Anyone used ArriveCAN using a computer, not a smartphone?

12cruise2

I'm wondering if anyone who has registered for a trip within the 72-hour time frame ONLINE on a computer, NOT on a smartphone, would be willing to share the steps they went through--I'm assuming we can attach a PDF document of our covid vaccination card and a PDF document of our passport, that idea.  I just would like to be sure that whatever steps are necessary are clear before the 72-hour window--if there's a problem that close to trip departure, I'd be so nervous and there is little time to fix a problem.  I want to be sure to have in PDF format whatever I need to attach since we don't use a scanner or smartphone and will be able to attach whatever docs we need, plus any tips re extra info we'll need.  We're starting a cruise in Seattle that will make one stop in Victoria on the 7th day, then back down to Seattle for one night, then back up to Vancouver for the day on back-to-back cruises.  Oh, my, now I wonder if we'll have to make two separate entries, one for each cruise?  Anyway, just the mechanics of what you learned using a computer online to enter the data would be very much appreciated.  Please, no info re smartphone usage for this process would be appreciated.  Thank you.

We did this on our laptop, but used our phone to take a picture of the CDC card.  You could download a picture of your card into your laptop from a camera.   We had to send ourselves an email of the picture and downloaded it into the laptop.  You enter your personal info, passport info, vaccination history(dates, type) into the start of the app.  Downloading the CDC card was the hardest part, but they provide a link.  You have to claim if you are entering by land, sea or air.  You also need the name and address of where you will isolate if needed.  At the end, you should get a QR code that you can print  and show at the border.  I think you should have your original CDC card and passport as well.  It is a challenge!  You can enter the basic info, but the last steps have to be within 72 hours of your arrival into Canada.  You can try a dummy trip and just logout at the end.  I found out at the end you can enter all of your party on one application, we ended up with separate accounts.

Edited by Galley Slave

Doing it on your laptop is the same as doing it on your phone.   I have done it both ways.    The steps are the same - first you create your account - then you can fill out the questions for each trip within the 72 hour window.

You will have to make two entries - you can't have more than one trip at a time.   Then you can print out your letter.    But if you do it right - its linked to your passport and Canadian Immigration doesn't want to see it.

For our isolation location we used the cruise ship - but use the physical address for Canada Place or whatever.....Canada Place. 999 Canada Place; 100 The Pointe; Vancouver, BC V6C 3T4.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Doing it on your laptop is the same as doing it on your phone.   I have done it both ways.    The steps are the same - first you create your account - then you can fill out the questions for each trip within the 72 hour window.

You will have to make two entries - you can't have more than one trip at a time.   Then you can print out your letter.    But if you do it right - its linked to your passport and Canadian Immigration doesn't want to see it.

For our isolation location we used the cruise ship - but use the physical address for Canada Place or whatever.....Canada Place. 999 Canada Place; 100 The Pointe; Vancouver, BC V6C 3T4.

What time did you use--your boarding time or your cruise departure time?  I think you mean an entry for each of the two B2B cruises, then?  Thank you so much for your help.

I have yet to use the app, but have been following many of the threads. There is a recent update that now includes a question for cruise ship travel. Also, as I understand it, there will no longer be a need to provide an address for possible quarantine.

We used ArriveCan several times on a computer, most recently just last week at the end of a river cruise.

The process was quite painless, and you can upload doc's in several formats. Not once has Canada Border Services asked to see our receipt or anything, but the airlines will. Just follow the directions.

21 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

I'm wondering if anyone who has registered for a trip within the 72-hour time frame ONLINE on a computer, NOT on a smartphone, would be willing to share the steps they went through--I'm assuming we can attach a PDF document of our covid vaccination card and a PDF document of our passport, that idea.  I just would like to be sure that whatever steps are necessary are clear before the 72-hour window--if there's a problem that close to trip departure, I'd be so nervous and there is little time to fix a problem.  I want to be sure to have in PDF format whatever I need to attach since we don't use a scanner or smartphone and will be able to attach whatever docs we need, plus any tips re extra info we'll need.  We're starting a cruise in Seattle that will make one stop in Victoria on the 7th day, then back down to Seattle for one night, then back up to Vancouver for the day on back-to-back cruises.  Oh, my, now I wonder if we'll have to make two separate entries, one for each cruise?  Anyway, just the mechanics of what you learned using a computer online to enter the data would be very much appreciated.  Please, no info re smartphone usage for this process would be appreciated.  Thank you.

The online version is very straight forward. To allay your concerns, I'd suggest that you make a practise entry now, using all of your actual information with the exception of the sailing date. Just don't submit the information at the end.

14 hours ago, groundloop said:

Hopefully someone who's entered information via the ArriveCAN website will share their experience, I'm planning to do this as well (so as not to clutter up my phone with yet another app that'll be rarely used).

The main advantage with using the app is that you don't need to have wifi access as you do with the online version. Like other infrequently used apps, it's simple to delete when you are finished using it. With my iPhone, I can go one better by offloading the app but retaining the data.

Effective April 25, quarantine info is not required.

Related parties can share an account.  

After entering your passport & vaccine info, remember to save the info.  If you don't save the info, you will have to re-enter it when you are ready to get your trip receipt/QR code.

If you have other questions, the Canadian Cruisers discussion thread is a great source of info.

21 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

I'm wondering if anyone who has registered for a trip within the 72-hour time frame ONLINE on a computer, NOT on a smartphone, would be willing to share the steps they went through--I'm assuming we can attach a PDF document of our covid vaccination card and a PDF document of our passport, that idea. .. 

Just completed a online application in 5 minutes. Easy Peasy. Much improved from last year.

The important thing is to complete your saved profile first. This had your passport and vax info. This stage can be completed right now before the 72 hour countdown. 

Once you are satisfied with the profile, then start your land-sea-marine application. The app will only allow you to do this stage within 72 hours of embarkation.  ArriveCan will generate a receipt with your vax status. Ideally, your rating will be "A - QR authenicated".

Should there be a mistake. You can edit/delete the profile. The application can also "Start Over" before embarkation.

Enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the details.  Good to know we can download and save the vax and passport info ahead of time, save and stop until the 72-hour in advance countdown.  That way we know that it's downloaded and in the system.

What time have you been using for your 72-hour countdown--boarding time or cruise departure time?

20 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Then you can print out your letter.   

We're entering Canada after a short RV trip, not onboard a ship or by air.  So we'll be doing the ArriveCan thing not from home.  Is there another option besides printing a letter?

5 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

We're entering Canada after a short RV trip, not onboard a ship or by air.  So we'll be doing the ArriveCan thing not from home.  Is there another option besides printing a letter?

You get an email with the QR code  - you can save the email or take a screen shot of the QR code.  Only the airlines would ask to see the letter or QR code - Canadian Immigration won't ask to see the letter since  it is linked to your passport and they have insight into that system.    You also get a reference code that looks like this....The actual code is 6 characters...

image.png.36241e72f14723e2bf850c6f5a5d1663.png

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

4 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

You get an email with the QR code  - you can save the email or take a screen shot of the QR code.  Only the airlines would ask to see the letter or QR code - Canadian Immigration won't ask to see the letter since  it is linked to your passport and they have insight into that system.    You also get a reference code that looks like this....The actual code is 6 characters...

image.png.36241e72f14723e2bf850c6f5a5d1663.png

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

@HappyInVan, do you know what the different letters, I, V, A stand for on the QR code receipt? 

Thanks!

A - QR of vax document authenticated. Usually Canadian vax document.

V, I - Vax or prior infection claimed. Documents may be checked. Usually documents without a QR code, or code not recognized.

"Meaning of the letters on your receipt
You may see one or more letters beside your name on your receipt. This means that you may have to discuss one of the following with a Government official at the border:

(Q) your quarantine plan
(S) your symptom self-assessment
(A), (V) or (I) your vaccination status
(D) dependent adult
(M) medical contraindication
To qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption, you must have an (A), (V) or (I) next to your name. Ensure you have evidence of your proof of vaccination when you travel. It must include the type of vaccine(s) and the date(s) of your vaccinations. Be prepared to show it on arrival.

If there's no (A), (V) or (I) next to your name:

you aren't fully vaccinated according to Canada's requirements or
you didn't upload proof of vaccination
If there's a (D) next to your name:

you've indicated that you're unvaccinated and a dependent adult
If there's a (M) next to your name:

you've indicated that you're unvaccinated and have a valid medical contraindication to a COVID-19 vaccine."

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan/help.html

BTW, Regent Seven Seas has this helpful step by step guide...

https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/files/2022-04/ArriveCan.pdf

• Thanks 1

Yes, thank you so very much for the Regent brochure info that takes us step by step through the process.  And thank you to everyone. You are all so helpful, and this can really help everyone else as we all head into Alaska this summer.

• Like 1