Live … Ovation of the Seas …Alaska … May 13 - May 20, 2022

49 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I loved the aquarium pics. I need to visit there.

Thanks Greg.  This place is different than other Aquariums we have visit. Very nice place.  A bunch of different ways of presenting.  Are the videos doing OK?  I have been downsizing them so the page loads were less effected. 

I think this Sea Anemone was wiggling like callin the Hawgs!

• Like 3

Before I forget, I never saw NorthStar operating for passengers last week.  As an alternative the Space Needle and the Seattle Great Wheel is nice.  From the Wheel you can actually see a cruise ship!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Bad News for Solstice. Houston woman is lost yesterday after falling overboard.  Just after ya'll left apparently.  So sad!

Another individual?

There was an unfortunate loss early last week (May 16/17th).  

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I could watch an octopus for hours.  Such interesting creatures.

👍

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

I loved the aquarium pics. I need to visit there.

+ 3. Big fan of aquariums. We try to visit whenever there is one interesting. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Before I forget, I never saw NorthStar operating for passengers last week.  As an alternative the Space Needle and the Seattle Great Wheel is nice.  From the Wheel you can actually see a cruise ship!

Another option in Seattle is the Sky View Observatory.  From there you can look down on the Space Needle.

https://skyviewobservatory.com/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, iuki said:

We’re booked on the White Pass train tour in Skagway.  Do you, or anyone else, know if the transportation to the train picks up passengers at the pier?  How far is the walk from the ship? 

The train is right at the pier by the ship. No need for transpo to get ON the train. After your ride, the train ends downtown, you get off there and can either walk the 0.5 mile or take the shuttle for a small fee. I chose to walk. Didn't seem far.

Edited by CruiszBug

6 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks OB.  It's been a great trip but I am ready to be home.  I need a day where my longest walk is checking the tomatoes in the garden.

I am glad you enjoyed the adventure with us.

All of your pictures and videos of the aquarium are awesome, John!!  Thank you for sharing.  Great job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be glad you sailed on Ovation last week. I stayed for a second week. We had a medical evacuation yesterday afternoon (crew member who was critical, non-Covid, condition improving per the captain) which has delayed us considerably. We won’t arrive in Juneau until 6:30 pm (departure at 11:00 pm). All RCI excursions were canceled and refunded. I’m not sure if many Juneau businesses will be open late on a Sunday night. 

I’m very happy the crew member will be okay. The evacuation process by the Canadian Coast Guard helicopter was fascinating to see. We had been in thick fog all day but we were rerouted toward clear sky by the Coast Guard. That involved a couple hours of backtracking and then traveling closer to shore. With only about 45 minutes of daylight remaining we finally broke out of the fog and the rescue was completed just minutes before sunset. Bravo to all involved!

Edited by ScubaCat3
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ScubaCat3 said:

Be glad you sailed on Ovation last week. I stayed for a second week. We had a medical evacuation yesterday afternoon (crew member who was critical, non-Covid, condition improving per the captain) which has delayed us considerably. We won’t arrive in Juneau until 6:30 pm (departure at 11:00 pm). All RCI excursions were canceled and refunded. I’m not sure if many Juneau businesses will be open late on a Sunday night. 

I’m very happy the crew member will be okay. The evacuation process by the Canadian Coast Guard helicopter was fascinating to see. We had been in thick fog all day but we were rerouted toward clear sky by the Coast Guard. That involved a couple hours of backtracking and then traveling closer to shore. With only about 45 minutes of daylight remaining we finally broke out of the fog and the rescue was completed just minutes before sunset. Bravo to all involved!

Wow. So glad to hear it worked out for the crew member. Sorry it threw everything off for you.  Will you be doing your own live thread? I’m going through a bit of withdrawal after following along for the past two weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SunandShade said:

Wow. So glad to hear it worked out for the crew member. Sorry it threw everything off for you.  Will you be doing your own live thread? I’m going through a bit of withdrawal after following along for the past two weeks.

Sorry. No live thread from me. As much as I like the idea, I don’t have the energy level to maintain a week-long thread. It is a lot of work. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ScubaCat3 said:

Sorry. No live thread from me. As much as I like the idea, I don’t have the energy level to maintain a week-long thread. It is a lot of work. 

It is some work but enjoying.   It's nice sharing with great followers.  It has been fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, CruiszBug said:

The train is right at the pier by the ship. No need for transpo to get ON the train. After your ride, the train ends downtown, you get off there and can either walk the 0.5 mile or take the shuttle for a small fee. I chose to walk. Didn't seem far.

Yes, the train is at the pier, but you still have to walk down a long dock to get to it. For elderly or disabled, it could be a bit more difficult. That’s why I mentioned the trams. They were being well used for the short dock ride when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Here is a reminder that the AK water is still really cold. Keep your swiming in the hot tub or pool.

Update: Searchers find man's body in water near Skagway pier (ktoo.org)

sightcrr

There was a poster a couple of months back that asked a hypothetical question similar to this tragic event.  Hope it wasn't acted upon.

O_K. Thanks again for taking us along. Just perfect the way I like the live posts with a little about the ship but mostly about the ports and what you saw. The photos were excellent and never to many. 

With some of the questions I think I helped get a little off topic but hope it wasn't to far off topic.

Take Care and The Best To You. 

sightcrr. 

• Thanks 1