The Daily for Sunday 05/22/2022

richwmn

5 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Jacqui, thank you for your kind words. Before I knew better, I'm afraid I probably said the wrong or insensitive thing for which I am truly sorry.  Now, I try to avoid platitudes or cliches, so not to inflict more pain.  From experience, I know however much time you have tp prepare for a loved one's death, you  are never really ready or prepared.

Lenda

I wasn’t referring to you my friend.  Everyone on the Daily has been kind, considerate  and I don’t think you or anyone else has uttered platitudes.

@USN59-79 thanks Ray.  These people know me pretty well and knew what Jose and I shared. I’m afraid I can’t be generous enough right now to give it a “pass”.  Maybe later.  A while later.

Sorry I mentioned it. I shouldn’t have 😔 

• Like 11

41 minutes ago, kazu said:

I wasn’t referring to you my friend.  Everyone on the Daily has been kind, considerate  and I don’t think you or anyone else has uttered platitudes.

@USN59-79 thanks Ray.  These people know me pretty well and knew what Jose and I shared. I’m afraid I can’t be generous enough right now to give it a “pass”.  Maybe later.  A while later.

Sorry I mentioned it. I shouldn’t have 😔 

Jacqui, I knew you weren't referring to me or anyone on the Daily.  After thanking you for your kind words, I was just sharing moremof what life has finally taught me.  I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Lenda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

@Heartgrove mentioned his brother's Parkinson's and also his Coast Guard service.  You don't normally think of Coast Guard sailors serving in Vietnam, but I remember working on large and old Coast Guard boats when serving on a Navy repair ship in Vietnam in 1970 and 1972.  Not sure if he served there, but recently Parkinson's Disease is a disease that the VA says was caused by Agent Orange for those who were there at that time.  I am aware of this as my leukemia was probably caused by the same thing.

Ray

Thank you for the thought but he was only served on the Atlantic. I'm surprised that mesothelioma hasn't gotten us with all of the old asbestos lagging. But if you were over there in 1972 you may have worked on my old ship. We sailed it from Norfolk to Guam in early 1972 along with two other CG cutters for decommissioning in preparation to lend them to the Republic of Vietnam Navy. This was during Nixon's Vietnamization program. My Coast Guard cutter/ship was originally a US Navy PT Boat tender during WWII. Upon decommissioning from the CG it reverted  back to the Navy ownership. It made it to the Philippines in 1975 when South Viet Nam fell.

- Jack

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

What may sound right to some can be received differently.  I've learned over the years that while it may not seem enough to us, in what we do say to those grieving sometimes less is more.  Just knowing someone cares is enough.

Exactly. I’ve learned that when your grieving, the only comments your memory retains are the truly ghastly ones. You will remember who came, but not what they said.
Keep condolences brief, mundane, and then STOP TALKING and move on. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good evening!  Well, today (and yesterday) was filled with two 14 year old girls.  One is our DGD and the other is DS's SO's daughter.  They are the same age.   Have you EVER been around two 14 year old girls???  I can handle one, but two?  Um, no.......    So, we had them get in the pool even though it was only 73 degrees.  They had so much fun but were so loud, our neighbors must hate us.  And then today, we did it again.  Although I did make them wait until 11:30, but they didn't mind the cold.  And I felt all I did was cook.  But they had fun and I had fun.  And I think even PaPa might have had fun.

We are really consumed with our Med cruise.  Have a great week everyone!

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

So, we had them get in the pool even though it was only 73 degrees.

Sharon I'm chuckling here.  Today was the grandsons' joint birthday party and it was an outdoor pool party.  It also was 73 here.  But the difference is that when it's 73 here we think it's a warm day and perfect for going in the pool! 😂

And no, I don't think I could handle two 14-year-old girls -- probably not even one!  😄

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Thank you for the thought but he was only served on the Atlantic. I'm surprised that mesothelioma hasn't gotten us with all of the old asbestos lagging. But if you were over there in 1972 you may have worked on my old ship. We sailed it from Norfolk to Guam in early 1972 along with two other CG cutters for decommissioning in preparation to lend them to the Republic of Vietnam Navy. This was during Nixon's Vietnamization program. My Coast Guard cutter/ship was originally a US Navy PT Boat tender during WWII. Upon decommissioning from the CG it reverted  back to the Navy ownership. It made it to the Philippines in 1975 when South Viet Nam fell.

- Jack

The Coast Guard cutters my people worked on were called WHECs.  I was the electronics repair officer on the USS Hector (AR-7).  I remember that some of the electronics on those ships was 1950s vintage.  Almost as bad as working on some South Vietnam Navy ships that we gave to France after WW2 and they gave to Vietnam when they left in the 1960s.  Those were challenging times.

Ray

• Like 7

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

The Coast Guard cutters my people worked on were called WHECs.  I was the electronics repair officer on the USS Hector (AR-7).  I remember that some of the electronics on those ships was 1950s vintage.  Almost as bad as working on some South Vietnam Navy ships that we gave to France after WW2 and they gave to Vietnam when they left in the 1960s.  Those were challenging times.

Ray

Exactly! There is a good chance that it may have been there.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

And no, I don't think I could handle two 14-year-old girls -- probably not even one!  😄

You two are wimps!  I used to handle a whole room full of 14 year old girls and boys.  And, at 7:30 in the morning.  Cruel and unusual......

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Good morning all.

Last Wednesday, we had a port call at Elba, an island North of Civitavechia on the northwest coast of Italy. We passed Giglio enroute where the Costa Concordia hit the rocks that sank the ship with 32 fatalities. 

We were able to dock. Took a bus tour of the very

scenic eastern portion of the island. 

20220518_101615.jpg

20220518_142515.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3