries, including Nespresso coffee machines, 400 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, complimentary gin & sherry

Complimentary use of HarSPA

24-hour room service

We've never stayed in Southampton before a cruise before. I've stayed in several on business in the past and wouldn't recommend any of them for pre cruise. At that stage the requirement was to be near the premises I was visiting and that I could easily work from the hotel room in evenings.

In six weeks we'll be staying at Room2 Hometel.

We pre-booked that and Southampton Harbour. But decided Room2 suited us better.

Room sizes are similar but Room2 is normally much cheaper.

We won't have a car. Our choice might have been different otherwise.

Had Covid restrictions been such that restaurants near Room2 were not open and Harbour was offering restaurant facilities we'd have chosen Harbour.

Room2 is fractionally further from Ocean Terminal than Harbour but closer to Mayflower.

There appear to be several decent dinner restaurants within an easy walk of Room2. And it's near White Star Tavern, which also offers rooms but appears to offer excellent breakfast options. Room2 only offered continental when I last checked but we're happy to walk a short distance for food.

I'm sure most hotels would do this but I recently confirmed that Room2 will accept Covid tests mailed to us at the hotel and look after them until our arrival should we need that service.

I'll report on Room2 after our stay, sometime after 29 May, but more likely after 13 June as I can't imagine I'll be that bored on QM2 that I'll be doing hotel reviews!

Edited by D&N
I'm sure I typed 'service" but 'several' appeared
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, D&N said:

We've never stayed in Southampton before a cruise before. I've stayed in several on business in the past and wouldn't recommend any of them for pre cruise. At that stage the requirement was to be near the premises I was visiting and that I could easily work from the hotel room in evenings.

In six weeks we'll be staying at Room2 Hometel.

We pre-booked that and Southampton Harbour. But decided Room2 suited us better.

Room sizes are similar but Room2 is normally much cheaper.

We won't have a car. Our choice might have been different otherwise.

Had Covid restrictions been such that restaurants near Room2 were not open and Harbour was offering restaurant facilities we'd have chosen Harbour.

Room2 is fractionally further from Ocean Terminal than Harbour but closer to Mayflower.

There appear to be several decent dinner restaurants within an easy walk of Room2. And it's near White Star Tavern, which also offers rooms but appears to offer excellent breakfast options. Room2 only offered continental when I last checked but we're happy to walk a short distance for food.

I'm sure most hotels would do this but I recently confirmed that Room2 will accept Covid tests mailed to us at the hotel and look after them until our arrival should we need that service.

I'll report on Room2 after our stay, sometime after 29 May, but more likely after 13 June as I can't imagine I'll be that bored on QM2 that I'll be doing hotel reviews!

Southampton Harbour Hotel and Room2 are both nearer Ocean Cruise Terminal (Berth 46)  then the Mayflower Cruise Terminal. (Berth 106) 

SHH to Mayflower Cruise Terminal about 40mins Walk

SHH to Ocean  Cruise Terminal about 18min Walk

Room2 to Mayflower Cruise Terminal  35min Walk

Room 2 to Ocean Cruise Terminal  10 min Walk.

Recently  QM2 has been using Berth 106 Mayflower Cruise Terminal for Docking.

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Edited by LifeonMars

5 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

Southampton Harbour Hotel and Room2 are both nearer Ocean Cruise Terminal (Berth 46)  then the Mayflower Cruise Terminal. (Berth 106) 

SHH to Mayflower Cruise Terminal about 40mins Walk

SHH to Ocean  Cruise Terminal about 18min Walk

Room2 to Mayflower Cruise Terminal  35min Walk

Room 2 to Ocean Cruise Terminal  10 min Walk.

Walk? 🫡

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Walk? 🫡

If it's a beautiful day with minimal luggage, why not ? 

Some of us like to keep fit, especially if we know we are going to be on board a ship for at least a week. 

Edited by LifeonMars

For me, it's just somewhere to rest my head the night before embarkation, so I usually stay at the Premier Inn. (the one nearest the port) It's a short walk to shops if I need any last-minute items. Good breakfast and easy call for a taxi in the morning. 

• Like 1

We stayed there a few years ago, it was fine except the fire alarm went off during the night and there were no staff around to deal with it.

We hung around on the pavement outside and decided between us that it was a false alarm and went back in !

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

We stayed there a few years ago, it was fine except the fire alarm went off during the night and there were no staff around to deal with it.

We hung around on the pavement outside and decided between us that it was a false alarm and went back in !

NaIvely, I should have imagined it was illegal not to have someone on the staff in charge of dealing with such a thing.

20 minutes ago, LifeonMars said:

The White Star Tavern, is now owned by Fullers Brewery. The Pub has just  reopened after some renovations.

https://www.whitestartavern.co.uk/

We're planning to walk the 200 metres from Room2 to White Star for breakfast. The options look familiar although I'm not sure it was a Fullers website last time I looked.

We hope to dine at Max's Brasserie, which is 40 metres further from the White Star. Although the White Star would be one of various options.

Apart from the higher price we weren't inspired by the sample menus at SHH.

On the walking issue; we'll take a taxi for our luggage but if there was an unforeseen problem in getting one we could walk quite easily.

7 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Walk?

We walked from the Novotel to the Ocean Terminal. It was a nice December day, and there's a pavement/sidewalk the entire way. We had set out thinking we'd take a taxi, and ended up just walking the entire way. We only had one bag each, and they're easily rolled.

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

For me, it's just somewhere to rest my head the night before embarkation, so I usually stay at the Premier Inn. (the one nearest the port) It's a short walk to shops if I need any last-minute items. Good breakfast and easy call for a taxi in the morning. 

Is this the West Quay one? Then you taxi to the port?

17 minutes ago, impsyched said:

Is this the West Quay one? Then you taxi to the port?

Yes, West Quay. There is a lobby phone with a direct line to a taxi dispatcher. Unless traffic patterns have changed, they pull up right in front and the driver comes in to call the name of the passenger (there are usually lots of passengers waiting).

We stayed at Room2 in December and were very happy.  Sort of an Aparthotel with a tiny kitchen.  Room to spread out with a couch and a table and chairs.  We ordered in dinner and had plenty of room to set it all up.  We could see the Queen Mary out the front window of the hotel.  Very short cab ride with all of our luggage and hat boxes.  Attentive and enthusiastic staff.  We would stay there again.

• Thanks 1

Although Harbour is the best hotel close to the port, one’s personal ‘Southampton’ favourite is Lime Wood and hopefully could be also considered by Cunarders.  Know D&N and other foodies would appreciate the ambiance and dining options.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Seconded - Premier is comfortable, reasonably priced, convenient to the West Quay mall for wine and other last minute shopping - we’ve stayed there several times before QM2 T/A’s home.