Semi-Live Norwegian Joy to Bermuda - Norfolk, VA - May 8, 2022

mking8288

One of the best NCL productions tonight, 100 minutes long to a 75 to 80% full audience in the Joy Theater tonight ... even for the late show, sleep afterward. Book it as it is a must see on this ship, we wholeheartedly endorse & recommend seeing it. Scenes from the end from the entire high energy cast. 

PXL_20220511_024028027.MP.jpg

PXL_20220511_024029968.MP.jpg

PXL_20220511_024034459.MP.jpg

PXL_20220511_024053398.jpg

A late night reflection: Concierge (limited) services onboard for SC suites - IMHO, if you expect it to happen, my suggestion is to be proactive and dial him/her & ask for help or assistance. We've managed thus far to do without or needing the services, and felt that we wish to take advantage of it (if still included or available and entitled to). End of Day 3, haven't heard or seen him or even a voicemail (there are 32 or 33 family suites, all but 1 or 2 not occupied).  No "treats" in our 2 cabins today.  Having seen that "Summary" recently, which I barely able to read, doesn't make it definitive. Being Sapphire (Platinum in the other suite) also helped, I suspected. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from Heritage Wharf, Dockyard. We've arrived - Bermuda, we are back again to visit. It's a cloudy day. Time for breakfast first.

Several important details, info & useful reminders from the FS Dailies to take along to go ashore, especially first time visiting 👌

PXL_20220511_110214451.jpg

PXL_20220511_110152029.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Simple, without needing reservations, we just show up and see whether there is a line or pick the shorter line.  Really doesn't matter whether one has priority seating/waitlist status for MDR - both served the same food, same menu choices - friendly & helpful staff and the Decor aren't different either.  Layout & seating for the tables are somewhat different.  Go with the flow, easy.

On a related note - the Manhattan MDR doesn't (no longer ??) have a dance floor in the middle, unlike the BA or GA (can't remember if the Escape has one) and the entire dining room seemed smaller for some odd reasons to us, with the tables & chairs being very close to each other - tightly spaced, and too noisy even with us as a group of  6 to converse without shouting.  We are going to stick with Savor or Taste.  The "seniors" in the other cabin went to check out the buffet this morning again for breakfast, and the Observation Lounge - they like & loved the latter.  Not impressed with the choices & offerings in the buffet as they often like to eat & be in and out quick.  

Doing Cagney's Steakhouse tomorrow as that seemed to be the top choice & highly rated, we shall see.  

Latitudes Welcome Back cocktail party is happening at 4 pm in the Observations (Gold & higher)  and not expecting a huge turnout for free drinks - there're about 100 people hovering in the cruise terminal roped-off Platinum "waiting area" - not quite a "real" lounge - and we're able to board quickly after the accessible passengers - ahead of Zone/Group 1 thru 4 (was a bit chaotic when they began calling groups after a delay triggered by the US Coast Guard inspection &  drill exercise on Sunday ... for odd reasons, exactly what I was afraid of - to be caught with the delay)

Question? Your in a suite but you don't get the special dining venue for breakfast and lunch? Read on another post this was the case, but you are actually sailing and would know. Is it because they have a Haven dining room so no Moderno's breakfast or Cagney's lunch?

Sailing in a 2 bedroom suite on the Pearl not the Haven next spring so curious will go to two balcony cabins if that is the case. Only book suites for this perk we have priority boarding as platinum.

Thanks

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@Arzeena remember our Jan 2019 Caribbean Escape w the noro outbreak then #cough #cough

I do remember that!
I also remember how they cleaned and sanitized every minute. Every time I stepped out of the cabin, I saw somebody was spraying the walls and scrubbing them. Vaccuming the hallways. Everything smelt like a Clorox wipe had been around. That is when I asked if they were up for CG inspection back in NY and was told there was some noro on deck 13. We were on 9. The buffet tables and the hand washing police at the buffet entrance. They did their best to keep it sanitized. I have never seen so much cleaning (on cruise ships) as I have seen on that sailing. I am thankful we managed to stay healthy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Good morning from Heritage Wharf, Dockyard. We've arrived - Bermuda, we are back again to visit. It's a cloudy day. Time for breakfast first.

Several important details, info & useful reminders from the FS Dailies to take along to go ashore, especially first time visiting 👌

PXL_20220511_110214451.jpg

PXL_20220511_110152029.jpg

What a nice view!

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Question? Your in a suite but you don't get the special dining venue for breakfast and lunch? Read on another post this was the case, but you are actually sailing and would know. Is it because they have a Haven dining room so no Moderno's breakfast or Cagney's lunch?

Sailing in a 2 bedroom suite on the Pearl not the Haven next spring so curious will go to two balcony cabins if that is the case. Only book suites for this perk we have priority boarding as platinum.

Thanks

Henry,

That is what RJ asked as well, about the suite breakfast and luch that used to be at these venues.

Edited by Arzeena

On 5/9/2022 at 10:30 AM, vacation44 said:

Were you charged a room service fee for the hot breakfast?

Yes, it's coming out of our non-refundable OBC so it's a wash (we have quite a bit of them to use up, restricted 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄 )

Morning breakfast in the MDR, pretty empty at 8:30 am as Jerry, CD announced that ship has been cleared & passengers can go ashore.

This is a quick answer regarding options for us to eat lunch or breakfast, no special ("suite") privileges. But, I will leave a comment for the newly onboard GM to pass along to his F&B manager, inform them quite a few of us on CC are aware of the changes and to express our concerns / not happy cruisers - specific to the Joy. 

Local time about 10:20 - going out to catch the free NCL Ferry to St. George, a scenic ride over water. The morning storm had passed & just cloudy, temp in low 70's. 

I will host & answer more questions tonight on the Chromebook.

PXL_20220511_115635940.jpg

PXL_20220511_120419307.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Thanks

The Joy seems to have suite rules specific to that ship, which have apparently evolved over time.

On the Jewel class ships (as of now) all suites whether in the Haven or not have the special breakfast and lunch perk.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 10:29 AM, barb65 said:

Following closely since we will be on same itinerary on the new Prima in May 2023. Anxious to hear about the Norfolk stop. Still puzzled as to why Norfolk?

Barb..same here..we are looking at one of the May sailings in May 23, and not so sure about the Norfolk stop! 

• Haha 1

You stated you have 2 Cabins on this cruise. And that their are differences in the layout.  Would it be possible to see what the differences are?  It seams the Port side cabins are 564 Sf while the starboard SP’s are 512sf.  We have the smaller of the two booked.  Could you take 5 minutes and show us how the layout is different.   Thank you so much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The P said:

I'm so happy for you that you have nice weather for your sightseeing today! Weather comes and goes in the Caribbean and I hope this weather stays!     

Hi, Sharon 

Here's a bonus share for all, Google Map of SG for easy DIY unguided tour, walking shoes a must & water for hydration, it's humid but with a cool sea breeze. Tomorrow is just cloudy. 

Time to usher my private seniors group to walk uphill to see "main street" & go past the old church, etc. before going back to catch the 3 pm ferry to mother ship. Cagney's tonight for 6 of us.

Screenshot_20220511-134337.png

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

This is a quick answer regarding options for us to eat lunch or breakfast, no special ("suite") privileges. But, I will leave a comment for the newly onboard GM to pass along to his F&B manager, inform them quite a few of us on CC are aware of the changes and to express our concerns / not happy cruisers - specific to the Joy. 

Thank you for taking the time to mention it to the newly onboard GM.

I did send an e-mail out regarding the feedback I have been reading here on CC regarding the NCL Joy Suite Perks (or lack thereof) yesterday.   

Love your pictures of Bermuda!   Thanks again for sharing your adventure.