Panama canal full transit ports of call question

yerdua

DH and I are booked on the zuiderdam in November out of San diego. I've never done this itinerary before and don't speak spanish.  I'm trying to set up shore excursions and am wondering if there are any ports that are easily doable (and safe) on your own. Also would appreciate any suggestions for tours in the stops of Puerto vallarta, Huatulco, Puerto quetzal, Corinto, Puerto caldero and cartegena. Also, how does one handle the differences in currencies in the smaller towns where dollars and credit cards are not accepted? Can you get small amounts of the local currency on board? TIA.

28 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Huatulco,

This port is the only Mexican port that is a stand out in my experience.  It's natural beauty with its many bays that can be seen by a catamaran tour through those areas are, in my opinion, the best way to visit this port.  

30 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Puerto vallarta

Cliff divers here, if I recall correctly.  Worth a one time experience to see this.  I have walked around this community, staying near the ocean front, and have felt safe.  Several nice dining establishments, as I recall.  

33 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Puerto quetzal,

I enjoyed my tour to Antigua from this port.  I am glad that I did it because I saw the countryside as well as the colonial Capital of Guatemala.  The looming volcano that we kept seeing reminded me of the fact that this country is part of the "Ring of Fire" along the Pacific Ocean.  

38 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Also, how does one handle the differences in currencies in the smaller towns where dollars and credit cards 

Dollars will most likely be accepted.  Credit cards for individuals vendors?  I would not depend on that.  No need to get Pesos.  

40 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Puerto caldero and cartegena.

Neither are ports that I would disembark the ship again for a visit.  Once, twice?  OK.  A visit to a cathedral in Cartegena was the most memorable.  Built on a mountain, but, with access by people that could reach near the top wall of a plaza around the Church provided a vivid and sad memory.  People were reaching with poles, whatever, above the top of the wall (and I think fencing on the top of the wall) wanting we tourists to give them some money.  Seeing soldiers with long guns in the downtown areas where my tour bus stopped reminded me of what I saw in Caracas in 1986.  No desire for a repeat of such sights!  

I believe the cliff divers are Mazatlan. 
(Frankly, I wasn’t impressed, and didn’t miss them when we were there early 2 weeks ago.)

I really enjoyed the San Sebastián shorex in PV. Also, day trip via fast zodiac to Yelapa and Pisola.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

21 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

(Frankly, I wasn’t impressed, and didn’t miss them when we were there early 2 weeks ago.)

I really enjoyed the San Sebastián shorex in PV. Also, day trip via fast zodiac to Yelapa and Pisola.)

That was my thought (cliff divers)  to so I’m glad you mentioned it.  Yeah it was ok, nothing too exciting.

I took coffee plantation tours both in Guatemala and Costa Rica.  Both were GREAT.  Took the tequila tour in PV.  All of these included delicious lunches. Catamaran boat tour in Hualtaco was very nice.  Just did these tours in February. 

Speaking Spanish is not necessary.  I speak a little, but guides speak English 

Edited by cruzn single

I did an excursion to the national aviary in Colombia, from Cartegena. Their website didn't look great but I had already done a tour in the town and figured I'd give it a try. It turned out to be excellent. Birds were not in little cages. You could walk through some of the aviaries. Our tour bus were the only visitors there. I wouldn't go on my own, it's too far out of town to depend on a taxi. But if your ship offers it, it's something different to do.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I enjoyed my tour to Antigua from this port.  I am glad that I did it because I saw the countryside as well as the colonial Capital of Guatemala.  The looming volcano that we kept seeing reminded me of the fact that this country is part of the "Ring of Fire" along the Pacific Ocean.  

For us, this was the best tour of our Panama Canal cruise. Lunch at Casa Santo Domingo with it’s museums and cultural centre was the icing on the cake. The volcano was still quite grumpy when we were there in 2019.

8D5DA804-52D0-431C-B917-23ACFFB62EFE.thumb.jpeg.8b1136f57ac872dcf6f625a2773e5c93.jpeg

I am in that cruise too.  I have been through the canal twice.

Hualtuco The 5 Bays Catamaran tour was gorgeous.  When I did it,  I also did it with a land tour that was it that impressive to me.  If we’re to do it again I would just do the 5 Bays Catamaran tour and then walk around the market place.

In Guatemala The last two times I have taken the shuttle to a Market place. This time I will probably take the Antiqua tour.

Costa Rica I Did the combination mangrove cruise and tropical train Ride.  The Mongrove cruise was ok but the tropical train ride took you through views of everyone’s back yard.  The last time I took a tour to the City of San Jose.  The theatre was great as well as a palace.  

Corinto Colonial Leon is nice.

Cartagena I did a tour of Fort San Felipe.  

Puerta Valletta. I have been there several times.  The cathedral downtown is nice.  

As far as money,  you could pay in dollars but you would get change in foreign currency.  Save your Small bills.

You should come over to the roll call.  There are only 3 of us now. But I bet you could get more ideas over there.

On Zuiderdam for same cruise inFebruary, FL to CA.

Cartagena: A great morning touring the walled city. Got a cab to drive 4 of us there, then decided to let him be our guide for a three hour tour for a total of $60. One person on the ship's excursion was $60 dollars and all they did was drop you off and then you had to walk . It was really hot, 95 so we were glad to be in an air conditioned taxi. 

Costa Rica: Aerial tram to the top of the rain forest, butterfly garden and sloth sanctuary, ship excursion. Too much time spent on the bus getting to the sites. 

Antigua, Guatemala, a UNSECO world heritage city: On our way we could see a volcano erupting. The guide said that you can see the puffs of smoke about every five minutes. It has only caused damaged to the nearby villages with an eruption twice, once in the 1700s and in 2018. We could see 5 volcanoes at one time, very cool and different. The town was historic and beautiful. Rum factory tour was really a tasting. We went to a jade museum that was very informative. Lunch was ok. Once again, to much time spent on the bus during the ship's tour.

Huatulco: A great time snorkeling in one of Huatulco bays. Walked off the ship, 5 minute boat ride to the bay. The entire bay was roped off with buoys to prevent boat traffic. Got in the water with a guide and it was like swimming in an aquarium, small colorful fish and the turtles but also some large barracudas, the usual parrot and needle fish and a school of 1000s of "bait" fish (according to the guide). Water in the bay was warmer the the water in the pool on the ship. 

Puerto Vallarta: Best ship's tour, the naturalist on the boat knew so much about the Marietas Islands which is a Biosphere Reserve recognized by UNESCO . As we were sailing to the islands the Brown Boobys were following the boat and it was amazing to watch them swoop down and come up with small fish in their mouth. When we arrived at the island, they said the water was only 70 degrees, luckily, they had wetsuits. Many got in for the first half hour but must got out after 30 minutes. Me and 8 other hardy souls decided to stay with the guide for an additional 30 minutes and I'm glad I did. We were able to swim below the cliffs where the blue footed boobys and the laughing gulls were nesting. He took us into a cave with a beach at the back. He named every fish we saw. It was so cold; I was glad to be out of the water after an hour. We had lunch on the boat, toured the island to see many more birds and then off to look for whales. We saw many humpback whales on the way back to the ship. 

17 hours ago, liketraveling said:

The cathedral downtown is nice.  

It is beautiful!

17 hours ago, liketraveling said:

Hualtuco The 5 Bays Catamaran tour was gorgeous.

100% agree.  

23 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

If so, I stand corrected from my previous post.  I don't remember visiting this port, but, I do remember the cliff divers  

• 2 months later...
On 4/23/2022 at 5:37 PM, 0106 said:

Antigua, Guatemala, a UNSECO world heritage city: On our way we could see a volcano erupting. The guide said that you can see the puffs of smoke about every five minutes. It has only caused damaged to the nearby villages with an eruption twice, once in the 1700s and in 2018. We could see 5 volcanoes at one time, very cool and different. The town was historic and beautiful. Rum factory tour was really a tasting. We went to a jade museum that was very informative. Lunch was ok. Once again, to much time spent on the bus during the ship's tour.

I would love to visit Antigua, but the elevation (over 5000 ft) would likely cause problems with my wife’s breathing.

Has anyone done any tours out of Puerto Queztal that do not include Antigua?  Thanks 

We did the tropical train ride and exotic mangrove cruise excursion in Costa Rica. That was a fun and memorable day.  From the train, you could see monkeys swinging in the trees, and from the boat there were plenty of crocodiles to see.  DH and I both liked that one.

Many times Cartagena is a short port stop, so if you need an experience that isn't too far or too long, you might like the " Coffee Baptism".  We enjoyed it a few years ago. Have to take a cab to the old downtown and walk to it:

• Across from the Cathedral entrance, Santos de piedra 3- 86, Cartagena, Colombia.

https://www.cafesanalberto.com/en/san-alberto-experiences/cartagena-experiences/

Cartagena was one of our favorite stops, and we would love to return there. The old city is beautiful but it is true that people are constantly asking for money or for you to buy something.  If you don't wish to go into town, there is a lovely shaded area at the port where we saw a local dance / music group perform.  There is an emerald mining exhibit, exotic birds and animals, nice gardens,  a shop with jewelry, handicrafts, a coffee shop.  All inside the secured port area.

• Like 1

If you have not been to Cartagena look up Marelvy Peña Hall. https://tourincartagena.com/

She does excellent tours. 

The catamaran tour in Hualtulco is wonderful, but just wandering around the town is enjoyable.

Our visit to Antigua was a highlight. My husband doesn’t even care for excursions and he liked this one. He has heart issues but did not find the altitude a problem. 

A lot of people don’t seem to care for Corinto. My daughter and I were there on a Sunday and enjoyed the craft booths. A couple people went to church at the cathedral. The town happened to have a small parade that day with a band.

In Costa Rica we did an aerial jungle tram tour, can’t remember it’s name, but it was a ship excursion. 

I bought coffee beans everywhere I went, amazing I wasn’t over the weight limit on my luggage!

St Louis Sal

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 10:02 AM, 2inSETexas said:

Has anyone done any tours out of Puerto Queztal that do not include Antigua?  Thanks 

Three years ago, when we were planning for our second port call to Puerto Quetzal, and having already visited Antigua, I looked into what we might do instead.  Among other things, I asked that question over in the Guatemala Port of Call forum, at the link below. I did receive a couple of suggestions, so you might want to take a look.   What tours is HAL offering?  (I'm sorry about the altitude issue for your wife that would make Antigua a problem.)