How are Covid cases on NCL ships?

I can't speak for everywhere and I don't have any stats on on board cases, but NYC is seeing a huge surge again right now. If cruise ships aren't there yet, I'm sure they'll be following soon (which is what happened last surge). Hopefully it's short lived. 

• Like 1

We are currently on Dawn doing the TA from NYC to Southampton. I personally know of positive on-board cases which were moved to isolation before Belfast. On the night before arrival in IJmuiden, it was unexpectedly announced that all passengers needed a rapid test even though the Netherlands currently has no pre-arrival test requirement for fully vaccinated travellers. Only those who tested negative were allowed to disembark. The next stop was Zeebrugge  and an early am announcement from the captain was that passengers would not be let off due to the “medical situation” so we are slowly cruising the English Channel. Unconfirmed rumors on-board are that ~ 150 passengers tested positive. There are only ~ 960 passengers on-board. 

This may be an extreme case. A North Atlantic TA starting in late April means lots of sea days and cooler weather so people primarily gathered inside. But it does demonstrate how Omicron can spread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ByThePond said:

We are currently on Dawn doing the TA from NYC to Southampton. I personally know of positive on-board cases which were moved to isolation before Belfast. On the night before arrival in IJmuiden, it was unexpectedly announced that all passengers needed a rapid test even though the Netherlands currently has no pre-arrival test requirement for fully vaccinated travellers. Only those who tested negative were allowed to disembark. The next stop was Zeebrugge  and an early am announcement from the captain was that passengers would not be let off due to the “medical situation” so we are slowly cruising the English Channel. Unconfirmed rumors on-board are that ~ 150 passengers tested positive. There are only ~ 960 passengers on-board. 

This may be an extreme case. A North Atlantic TA starting in late April means lots of sea days and cooler weather so people primarily gathered inside. But it does demonstrate how Omicron can spread. 

Same is happening on a lot of TA crossings,  the dropping of protocols and any mid cruise testing is letting it spread on the ships a little too much.

Princess has reintroduced protocols on the following cruises.

The cruise lines seem to be pretending its all over but getting caught out when they have to test  eg. all the US pax flying home end of cruise or a mandatory test required  by a port.

Reports are 100s are getting sent to Heathrow quarantine hotels from ships in Southampton

• Like 1

We were on the Bliss April 30th, after we came home we did test positive for Covid. A pretty good chunk of our group that's on social media also reported either getting Covid, or Norovirus....:(.

• Like 1

We sailed on Pearl to Bermuda on 04/15/2022.  
My husband started feeling sick on the last night of the cruise (chills, a slight fever and cough) he called the medical center on board to report symptoms and they tested all of us. He was positive and me and our 8 yr old grandson were negative. 
The day after we got home I woke up with cold symptoms, took a test and was positive. Our grandson never caught it. 

We’re all vaccinated and me and hubby had a booster in October. 

Even though every crew member we encountered on Pearl was wearing a mask and they were doing the “washy washy” song and squirt of hand sanitizer when entering the buffet, the ship did not feel as “pandemic clean” and “Covid protocol safe” as our November cruise on MSC Divina. 

For example day 1 people respected the elevator protocols listed on a sign outside every elevator (distance and wait for the next elevator so you don’t crowd it) By day 2 at night that wasn’t happening. Elevators were full many times. People just shoving in when the doors opened and of course not wearing masks because they weren’t required for pax. 

We also had a LOT of children on board because it was April vacation.
The buffet was busy and self serve. 

They closed the self serve ice cream machine by day 3 or 4…I was glad they did. 

The hot tubs were PACKED. At one point I wouldn’t let our grandson in because there were 11 kids inside. The lifeguard was trying to control it but he also had a pool full of people to watch, including  children who were dropped off at the pool while their parents did God knows what 😡

I never left the pool side while watching my grandson but the lifeguard repeatedly went up to little kids and asked them to point to their “adult” when they couldn’t he made them get out of the pool. He was yelled at more than once by ignorant mothers and fathers who returned to question why he was telling their child they had to get out of the pool. So ignorant. 

I don’t know what MSC is doing now but we definitely won’t be booking another NCL cruise for a while based solely on our experience on Pearl. The cruise was enjoyable but we obviously didn’t enjoy the feeling that they have let their guard down, at least on our sailing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just my opinion - I am currently on the Dawn transatlantic. Halifax was great, We arrived 6 hours late in Iceland, but it was amazing - sun/snow/sleet and hail! Belfast we did a morning and afternoon tour - beautiful scenery! Unfortunately down hill after that! Arrived at DunLaoirhe/ Dublin - weather prevented us from tendering. Onto Amsterdam after a couple sea days. Ship wide covid testing Tuesday resulting in many unclear results/misinformation. Some say 100 positive - others 180 plus staff. We have been quarantining since. No information from cruise staff other than room service menus. We are waiting patiently for news about retesting. Belgium denied us this morning, heading to France? Not sure they will let us in. Plenty of announcements about sales in gift store, white party and ship activities- nothing for the quarantined cabins. I am still happy I came on this trip- we knew covid was around and took a chance. Have a great day everyone and be kind to each other!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

We sailed on Pearl to Bermuda on 04/15/2022.  
My husband started feeling sick on the last night of the cruise (chills, a slight fever and cough) he called the medical center on board to report symptoms and they tested all of us. He was positive and me and our 8 yr old grandson were negative. 
The day after we got home I woke up with cold symptoms, took a test and was positive. Our grandson never caught it. 

We’re all vaccinated and me and hubby had a booster in October. 

Even though every crew member we encountered on Pearl was wearing a mask and they were doing the “washy washy” song and squirt of hand sanitizer when entering the buffet, the ship did not feel as “pandemic clean” and “Covid protocol safe” as our November cruise on MSC Divina. 

For example day 1 people respected the elevator protocols listed on a sign outside every elevator (distance and wait for the next elevator so you don’t crowd it) By day 2 at night that wasn’t happening. Elevators were full many times. People just shoving in when the doors opened and of course not wearing masks because they weren’t required for pax. 

We also had a LOT of children on board because it was April vacation.
The buffet was busy and self serve. 

They closed the self serve ice cream machine by day 3 or 4…I was glad they did. 

The hot tubs were PACKED. At one point I wouldn’t let our grandson in because there were 11 kids inside. The lifeguard was trying to control it but he also had a pool full of people to watch, including  children who were dropped off at the pool while their parents did God knows what 😡

I never left the pool side while watching my grandson but the lifeguard repeatedly went up to little kids and asked them to point to their “adult” when they couldn’t he made them get out of the pool. He was yelled at more than once by ignorant mothers and fathers who returned to question why he was telling their child they had to get out of the pool. So ignorant. 

I don’t know what MSC is doing now but we definitely won’t be booking another NCL cruise for a while based solely on our experience on Pearl. The cruise was enjoyable but we obviously didn’t enjoy the feeling that they have let their guard down, at least on our sailing. 

This makes me really sad. I am an active cancer patient, and scheduled to sail on the Pearl on June 17th. My oncologist doesn't want me to go, but she said we would wait a few more weeks to see what Covid does before she gives her final recommendation. I am double vaxxed and double boosted, but I know my immune system is crap so I am going to have to defer to what my doctor says. I desperately need a cruise; I have been house-bound since the beginning of the pandemic!

Does anyone know if there is any place to get this information other than boards like this? I need to keep my eye on Pearl covid cases, but not quite sure how to do that!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

This makes me really sad. I am an active cancer patient, and scheduled to sail on the Pearl on June 17th. My oncologist doesn't want me to go, but she said we would wait a few more weeks to see what Covid does before she gives her final recommendation. I am double vaxxed and double boosted, but I know my immune system is crap so I am going to have to defer to what my doctor says. I desperately need a cruise; I have been house-bound since the beginning of the pandemic!

Does anyone know if there is any place to get this information other than boards like this? I need to keep my eye on Pearl covid cases, but not quite sure how to do that!

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your current medical condition and do wish upon you healing energy. 

Second, If you look at current hospital stats, of those admitted to University of Michigan for Covid, 86% have a comorbidity and nearly half are double vaxed and boosted. There are currently more patients admitted who are vaccinated than who are not. This trend holds true across the nation. Unfortunately, I can see where your oncologist is coming from because those with comorbidities are occupying hospitals at a greater rate than those who are not vaccinated. Comorbidity seems to be the variable in play.  Here is raw data, no politics, just the facts, I'm sure you can triangulate with other hospitals around the country:  https://www.uofmhealth.org/coronavirus/covid19-numbers

Third: Please take a look at Holland, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival forums for additional threads about quarantining. Quarantining is ramping up tremendously, but serious illness from those who test positive has yet to be reported. Of those reporting from quarantining, it appears most have mild flu like symptoms. Whether or not you want to risk this is a personal choice. I can understand needing a vacation. 

Fourth: You may consider join various social media sites also to keep track of covid numbers. There may even be a site specific to the Pearl. 

If your heart is not set on cruising, I'm sure you know that there are lots of choices in land vacations which offer much lower population densities. A week at a spa retreat sounds lovely to me. Who knows, you may even find something you like better than cruising! 

Best to you

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I saw a La Lido Loca youtube video about a week ago addressing reports of those who had been quarantined.  You might want to have  a look at that, and maybe they've had an update.

I think it is in the ships interest to not advertise or make covid numbers widely available.  There is the push/pull between those who want to cruise like it's 2019, and those that would like to cruise again if safety protocols are in place and effective.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about your current medical condition and do wish upon you healing energy. 

Second, If you look at current hospital stats, of those admitted to University of Michigan for Covid, 86% have a comorbidity and nearly half are double vaxed and boosted. There are currently more patients admitted who are vaccinated than who are not. This trend holds true across the nation. Unfortunately, I can see where your oncologist is coming from because those with comorbidities are occupying hospitals at a greater rate than those who are not vaccinated. Comorbidity seems to be the variable in play.  Here is raw data, no politics, just the facts, I'm sure you can triangulate with other hospitals around the country:  https://www.uofmhealth.org/coronavirus/covid19-numbers

Third: Please take a look at Holland, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival forums for additional threads about quarantining. Quarantining is ramping up tremendously, but serious illness from those who test positive has yet to be reported. Of those reporting from quarantining, it appears most have mild flu like symptoms. Whether or not you want to risk this is a personal choice. I can understand needing a vacation. 

Fourth: You may consider join various social media sites also to keep track of covid numbers. There may even be a site specific to the Pearl. 

If your heart is not set on cruising, I'm sure you know that there are lots of choices in land vacations which offer much lower population densities. A week at a spa retreat sounds lovely to me. Who knows, you may even find something you like better than cruising! 

Best to you

Thank you for all this information. I work in healthcare, and our hospital system is seeing a huge uptick in Covid hospitalizations. The vast majority are not immunized, or were immunized when the vaccines became available but haven't had any boosters. We are seeing that most vaccinated and boosted individuals are still getting Covid, but symptoms are mild and the patients don't require hospitalization. I keep telling myself that even if I got Covid I should have great coverage, but that's small consolation if I were to have to put my chemo regimen on hold while I fight with Covid. A lot to think about! I will definitely look for some social media sites that specifically look at the cruise ships coming in and out of the Northeast.

I kind of have my heart set on cruising, as I haven't found any land vacation opportunities that I wouldn't have to fly to get to! We have rented a beach house on the coast of Maine for a week in July, but that means I'm going to have to do all the cooking! 🙂

Thanks, again. I love this board for all the knowledge that cruisers have. 

• Like 3

Moderna is looking to have a Omicron variant (multi-variant) booster available in the "fall".  I expect it will be as effective as the first generation vaccine against the Alpha version B,G subvariants.  If you are immunosuppressed I would take Paxlovid if you can - at the first sign of trouble, begin taking it.  Check with your Oncologist.

The truth is that people may be reluctant to report symptoms on board.  Getting quarantined to the penalty box floor when you have mild symtoms or you are not sure about your status happens a LOT more than people will say.  Nobody wants to miss out on their vacation.  Inconsiderate and dangerous yes, but it happens a lot.

I am expecting to take with me a Paxlovid course for all my travelers (oral Covid anti-virals).  Not sure if they have it available on the ship.

Best wishes and I am actively watching how the summer plays out before boarding in October.

Edited by CrazyTrain2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Kate I wish you the best and you will be in my thoughts for a full recovery❤️

When we were tested on board I asked the nurse who did the test if there were other cases on board and she wouldn’t give us a number just said yes there were. 
When I tested positive on Saturday night I called NCL with that information but the phone rep didn’t seem to know what to do with it. 

The interesting thing about this cruise is we live an hour from Boston so we didn’t even have to get on a plane like we have done a dozen other times since 2020 and Covid became a thing. 
We did a long southwest trip with multiple flights in Sept 2020 before we were vaccinated and didn’t contact Covid. 
I worked in a Senior living facility until retiring at the end of 2021 and avoided Covid all that time (we were required to be tested twice a week until we had the vaccine then once a week after the vaccine) so I would know if I had Covid before this. 

My husband is a healthy 58 yr old and I’ve never seen him so sick. We’ve been back 3 weeks tomorrow and he’s still coughing and has zero energy. Just got his taste and smell back this week. 
I thankfully just felt like I had a sinus infection.  
We were waiting until Fall to get the second booster and never thought we’d catch it on the Pearl since we cruised so safely in Nov 2021 on Divina. 

I think you could cruise safely if you wear an N95 mask at all times and avoid large groups. Maybe enjoy your balcony if you have one and don’t go in the crowded hot tubs or elevators. We had our little grandson so we were definitely out and about more than if we hadn’t had him with us. 
Also you probably wouldn’t have as many kids on your sailing as most schools get out the next week around here. 

I hope you can enjoy a cruise soon!

• Like 2

My husband and I just returned from a sailing on the Encore. We both tested positive for Covid after 2 years of being beyond careful. We even masked on the ship. The cruise was 15 days and after day 5, there were tons of people coughing, sneezing, etc....all over the ship. NCL will keep that very quiet. I should also note that the medical center cannot deal with any kind of outbreak, illness, or even small emergencies. It's a step above going to the nurses office in high school.

I originally went to the medical center with severe abdominal pain and vomiting. After they tested me and found I was positive for Covid, they told me all my symptoms and pain were due to Covid and to go back to my room and quarantine, which we did. About 8 hours later I could no longer walk, sit or stand as the pain had become intolerable. My husband called the medical center and they came in hazmat suites with a wheel chair and took me back down to the medical center. Took my vitals, etc...then gave me an IV...which was put in wrong....they didn't get it into the vein, just under my skin so the fluid built up in my arm for a few hours causing my right arm to swell massively. The pain continued. They have no capability to do any kind of scan or ultrasound. They originally wanted me to stay on board and get off in LA as planned, then head to the hospital.

My husband and I knew something was really wrong and not Covid related. After my husband repeatedly insisted, they let us get off the ship in Cabo and I was taken to the hospital there. Once I reached the hospital and they took out the IV line from the ship, the fluid starting squirting out of my elbow where the line had been inserted. The doctors there did a CT scan and discovered my appendix had ruptured. The infection had spread thru my abdomen (peritonitis) and caused my kidneys to go into failure. I went into surgery that day. I spent 5 days in the ICU at the hospital in Cabo where I received the most incredible medical care I could have ever hoped for. 

We are home now and very grateful for the care I receive in Cabo. Had I taken the advice of NCL and stayed on the ship for 2 more days, the odds are that I would have went into septic shock and died. The point I'm trying to make is please know that if something does go wrong, the ship's medical center is not equipped to handle it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

I just found the CDC info link for all cruise ships and Covid Reporting.....

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

Color Status Definitions

Cruise Ship Color Status Key
Green No reported cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness (CLI).
Yellow^ Reported cases of COVID-19 are below the threshold for CDC investigation.
Orange^ Reported cases of COVID-19 have met the threshold for CDC investigation.
Red Reported cases of COVID-19 are at or above the threshold for CDC investigation. Additional public health measures are in place.
Gray Opted out of CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships. CDC has not reviewed or confirmed the cruise ship’s health and safety protocols.

^ The “Orange” and “Yellow” ship colors were reversed for the COVID-19 program to go in a more logical color order.

† If CDC is considering assigning a cruise ship “Red” status, CDC may require ships to do one or more of the following:

• Test all passengers mid-voyage, and/or prior to the end of the voyage, regardless of the passengers’ vaccination status;
  • Increase routine screening testing of crew;
  • Require mask use by all passengers and crew indoors and crowded outdoor areas;
  • Send written notification to passengers on the current, previous, and subsequent voyages informing them of the COVID-19 conditions and measures being taken to reduce transmission on board;
  • Offer a full refund for the cruise to any passenger who decides not to sail on the subsequent voyage; and
  • Submit specimens for genetic sequencing.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheJamesGang said:

My husband and I knew something was really wrong and not Covid related. After my husband repeatedly insisted, they let us get off the ship in Cabo and I was taken to the hospital there. Once I reached the hospital and they took out the IV line from the ship, the fluid starting squirting out of my elbow where the line had been inserted. The doctors there did a CT scan and discovered my appendix had ruptured. The infection had spread thru my abdomen (peritonitis) and caused my kidneys to go into failure. I went into surgery that day. I spent 5 days in the ICU at the hospital in Cabo where I received the most incredible medical care I could have ever hoped for. 

We are home now and very grateful for the care I receive in Cabo. Had I taken the advice of NCL and stayed on the ship for 2 more days, the odds are that I would have went into septic shock and died. The point I'm trying to make is please know that if something does go wrong, the ship's medical center is not equipped to handle it.

I'm glad you're okay!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheJamesGang said:

My husband and I just returned from a sailing on the Encore. We both tested positive for Covid after 2 years of being beyond careful. We even masked on the ship. The cruise was 15 days and after day 5, there were tons of people coughing, sneezing, etc....all over the ship. NCL will keep that very quiet. I should also note that the medical center cannot deal with any kind of outbreak, illness, or even small emergencies. It's a step above going to the nurses office in high school.

I originally went to the medical center with severe abdominal pain and vomiting. After they tested me and found I was positive for Covid, they told me all my symptoms and pain were due to Covid and to go back to my room and quarantine, which we did. About 8 hours later I could no longer walk, sit or stand as the pain had become intolerable. My husband called the medical center and they came in hazmat suites with a wheel chair and took me back down to the medical center. Took my vitals, etc...then gave me an IV...which was put in wrong....they didn't get it into the vein, just under my skin so the fluid built up in my arm for a few hours causing my right arm to swell massively. The pain continued. They have no capability to do any kind of scan or ultrasound. They originally wanted me to stay on board and get off in LA as planned, then head to the hospital.

So glad that you made it out alive!!!  I'm so sorry for what you had to go through.  I hope that now that you are home your health will be back to 100% in no time!

Here I thought I had a bad experience on that sailing where I had a positive COVID self test, and the medical staff tried to convince me it was better to get tested ashore.  You are so right about NCL trying to keep illness quiet on Encore!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

There is report after report of how many cases are on board. I can't imagine an "active" cancer patient taking the chance. Covid numbers are getting higher...can't you find some fun land based vacation where you can control your surroundings better?  Good luck.

• Like 1

My husband and I just returned from a trip on the Joy.  It was slightly below half capacity which was great. We wore masks when in the theatre, rarely took an elevator, sanitized constantly and only ate in the dining rooms except for an occasional snack at the buffet.

The day we returned home my husband felt sick, tested and was positive.  Two days later I felt sick and tested positive.  Again, on a half full ship.  Wonder how things will go as they head towards full capacity?

No idea if there were people quarantining on the ship - absolutely nobody talked about it as I expected.  We tried to do everything right, but we still got COVID anyway.  We are so thankful we didn’t get it on the ship and have to quarantine.  We knew there was risk involved, but we chose to cruise anyway - just sharing our story.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AmbitionatBay said:

My husband and I just returned from a trip on the Joy.  It was slightly below half capacity which was great. We wore masks when in the theatre, rarely took an elevator, sanitized constantly and only ate in the dining rooms except for an occasional snack at the buffet.

The day we returned home my husband felt sick, tested and was positive.  Two days later I felt sick and tested positive.  Again, on a half full ship.  Wonder how things will go as they head towards full capacity?

No idea if there were people quarantining on the ship - absolutely nobody talked about it as I expected.  We tried to do everything right, but we still got COVID anyway.  We are so thankful we didn’t get it on the ship and have to quarantine.  We knew there was risk involved, but we chose to cruise anyway - just sharing our story.

Joy is currently one of 5 NCL ships that have met the threshold of reported covid cases for CDC investigation and is coded in the ship color status Orange.  The others are Bliss, Encore, Pearl and Sky.  

15 minutes ago, ShakeDaddy said:

Joy is currently one of 5 NCL ships that have met the threshold of reported covid cases for CDC investigation and is coded in the ship color status Orange.  The others are Bliss, Encore, Pearl and Sky.  

Sounds like the Dawn needs to be added to your list, according to poster#3 above.  

The Dawn disappeared off the CDC's color coded list about a week ago.  I have been keeping tabs on the Dawn's information, as we disembarked her in New York prior to the TA that is currently sailing.

We tested ourselves seven days post cruise ,  because we were having a Mothers Day Party at our home 10 days post cruise.  We tested negative.  

I was surprised to see so many ships that were "orange-under investigation".  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PacificCoastal said:

So glad that you made it out alive!!!  I'm so sorry for what you had to go through.  I hope that now that you are home your health will be back to 100% in no time!

Here I thought I had a bad experience on that sailing where I had a positive COVID self test, and the medical staff tried to convince me it was better to get tested ashore.  You are so right about NCL trying to keep illness quiet on Encore!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thank you!!!!

I know for a fact there were many cases on deck 10 where our room was. I kept being woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of a vacuum cleaner. I was asking my husband why on earth they would vacuum at 2am! What I later found out was once they remove someone from their room for Covid, they spray this machine that sounds like a vacuum in all the places they take that person. 

When they came for me in the hazmat suits and wheelchair, they did it to us. Sprayed where we went including the elevator. 

• Like 1

To see up to date information on color coding for the cdc data on covid see the chart located here. BTW: Only a government agency would come up with a color coding system and then fail to color code the data lol.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html

NCL is a very small data set. Be sure to look at how things are going across the entire industry. This supports what I've been saying since cruising resumed. There is absolutely nothing cruise lines can do to keep covid off ships. That doesn't mean cruising is unsafe, but it does mean that anyone with a comorbidity (or someone strongly adverse to quarantining) should proceed informed. 

28 minutes ago, Sea saw 56 said:

Sounds like the Dawn needs to be added to your list, according to poster#3 above.  

The Dawn disappeared off the CDC's color coded list about a week ago.  I have been keeping tabs on the Dawn's information, as we disembarked her in New York prior to the TA that is currently sailing.

We tested ourselves seven days post cruise ,  because we were having a Mothers Day Party at our home 10 days post cruise.  We tested negative.  

I was surprised to see so many ships that were "orange-under investigation".  

The list is for ships operating in or planning to operate in US waters.  If Dawn is in Europe for the summer she would not be participating in the CDC program.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1