Celebrity Flights not useable.....Cancelling a cruise? How's FCC work?

PaperSniper4

Background (aka ***** mode<g>)

When I booked my upcoming July 2022 cruise to Bermuda back in August 2021, I also called the Celebrity's air program for our MEM-EWR and EWR-MEM flights. I have been  locked out of my Celebrity.com account so cannot do much of anything myself; long story, not applicable to the current issue. About a 6 weeks ago the airline changed our departure time from EWR at the cruise's termination from 1400 (2pm) to 1126; I received a notification from Celebrity via email that they would work to find a later flight. Apparently Celebrity only "uses" flights from EWR after 1330 (130pm). On 5/15 I decided to call Celebrity and find out what was happening. The agent found a later flight (after I found it for him logged onto the airline web site). The agent said he'd "submit the request to change the flight". I asked why this could not be done now? He said "that's the way they do it. If I booked the different flight with the airline myself it would increase the cost $1000 for us". He said I would hear back in 7 days. After 7 days I called again, and this time was told to call back in another 3 days. There is only one flight that will get us home before my personal cut off time. I am afraid those seats will be gone before Celebrity/the airline do anything.

My question finally

So I am reluctantly thinking about canceling our cruise. It is my understanding from Celebrity's web site (Cruise with Confidence HERE) that my cruise is covered and I may cancel at my discretion and I will have a future cruise credit for 1 year from our sailing date in July. But I am not an attorney, and cannot understand Celebrity's policy. I figure if anyone had to do what I am considering their experience is better than hiring an attorney.....😉

So, anyone have to take advance of the Cruise with Confidence program?

Doug

Sounds like a real pain! I've had some frustrations with Celebrity air myself, so I understand your dilemma.

When I used the CWC program to cancel our December 2021 cruise (after final payment) the Celebrity air flights were automatically canceled. My credit card was credited for the flights within two weeks, but I waited a while for the FCCs.

Based on your dates, I'd assume your cruise/cruise air booking is indeed covered by Celebrity's current CWC policy dates, but I'd confirm that with Celebrity beforehand.

Edited by Silkroad

13 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Sounds like a real pain! I've had some frustrations with Celebrity air myself, so I understand your dilemma.

When I used the CWC program to cancel our December 2021 cruise (after final payment) the Celebrity air flights were automatically canceled. My credit card was credited for the flights within two weeks, but I waited a while for the FCCs.

Based on your dates, I'd assume your cruise/cruise air booking is indeed covered by Celebrity's current CWC policy dates, but I'd confirm that with Celebrity beforehand.

Did you have a refundable air ticket when you canceled your cruise…I am trying to decide whether to PIF for our cruise out of Rome in September…the stories of isolation has got me super anxious..my cruise is covered under Cruise with Confidence but I didn’t think my flights were covered…

19 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

Did you have a refundable air ticket when you canceled your cruise…I am trying to decide whether to PIF for our cruise out of Rome in September…the stories of isolation has got me super anxious..my cruise is covered under Cruise with Confidence but I didn’t think my flights were covered…

Yes, because I booked our flights through Celebrity air. My understanding is that Celebrity air books only fully refundable flights. Mine were refundable.

A cruise from Rome in September sounds fabulous, but I certainly understand your concerns. Personally, I'd go,  but I'm fortunate in that I finally have the flexibility and means to ride out a quarantine if necessary. That said, I always have travel insurance for my international travel, and I pack extra meds and other essentials just in case. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Silkroad

6 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

Next time you talk to Celeb air and they give you the brush off - tell them to just cancel the cruise then.  They can't do it, but it may gain you some leverage to get this done.  

Then when they "accidentally" cancel your flights you are SOL. Not a wise idea. 

5 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

Next time you talk to Celeb air and they give you the brush off - tell them to just cancel the cruise then.  They can't do it, but it may gain you some leverage to get this done.  

5 hours ago, paulh84 said:

Then when they "accidentally" cancel your flights you are SOL. Not a wise idea. 

I've threatened to cancel, but yeah, we gotta be careful with threats! 😉

Doug

6 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Yes, because I booked our flights through Celebrity air. My understanding is that Celebrity air books only fully refundable flights. Mine were refundable.

I've had flights from Celebrity Air that WERE NOT refundable.

Just now, wrk2cruise said:

Do you know if the flight is ticketed or not?   Have you tried calling the airline to see if they can accommodate given it's their schedule change.

I have no idea is the flight is "ticketed".  I can see it at the airline's web page with the confirmation number I have, but that's not the same thing, is it?

Since it is a Celebrity Flight flight, I cannot change anything directly with the airline. Believe me, I tried! I got a message saying so when I tried about 2 weeks ago. Good idea though....

Doug

Celebrity acts as a consolidator that gets blocks of tickets at a discount.  The cheaper flights are now usually NOT refundable and certainly not easy to change as Celebrity needs to request changes through the airlines.  The important word is request

I was told by Celebrity that presently their flights have to be refundable because of all the issues that were created in the past for those with NRD flights.  Take this with a grain of salt, because anything can change in a heartbeat.  That's the world in which we live, so get everything in writing!  Anyway, I decided to book my own flights because Celebrity was too restrictive with their own selection.  There are certainly pos and cons with each.

Edited by Lastdance

I am not meaning this as a criticism at all more of a recommendation for others in the future. We had some issues with our flights and what I found worked best was not to wait on them ever. Try not to think of them like travel agents. They are brokers who push the buttons but aren’t really advocating for you. When our flights were screwed up by an airline change (we were changed to an overnight layover in a city for 6hrs in an airport that closes) I started searching Flights by Celebrity everyday day until I found flights at the price I wanted. I even kept a chart since we have three airports and that meant nine possibilities to search. When I found the price I wanted I called them up immediately and sat on hold but when they came on they were able to book exactly the flights we wanted. Being your own advocate is the key to working with them and never sitting by and waiting. Call every day if you can and you have not been updated. Like I said I am really not trying to criticize. I learned this through trial and error. 

Edited by georgiaguy