Is Vibration an issue on Splendor?

edgee

I am in the process of choosing a suite on Splendor...Cat. E or D likely. First time on that ship. Only a few cabins left.  Because I am very sensitive to vibration, I usually cruise in cabins as forward as possible to avoid engine noise/vibration. However,  with limited choice, I am considering #753 which is just forward of the rear stairway. Wondering if I need to be farther forward, or is vibration not an issue on Regent's newer ships? Thanks for any advice.

Ed

I was on Splendor for the TA in April. I had a terrible constant high frequency vibration in 932. Moved to 717 and we were very happy!

Chatted with one of the engineers and neither of us could come up with a logical explanation for why that particular area had a problem.

I walked up and down the hall on deck 7 a lot going to the gym on 6, and didn't come across any area of concern.

FYI, the first pinned post on this Forum is the "Suite Guru", so you might want to check Splendor and Explorer for reviews on the suite you are looking at.

• Like 1

Just now, Gpilon said:

We were in 1201 on Splendor mid May and vibration was very evident in that Suite. 

Hope you did a review on Suite Guru! Top post on the Regent Forum, go to first page, and second post contains link to spreadsheet to fill out. Then you do a comment on the last page of the topic and upload the comment spreadsheet. Then UunetBill will kindly add it to the Splendor part of the spreadsheet. Make sure you say what ship in your comment or on the filename or both.

40 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

I was on Splendor for the TA in April. I had a terrible constant high frequency vibration in 932. Moved to 717 and we were very happy!

Chatted with one of the engineers and neither of us could come up with a logical explanation for why that particular area had a problem.

I walked up and down the hall on deck 7 a lot going to the gym on 6, and didn't come across any area of concern.

FYI, the first pinned post on this Forum is the "Suite Guru", so you might want to check Splendor and Explorer for reviews on the suite you are looking at.

Wow, sounds like you could be very helpful to me since you were in 717 and liked it. Actually, I put 719 next door on hold yesterday,. Then I got concerned because when I looked at the deckplan it looked like the forward cabins on deck 7 were over the ceiling of the theatre, although it is hard to tell whether 719 is actually above most forward cabins on deck 6 or over the theatre itself. Anyway...I am assuming you had no issues with music performances or rehearsals below you in the theatre? If not, I may just stay with 719. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edgee said:

Wow, sounds like you could be very helpful to me since you were in 717 and liked it. Actually, I put 719 next door on hold yesterday,. Then I got concerned because when I looked at the deckplan it looked like the forward cabins on deck 7 were over the ceiling of the theatre, although it is hard to tell whether 719 is actually above most forward cabins on deck 6 or over the theatre itself. Anyway...I am assuming you had no issues with music performances or rehearsals below you in the theatre? If not, I may just stay with 719. Thanks.

Never heard a sound from the theater. It is on decks 4 and 5. But now looking at the deck plan, I guess that is the ceiling of the theater.! Whatever it is, it's quiet!

Wouldn't hesitate to take 719!

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound
corrected
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Hope you did a review on Suite Guru! Top post on the Regent Forum, go to first page, and second post contains link to spreadsheet to fill out. Then you do a comment on the last page of the topic and upload the comment spreadsheet. Then UunetBill will kindly add it to the Splendor part of the spreadsheet. Make sure you say what ship in your comment or on the filename or both.

Certainly did a review on Suite Guru. Gorgeous suite but lots of vibration in bedroom while sailing. 

Edited by Gpilon
  • Like 1

We were in 927 and vibration was terrible!  We were offered another cabin but was a lower category and way up forward.  Decided to "live" with it as it seemed like too much of a hassle to move.  Nice cabin except for vibration and the slider only being able to open 50% of the time.....

• Like 1

Interesting. We were in 820 and didn’t feel a thing.  We did, however, notice a lot of vibration in other various parts of the ship.  Not constant, but definitely noticeable when it was happening.  This surprised us, especially after having been on Explorer a few years ago, when we never felt any vibration anywhere.  

• Like 1

I find this thread disturbing because we are booked in Splendor 934 for 67 nights starting in Dec 2023.  I just reviewed all the Splendor and Explorer reviews on Suite Guru, and there is a paucity of reviews in that part of either ship except for the recent one from 2012_Alaska_Bound for 932.  If there is similar vibration in other areas as some have mentioned, then trying to second guess a cabin change in advance may not be that helpful.

I am hoping that this is a maintenance issue on Splendor that Regent will resolve well within the next year and a half.  Am I being too naive?

Since Explorer has been sailing a lot longer and no one is complaining about a similar issue there, that would support the idea that it should not be a design flaw, and hopefully something they can fix.  Certainly they have been made aware of it.  If not, then Navigator is not the only Regent ship with a reputation for uncomfortable vibration issues.  That would be a shame.

We are also booked on Navigator in December 2022 (in a forward suite), so we will eventually be able to make our own direct observations and comparisons.

• Like 1

We sailed on Explorer prior to Covid in 740.

The stateroom is nice but the previous cruiser, we assume, had vibration issues. He/she had driven a dinner knife into the space between the top of the wall and the ceiling, on the starboard side, as you face the bed. We did not have any vibration issues.

Our problems were with the forward sliding door to the balcony. Despite talking to various people at the front desk, maintenance, and a butler. The issue was never resolved as to why it would barely move. We gave up and used the second door. Also, it looked like someone drilled a couple of holes into the starboard sliding door, as you are facing the bed. Do not know why that would have happened.

All of the above was reported to the front desk.

Something to keep in mind, too, is that there's a lot more to vibration and noise than any specific cabin - while some cabins will naturally be more susceptible to noise and vibration than others, many other factors can enter into the equation as well - speed, direction, wave height, wind, probably even temperature can all affect the relative comfort of a cabin.  (Not to mention individual tolerance for shakes and rattles, too).

So while we can use SuiteGuru and other posts to get an idea of how a specific cabin might ride, always be aware that these ships are actually huge machines (tens of thousands of tons) muscling their way through often very rough seas (swells of up to 30' aren't uncommon) in all kinds of weather...so just be aware that, as always, "Your mileage may vary".

PS - I actually like a little 'shake, rattle and roll' - it helps me remember than I'm not just sitting in some hotel somewhere.  😄

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Gpilon said:

Certainly did a review on Suite Guru. Gorgeous suite but lots of vibration in bedroom while sailing. 

When I looked at the entry for 1201 on Suite Guru, I didn't see a mention of vibration. Would you mind adding that information, because it is definitely something I will be on the look out for since now I know I'm sensitive to it. So strange since I love the Navigator!

44 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

When I looked at the entry for 1201 on Suite Guru, I didn't see a mention of vibration. Would you mind adding that information, because it is definitely something I will be on the look out for since now I know I'm sensitive to it. So strange since I love the Navigator!

Will do.....thought it was mentioned so will update the info.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I find this thread disturbing because we are booked in Splendor 934 for 67 nights starting in Dec 2023.  I just reviewed all the Splendor and Explorer reviews on Suite Guru, and there is a paucity of reviews in that part of either ship except for the recent one from 2012_Alaska_Bound for 932.  If there is similar vibration in other areas as some have mentioned, then trying to second guess a cabin change in advance may not be that helpful.

I am hoping that this is a maintenance issue on Splendor that Regent will resolve well within the next year and a half.  Am I being too naive?

Since Explorer has been sailing a lot longer and no one is complaining about a similar issue there, that would support the idea that it should not be a design flaw, and hopefully something they can fix.  Certainly they have been made aware of it.  If not, then Navigator is not the only Regent ship with a reputation for uncomfortable vibration issues.  That would be a shame.

We are also booked on Navigator in December 2022 (in a forward suite), so we will eventually be able to make our own direct observations and comparisons.

One thing to consider is that not all cruises are the same.   I was in the same TATL cruise as Alaska_Bound and I noticed that the starboard side stabilizer was doing extra work based on the wake patterns.  We were getting constant swells from the North ( port side ) for the majority part of the cruise when we were sailing due east.  This may or may not have contributed to extra vibrations on the starboard side - or for that matter, the port side.  But, I definitely wouldn't decide based on one cruise.  Might help if any of the current cruisers can chime in.

Edited by pnsnkr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To add to the previous post, I've been collecting the suite reviews for a few years now, and I know that Splendor hasn't sailed that many cruises so far, but even so I don't know that I'd say there are enough reviews about vibrations to be overly concerned at this point.  As @pnsnkr stated, there are many reason for noise and vibration, and of course different people have varying tolerances for this.  

I'd recommend checking the reviews and following the common steps to find smooth cabins, i.e. low and central.  But just be aware that even the smoothest ships can be buzzy and shaky in the right conditions - they are big machines, after all.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with all comments above. I wouldn't say Splendor has a vibration problem. After all, Navigator supposedly has a vibration problem, but I love sailing on the Navigator.

I can only report that I didn't do well on the TA in 932, and that another RSSC regular said they had the same problem in that cabin on their February cruise. Same vibration could be felt in Coffee Connection on the TA.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

But just be aware that even the smoothest ships can be buzzy and shaky in the right conditions - they are big machines, after all.

And creaky!  I'm not sure I remember a cabin that didn't have some creaks coming from the walls when actively sailing in open seas.

• Like 3