Booking direct Vs. through an agent?

PBtroy

We are new to Viking, with a couple of recent trips on Ocean and Exploration ships.  After booking the repositioning cruise on Octantis from Buenos Aires to Barbados (which we thoroughly enjoyed) we were cold contacted by a TA who promised a better deal, but of course couldn't make it good because we had already committed to Viking.  I concluded that he was pretty much a flake anyway.   We had an agent we liked that got us some amazing discounted cruise opportunities several times on Oceania, and wonder what the experienced Viking community has to say about booking direct as opposed to using a TA.

19 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

We are new to Viking, with a couple of recent trips on Ocean and Exploration ships.  After booking the repositioning cruise on Octantis from Buenos Aires to Barbados (which we thoroughly enjoyed) we were cold contacted by a TA who promised a better deal, but of course couldn't make it good because we had already committed to Viking.  I concluded that he was pretty much a flake anyway.   We had an agent we liked that got us some amazing discounted cruise opportunities several times on Oceania, and wonder what the experienced Viking community has to say about booking direct as opposed to using a TA.

Welcome to Viking.

TA's are supposed to follow Viking policy document which states they should not sell below the Viking posted fares on the website. Therefore, the TA that contacted you should not be under selling the website prices.

With respect to using a TA or Viking direct, I always use a TA, transferring the booking even if we make them on board. When you experience issues, a TA is invaluable.

The TA's are also limited by the Viking policy on the amount of OBC they can provide, which is based on the length of the cruise.

I always use a TA. The onboard credit is worth it to me and I get great service. The onboard credit can be substantial. On our last cruise we booked it as back to back, 18 days Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles, then 9 days Los Angeles to Vancouver. We got $500 apiece shipboard credit for the first leg, and $300 apiece for the second, so $1,600 total. To me that's a lot of money, and it's refundable! We got a check today for the amount that we didn't use because we had voucher money, using it for prepaid gratuities, silver spirits, excursions, and still money back. Here is what Viking allows TAs to give you:

• Agents will only be allowed to offer non-cash marketing incentives if the incentives are able to be redeemed and used onboard or if the retail value of the incentive does not exceed $100. For the onboard gifts, the incentive can’t exceed: $150 per guest for seven-night sailings, $300 per guest for eight to 14-night sailings on a Viking vessel and $500 per guest for 15-night plus sailings $500 per guest.
  • Like 2

I'm not a fan of TAs.  We booked once through a TA because our friends did. The TA said she could get us on-board credits, but they never materialized.  With the TA we got information from Viking late, in once case because the TA was on vacation herself.

I'm very interested in why TAs are useful. I'll be watcing this board. Always willing to change my view.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, austinetc said:

I'm not a fan of TAs.  We booked once through a TA because our friends did. The TA said she could get us on-board credits, but they never materialized.  With the TA we got information from Viking late, in once case because the TA was on vacation herself.

I'm very interested in why TAs are useful. I'll be watcing this board. Always willing to change my view.

I use a very large online travel agency that has agents available 7 days a week. If mine is not there, someone else is. I've booked well over 25 cruises with them. They guarantee the best rate on any cruise. In the olden days, before Viking changed their rules, I got 15% off of the price of the cruise. Now that Viking changed their rules I get the maximum shipboard credit. It is shown on the invoice that I receive from them when I book the cruise. She has gone to bat for me multiple times, getting shipboard credit when itinerary changed prior to cruise, and other things as well. 

• Like 2

My experience is similar to Stretch’s.  I only use a Travel Agent as a booking agent so making sure I get the maximum cash value is what’s important to me. I have one agent I use for Viking Cruises and another for Norwegian because if the different onboard/shipboard credit each offers. 

Welcome to Viking!   if you haven’t already discovered this thread, it’s worth a read: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2416372-tips-for-new-viking-ocean-cruisers/page/62/#comment-62141739

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 11:24 PM, stretchcruz said:

I always use a TA. The onboard credit is worth it to me and I get great service. The onboard credit can be substantial. On our last cruise we booked it as back to back, 18 days Ft Lauderdale to Los Angeles, then 9 days Los Angeles to Vancouver. We got $500 apiece shipboard credit for the first leg, and $300 apiece for the second, so $1,600 total. To me that's a lot of money, and it's refundable! We got a check today for the amount that we didn't use because we had voucher money, using it for prepaid gratuities, silver spirits, excursions, and still money back. Here is what Viking allows TAs to give you:

• Agents will only be allowed to offer non-cash marketing incentives if the incentives are able to be redeemed and used onboard or if the retail value of the incentive does not exceed $100. For the onboard gifts, the incentive can’t exceed: $150 per guest for seven-night sailings, $300 per guest for eight to 14-night sailings on a Viking vessel and $500 per guest for 15-night plus sailings $500 per guest.

My online TA has a Mem. Day sale.  They have reduced the OBC for each nights' tier by $100 (per cabin).  However, they are offering everyone, on river and ocean (only), regardless of # of nights, an extra $150 OBC from V.  The TA is also giving an extra $100, for new bookings during the sale. A nice promo.

People are talking about TA perks in terms of $$, which is nice. But the real reason we always use a TA is in case something goes wrong. Always remember the Representative for any cruise line will take care of their employer first in the case of a dispute, while a TA is paid to represent your interests’ at no additional cost to you. Also, as a cruise expert, a good TA can give advice and insights you can’t have otherwise (think “tips and tricks”), and help you avoid pitfalls. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TKS said:

People are talking about TA perks in terms of $$, which is nice. But the real reason we always use a TA is in case something goes wrong. Always remember the Representative for any cruise line will take care of their employer first in the case of a dispute, while a TA is paid to represent your interests’ at no additional cost to you. Also, as a cruise expert, a good TA can give advice and insights you can’t have otherwise (think “tips and tricks”), and help you avoid pitfalls. 

I have been using the same Viking agent for almost 5 years. He has always fought for me and resolved favorably getting additional discounts, advice on dealing with Customer Relations, rebooking to get promotions without changing changing cabins, etc. There is no difference in “taking sides” as, using your logic, the TA also needs to work for Viking to earn his/her commissions. I have referred a few people who gave up their TAs to use my Viking agent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Five years as a Viking agent seems to be above the norm, from what people have expressed here. This person must have exceptional qualities to persevere in a difficult business.

He had been recommended by someone we met on a river cruise in 2017. The agent we used to book that cruise left Viking before that cruise embarked, and these folks gave us his extension. BTW, he’s been with Viking at least 8 years.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread but wanted to respond with a thanks you to the forum.

I've never been one to use travel agents on cruises or otherwise.  Just always thought I could do it myself and cut out the middleman.  Well, I just booked a cruise for next year utilizing a travel agent and saved $1,100 as compared to booking direct - $200 direct cash reduction, and $900 in credits.  

So, thanks to the forum.

1 hour ago, mwike said:

I know this is an old thread but wanted to respond with a thanks you to the forum.

I've never been one to use travel agents on cruises or otherwise.  Just always thought I could do it myself and cut out the middleman.  Well, I just booked a cruise for next year utilizing a travel agent and saved $1,100 as compared to booking direct - $200 direct cash reduction, and $900 in credits.  

So, thanks to the forum.

If that is for two and for a 15 night or longer cruise, then sounds like your TA is providing the max Viking allows.  If that is per person or is for a shorter cruise then they aren’t following Viking’s rules…not sure what happens if Viking finds out but good for you!

49 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

If that is for two and for a 15 night or longer cruise, then sounds like your TA is providing the max Viking allows.  If that is per person or is for a shorter cruise then they aren’t following Viking’s rules…not sure what happens if Viking finds out but good for you!

Yeah, I read about the max credits somewhere else on the forum.  They're playing by the rules. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Clay, we use the same agent. Do you know if Viking has changed their rules? On the that shall not be named page via the ta they said something about x off. I haven’t looked into it since we had to cancel our cruise because of husband's terminal cancer. Back and forth to cancer center. I did a Google and couldn't find updated info.

10 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Clay, we use the same agent. Do you know if Viking has changed their rules? On the that shall not be named page via the ta they said something about x off. I haven’t looked into it since we had to cancel our cruise because of husband's terminal cancer. Back and forth to cancer center. I did a Google and couldn't find updated info.

Yeah I got an email from the agency saying that and I emailed and asked if that was in lieu of or instead of the onboard credit.  I was told it was in addition for new bookings.  I saw on the Viking website that they were offering some discounted fares so I thought

it might have just been sneaky marketing on their part.  

Haven’t had opportunity to look into whether it is still around. But happy to find out by booking another cruise if you’re paying!😂

• Like 1

Getting discounts from a TA is good.  Have a good TA who looks out for your and who takes care of problems is a better reason to have a good TA.  One of the people on this post said that they do not get that sort of service from their TA.  Then change your TA.

I have told this story on CC several times but here it goes again.  We were booked to fly from Las Vegas to Athens with a flight change in Atlanta.  We had 2 hours to make the change but we had a very long ground hold in Vegas and could not take off.  It looked as if we might miss our flight in Atlanta.  We called our TA from the plane while we were waiting and asked her to have a backup way of getting to Athens just in case.  She was monitoring our progress and she called us in Atlanta as soon as we landed to check in and to tell us that she did a have backup flight identified and had a short hold on the alternative flight and would book it if we didn't make our flight.  As it happened we did make out flight with a short time to spare but that is the reason why you should have a good TA.  As an aside I can't tell you how many times a cruise company tried to sc**w us out of something that we should have gotten and managed to get it for us.

DON

On 5/26/2022 at 8:25 AM, Squawkman said:

I have been using the same Viking agent for almost 5 years. He has always fought for me and resolved favorably getting additional discounts, advice on dealing with Customer Relations, rebooking to get promotions without changing changing cabins, etc. There is no difference in “taking sides” as, using your logic, the TA also needs to work for Viking to earn his/her commissions. I have referred a few people who gave up their TAs to use my Viking agent. 

Ditto.  I have a Viking agent who I have dealt with exclusively and other than being able to tell me about unadvertised specials by changing sailings, he is far more knowledgeable about Viking’s rules than even the onboard cruise consultant (which I found out when I was trying to plan a trip on board for 2025).  When Viking canceled a cruise we had booked while onboard, he was able to get us back the perks we had received while onboard.  He had to go up a couple levels, but he did it.

I have also given his name and extension and know he has booked at least 4 cruises for friends of mine.

Also…..and this is what I found out while on the WC.  A friend I met onboard was grousing that she did not have all the info she wanted on her final e documents.  The one for the WC was very long and I told her it was there (it was the info that Viking provides about all the excursions offered).  She brought up her e document, I brought up mine and compared and her document had about 1/3 the info mine did.  Her TA had truncated the last chunk of info that Viking provided, assuming that the customer didn’t need it.   

Since Viking is only providing into in 2 week segments on the WC, there is a lot of changing around of excursions, and the faster you change, the more likely you’ll get it if you need to be waitlisted.  I have done this several times already.  

• Like 1

I think that we have found a solution that works perfectly, at least for us, here in the UK. 

When looking at cruises we initially talk to the Viking agents to check what deals maybe available, to work out the details and select a particular cabin. All the Viking agents I have spoken to are perfectly happy to then contact our TA to pass on the arrangements we have agreed, including any promotions. Our TA then comes back to us with their "improved" deal. If we decide to go ahead our TA takes payment and confirms the booking.

If it is possible to operate in the same way in the USA, particularly if you work with a Viking agent that you've built up a good relationship with (as mentioned in previous posts) this would seem to be the ideal solution. It gives access to both the expertise and experience of the Viking agents and the cost saving (as well as other benefits previously mentioned) of using a good TA - Best of both worlds!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, phil1107 said:

I live in Canada. I have approached 2 TAs - neither could offer any OBCs or discounts

How can I find one that can?

There is no easy way to find a good TA. When researching TA's, I employed a similar process to when I hired/fired employees - interviewing.

First determine your requirements from a TA, which I agree with Don, should be more than just receiving OBC. With your statement of requirements, go interview multiple TA's. Similar to hiring employees, the amount of effort expended is proportional to the potential for success.

• Like 1

We have used a TA for the majority of our cruises, but never with a cruise line that offered airfare. So if we book the Northern Lights cruise with our TA, can we then make use of Viking Air and their transfers?

Thank you in advance.

6 minutes ago, LostFan#1 said:

We have used a TA for the majority of our cruises, but never with a cruise line that offered airfare. So if we book the Northern Lights cruise with our TA, can we then make use of Viking Air and their transfers?

Thank you in advance.

Affirmative, your TA can book flights and transfers with Viking, if you instruct them accordingly.