My experience -5 proctored Covid tests in one day

I've done this many times now on an Android phone and never had it time out. I just leave the phone propped in place and wait for the timer to go off. I've found the whole process to be easy and convenient. I know I could test for free but I prefer having a little more control over the process.

I am traveling on Uniworld, boarding in Switzerland.  From what I have read, no covid testing now needed for entry into Germany or Switzerland and Uniworld only requires vaccine cards.  So, no covid test for outbound.

Question - has anyone used the proctored EMed BinaxNOW Navica tests in Europe for entry back to the US?  We are flying Lufthansa from FRA/LAX.  They offer options on their website for covid test requirement back to US, but they are very confusing.  I would prefer to purchase in US, set up appointment for online proctored test.  Anyone had success with this?  Who checks the tests in Europe - is it the airline agent or immigration?  Just not sure if Germany will accept this test for entry into US.

1 minute ago, 101939 said:

Who checks the tests in Europe - is it the airline agent or immigration?

Airline staff. eMed test should work on US based airlines - might need to check with LH if they accept it.

2 hours ago, 101939 said:

I am traveling on Uniworld, boarding in Switzerland.  From what I have read, no covid testing now needed for entry into Germany or Switzerland and Uniworld only requires vaccine cards.  So, no covid test for outbound.

Question - has anyone used the proctored EMed BinaxNOW Navica tests in Europe for entry back to the US?  We are flying Lufthansa from FRA/LAX.  They offer options on their website for covid test requirement back to US, but they are very confusing.  I would prefer to purchase in US, set up appointment for online proctored test.  Anyone had success with this?  Who checks the tests in Europe - is it the airline agent or immigration?  Just not sure if Germany will accept this test for entry into US.

Check your airline because some wont accept it. Not flying them so not sure- look at their website.

Lufthansa site: looks straightforward to me- you can use the proctored test kits

“When entering Germany, Austria, Canada and the USA, you also have the option of using test kits with a video-accompanied and verified self-test, which are available to you as an alternative to our trusted partner laboratories. “

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 101939 said:

We used emed that we had taken with us from US ,  to travel on Lufthansa from FCO-FRA-DTW last week.  Showed results on phone at checkin in FCO. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mauimary said:

We have done tests at Walgreen with a Covid exposure and they were not free.  They billed our insurance.  Where we live in a major city on the west coast we cannot get them for travel unless we lie and say we have had a direct exposure or symptoms!  We refuse to do that 

I live in podunk Arkansas, ours are always free and they do not bill my Medicare.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:29 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

We are retired and sometimes welcome the opportunity to get out of the house.  Walgreens is less than two miles away and we can afford four miles worth of gas.  Usually we take the car to the car wash after the tests, and to get gas for the trip to the port (four of them within four hours of home).  Every time (yesterday was the eighth for us), we have received the results before we get home.

Apparently he thinks everyone should always do what he does.  So glad I can no longer see the comments he makes.  Just don't know why some people always have to harass others for their choices!  Your scenario is almost identical to mine.  To each his own, but I respect HIS choice, he evidently does not respect ours.

I just made reservations for our first cruise since all the Covid madness began, and I am trying to get my head around just what's expected in terms of testing.  This thread looks like a good resource -- especially the video on the first page. 

But I have questions -- thanks for helping someone new to boarding in a pandemic: 

- We're vaxxed and boosted.  Have cards to show.  No problem on that front.  

- I have a supply of at-home tests.  I have government tests, and my insurance gives me 8 tests per month.  Being a teacher to teenagers who largely aren't worried about Covid, I've tested myself more times than I'd like to recall over the last year and a half.  I was only positive once, and that was just after our school went mask-optional.  My adult daughter had to test just last week.  Anyway, I HAVE TESTS in the linen closet.  Several name brands.  

- I understand I need to test within 2 days of boarding the ship.  Okay, so common sense says we should be very careful in the weeks before the cruise.  Mask protocol 101.  

- The woman on the video signed up for an account with NAVICA -- but she also bought $60+ tests.  I don't want to pay for more tests, when I already have them.  If you use this online proctor thing, MUST YOU buy their tests?  I'm unapologetically cheap, and I'd like to pay nothing for this process.  

- Going to Walgreen's is appealing ... I know my insurance will pay for the test (I pay hundreds a month for this insurance, and most months I get zip in return; I will not feel guilty in the least at using their services for a vacation test), and of course I'm going to go out to the grocery store just before a vacation.  Obviously I need to pick up snacks for the car ride, bottled water, sunscreen, etc.  

- If I go to Walgreen's, they email the results to me?  And then I upload it as a part of my ahead-of-time check-in?  

- Anything I, as a new-to-Covid-cruising person, am not anticipating?  I'd really like to feel on top of this new requirement.  THANKS.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 3:43 PM, Ptroxx said:

That’s why I said to each their own. I do me and you do you.     
I usually don’t buy groceries right before I take a trip.   I usually try and empty my fridge out.   Lol. 

was it really free.   yes I paid paid for mine.  I also didn’t waste and gas driving around to CVS/Walgreens. To get tested. 
as long as youre happy wasting that money on those  emed tests more power to ya.    🍻

So judgemental..my goodness! Why care what someone else does or how they do it. It’s not hurting you or affecting your life. No need to criticize if others do things differently than you!  Say nice things or say nothing. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

So judgemental..my goodness! Why care what someone else does or how they do it. It’s not hurting you or affecting your life. No need to criticize if others do things differently than you!  Say nice things or say nothing. 

Lolol.  What I can’t speak my mind as well.   I didn’t say anything bad.  Just my opinion.    

if you can’t handle different opinions. Don’t post it on a social media site.  

Edited by Ptroxx
  • Thanks 1

@Mum2Mercurythe Covid test you need to take (1) before boarding the RCCL ship and/or (2) before flying back into the U.S. from another country have to be proctored.  You can go to Walgreen's, CVS, etc., usually requires an appointment, and get your results emailed to you.  They say it takes a couple of hours; ours in January took maybe 30 minutes.  That works fine for testing before you leave home (as long as the test is within RCCL's timeframes on their Healthy Sail webpage).

The eMed tests are proctored online and the Navica app is the way you do that. Some people use the eMed tests at home because there is no Walgreen's etc. convenient to their home.  Yes, you pay for the eMed tests but the Navica app is free.  We have purchased eMed tests to use in Vancouver when we get off our cruise and are in the hotel one night post-cruise because we'll be flying back to Texas from Vancouver.  We chose that route rather than looking for a pharmacy, testing center, etc. in Vancouver.

The free government Covid test kits -- most of the ones we've gotten are iHealth in the orange boxes -- some of them do have the option for you to pay for a proctored session.  I've heard it's $25.  The box will tell you if a proctored session is available for purchase.

So, it's all a matter of timing, convenience, access to a pharmacy, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I just made reservations for our first cruise since all the Covid madness began, and I am trying to get my head around just what's expected in terms of testing.  This thread looks like a good resource -- especially the video on the first page. 

But I have questions -- thanks for helping someone new to boarding in a pandemic: 

- We're vaxxed and boosted.  Have cards to show.  No problem on that front.  

- I have a supply of at-home tests.  I have government tests, and my insurance gives me 8 tests per month.  Being a teacher to teenagers who largely aren't worried about Covid, I've tested myself more times than I'd like to recall over the last year and a half.  I was only positive once, and that was just after our school went mask-optional.  My adult daughter had to test just last week.  Anyway, I HAVE TESTS in the linen closet.  Several name brands.  

- I understand I need to test within 2 days of boarding the ship.  Okay, so common sense says we should be very careful in the weeks before the cruise.  Mask protocol 101.  

- The woman on the video signed up for an account with NAVICA -- but she also bought $60+ tests.  I don't want to pay for more tests, when I already have them.  If you use this online proctor thing, MUST YOU buy their tests?  I'm unapologetically cheap, and I'd like to pay nothing for this process.  

- Going to Walgreen's is appealing ... I know my insurance will pay for the test (I pay hundreds a month for this insurance, and most months I get zip in return; I will not feel guilty in the least at using their services for a vacation test), and of course I'm going to go out to the grocery store just before a vacation.  Obviously I need to pick up snacks for the car ride, bottled water, sunscreen, etc.  

- If I go to Walgreen's, they email the results to me?  And then I upload it as a part of my ahead-of-time check-in?  

- Anything I, as a new-to-Covid-cruising person, am not anticipating?  I'd really like to feel on top of this new requirement.  THANKS.  

This time next week, I’ll be in Miami, waiting to set sail on my first cruise in nearly 3 years. Covid allowing, of course. 

Anyway, to answer your questions. 

1). Don’t know about the NAVICA account. But there are several online proctors who’ll allow you to use your tests. They do cost though; about $20 per session. RCCL allows them. Do a Google search for the proctors. 

2). That said, I’m going to Walgreens for testing. They are free and convenient.  I’ll be out and about next Saturday anyway, so I’m not wasting gas or time. And there are many open appointments, so it doesn’t seem like I’m stealing a slot from someone who needs one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ptroxx said:

Lolol.  What I can’t speak my mind as well.   I didn’t say anything bad.  Just my opinion.    

if you can’t handle different opinions. Don’t post it on a social media site.  

Try being kind and accepting instead of opinionated and judgemental. I’m sure you have no idea of what I speak,  so give it a while to let those words sink in….kindness…acceptance….or look them up in the dictionary if you don’t  know their meaning.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Try being kind and accepting instead of opinionated and judgemental. I’m sure you have no idea of what I speak,  so give it a while to let those words sink in….kindness…acceptance….or look them up in the dictionary if you don’t  know their meaning.

That’s what’s great about America.  Not everyone has to have the same options on what kindness is.  I was being kind. I don’t have to accept something because some one tells me to.  or I’d be a sheep and just follow along. 
Maybe you should take a look at a dictionary. Have a nice rest of your day.    See that was kind.   Lol. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

That’s what’s great about America.  Not everyone has to have the same options on what kindness is.  I was being kind. I don’t have to accept something because some one tells me to.  or I’d be a sheep and just follow along. 
Maybe you should take a look at a dictionary. Have a nice rest of your day.    See that was kind.   Lol. 

SMH U R Clueless…..no kindness options..kind is kind, unkind is unkind..you just don’t get it…so go ahead and believe you’re so great LOL

15 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

SMH U R Clueless…..no kindness options..kind is kind, unkind is unkind..you just don’t get it…so go ahead and believe you’re so great LOL

Again.  There was nothing unkind about my post.   But you can keep being clueless about this.  Seems like youre the one that wants to be great.  
so I’ll just leave this here.    
your great ah.   By Felisha.   

Edited by Ptroxx

Have a question about when to test. I did order the test kits through Royal. My cruise leaves on a Friday, so I can test 2 days prior on Wednesday. Does it matter what time on Wednesday we test?? Our boarding time on Friday is 12:30pm....does this matter? I was hoping to test before our 10:30am flight on Wednesday. I don't mind testing at 5:30am.....if it will be valid for the cruise. Would rather test at home and not worry about our internet/cell connection when we are far from home. Anyone know the protocol for this? Thanks!

On 5/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, mauimary said:

We have done tests at Walgreen with a Covid exposure and they were not free.  They billed our insurance.  Where we live in a major city on the west coast we cannot get them for travel unless we lie and say we have had a direct exposure or symptoms!  We refuse to do that 

Refreshing to see a moral code of ethics in place. 

1 hour ago, CariBear said:

Have a question about when to test. I did order the test kits through Royal. My cruise leaves on a Friday, so I can test 2 days prior on Wednesday. Does it matter what time on Wednesday we test?? Our boarding time on Friday is 12:30pm....does this matter? I was hoping to test before our 10:30am flight on Wednesday. I don't mind testing at 5:30am.....if it will be valid for the cruise. Would rather test at home and not worry about our internet/cell connection when we are far from home. Anyone know the protocol for this? Thanks!

Per the Royal Caribbean site, it does not matter what time the test or cruise is. They count by DAYS, not hours, so you will be fine testing early Wednesday morning for a Friday cruisehttps://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

I wanted to mention one difference between the government tests and the eMed tests... the eMed test boxes are annoyingly large and only have ONE test per box, so they take up lots of suitcase room. The government tests that you can pay a third party to observe are in much smaller boxes and have multiple sealed test packets per box. I just received the latest round from the US government and it is 5 "Clinitest" brand tests by Siemens in one box. The box states that it is authorized by Emergency Use Authorization so that should satisfy the requirement for a telehealth-supervised test. We plan to use our eMed tests at home prior to the cruise, and to pack the smaller tests to take with us.

tests.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mondaymonday said:

Per the Royal Caribbean site, it does not matter what time the test or cruise is. They count by DAYS, not hours, so you will be fine testing early Wednesday morning for a Friday cruise

Welcome to CC and answering that question for the umpteenth time.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:34 PM, Mondaymonday said:

Per the Royal Caribbean site, it does not matter what time the test or cruise is. They count by DAYS, not hours, so you will be fine testing early Wednesday morning for a Friday cruisehttps://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/how-do-i-figure-out-when-to-get-pre-cruise-covid-19-test

Thank you very much for your reply! 

I did know it was 2 days prior and have read RCCL's info several times. However, after searching CC and the covid testing posts, I did not see much mention of early morning testing. I am sure I will be up at 1am on Wednesday.....for last minute packing.....so if I can get the test done then....wonderful....but have not read of anyone taking the test at that time.