Low Sodium Diet on ship????

djtx2

Hello everyone,  I had a stroke unfortunately 2 years ago, recovered 100% but am on a low sodium diet.  As you all know sodium is in everything but at home and around town I can choose what to eat.

My question is:  has anyone had the same problem and how did you navigate eating on the ship?  The buffet is always full of high sodium stuff so I'm wondering if I would be ok for a week eating in the restaurants and only eating some healthy breakfasts at the buffet.

Any help would be so appreciated.  Our ship choice is Princess or NCL

1 hour ago, djtx2 said:

The buffet is always full of high sodium stuff so I'm wondering if I would be ok for a week eating in the restaurants and only eating some healthy breakfasts at the buffet.

This may be true for the cruise lines you mention. But, this is not the case with all cruise lines.

In particular, Oceania (known for its culinary quality and flexibility) has the same high quality ingredients and healthful preparations in every dining venue onboard from the GDR and specialty restaurants to poolside Waves and the casual Terrace Café.

Those with dietary restrictions have far more options available than would usually be found on a cruise ship.

If you can figure out how/what to eat outside the home, you can do it on the ship, too.  Go to the Main Dining Room (MDR) the first night and have a discussion with your head waiter about your sodium restriction.  He will make recommendations for that night, and before the meal is done be back with the menu for the next night and discuss what can be prepared with less or no salt.  In the buffet areas, you can ask to speak with the chef about what might have lower salt content.  EM

Just contact special service prior to the cruise & once onboard talk to the Maitre'd or Food/Beverage manager

What I have experienced is they will give you the menu a day or so before where you choose what you want to eat  & they will do there best to make it low sodium

If you go to the buffet  ask to speak to the chef  or just stick to the sit down venues

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 1:49 PM, LHT28 said:

Just contact special service prior to the cruise & once onboard talk to the Maitre'd or Food/Beverage manager

What I have experienced is they will give you the menu a day or so before where you choose what you want to eat  & they will do there best to make it low sodium

If you go to the buffet  ask to speak to the chef  or just stick to the sit down venues

I have kidney failure and a strict 1000mg. Most low sodium diets allow 2000mg. I need my food cooked without salt. Basically i need whole foods. No sauces, no salad dressing except vinegar and oil,  unsalted butter. A slice of bread or a roll may have 100-300mg of sodium! Baked potato rather than mashed potato (1/2 cup of mashed potato is about 350 mg).Unless your specific requirements are defined you can easily exceed your sodium limit. 

Once you know your own requirements its a matter of getting the matre'd or food manager on your side. Its your life - be vigilant!

The good news, so far Viking, NCL, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean have all step up and helped me meet my requirements.

• Like 2

On the last cruise we did, I completed the form requesting low sodium AND low oxalate meals.  (Oxalates contribute to kidney stones in some people.)  The chef was very happy to accommodate me, even tho the oxalate thing was totally new to him.  Sometimes  the kitchen made special versions of menu items for me.  (I should add this was last summer and the ship wasn't very full.)  Not to sound ungrateful but many of those special versions tasted pretty bad because some dishes without salt can be pretty boring if other ingredients aren't added to compensate, which we would do at home.  But on the ship they were simply eliminating salt from their regular recipe preparations and not adding anything.   With this experience, I will be aware to make better choices next time!  E.g., not choosing a dish that I used to like in its conventional preparation but something with components that are pleasing if 'unadorned.'

On 5/14/2022 at 9:54 AM, djtx2 said:

Hello everyone,  I had a stroke unfortunately 2 years ago, recovered 100% but am on a low sodium diet.  As you all know sodium is in everything but at home and around town I can choose what to eat.

My question is:  has anyone had the same problem and how did you navigate eating on the ship?  The buffet is always full of high sodium stuff so I'm wondering if I would be ok for a week eating in the restaurants and only eating some healthy breakfasts at the buffet.

Any help would be so appreciated.  Our ship choice is Princess or NCL

You should contact the Special Needs department of whichever cruise line you select.

They are VERY familiar with some of the special dietary needs, and low/no-added sodium is one of the common ones.  (Gluten free is another, for example.)

They will arrange for you to select items in advance in case something needs special preparation.  And if something cannot be prepared to work for your diet, then you'd need to select something else.

We have found every cruise to be exceedingly helpful about such concerns.

But notify the Special Needs dept in advance, so nothing falls through the cracks, and they are ready to help you.

GC

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your help in this matter.  This is why I LOVE CC because of people like all of you.  There to help a  fellow cruiser.

Everyon Stay healthy!!!  Just recovered from COVID was totally vaccinated and boosted so with that in mind, we are staying off ships for a while longer.

Thank you all again.