Requesting Advice: using travel agent for stateroom guarantee, but need 3rd person . . .

Machta

Hello friends!  We just used a travel agent for the first time, and so far I'm very pleased with her.  I do have one question as to how to handle an odd situation:  we booked a last-minute cruise on the Zaandam set to sail June 4 from Montreal.  We booked a guaranteed stateroom in a specific class we want, but our travel agent told us that HAL said we could only book 2 people until the staterooms were assigned.  After we get an assignment we can add our 20yo daughter to the trip.  I am quite sure that all the staterooms in our selected category allow for at least 3 people, so that's not the problem.

The problem is that the ship sails in 8 days and they have not assigned staterooms yet.  Our TA checked with HAL again this morning, and they still have not been assigned.  She says she's on top of it and so far she's been great.  Should I be getting worried?  What would you do in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

I have never heard of such a rule.  Perhaps it’s specific to the available rooms your TA has access to.  I book with a PCC so I am assigned a room immediately if I book a guarantee.

Perhaps do a mock booking directly on the HAL website to see what rooms are currently available and then request it from your TA.

Edited by *Miss G*

Interesting.  That's a good idea -- but the category is sold out now.  Which makes it really confusing--why don't they assign us a stateroom since they're sold out?  Thanks for your thoughts . . . 

Just now, Machta said:

Interesting.  That's a good idea -- but the category is sold out now.  Which makes it really confusing--why don't they assign us a stateroom since they're sold out?  Thanks for your thoughts . . . 

Ah. Well, if it helps at all, you should be receiving your room assignment any moment so you won’t have long to wait.  Maybe you’re going to get an upgrade!

Just my opinion if you planned to book 3 in your stateroom you should not have booked a guarantee with two of you. So many things an happen when it gets assinged, one they give you a category/stateroom that does not accomodate 3. Second there are restrictions for number of passengers in areas for Life Boats, if the ship is full even a stateroom that might accomodate 3 you will not be able to add that 3rd person. I personally do not think that was a wise decision if you absolutely plan to have your daughter travel with you. Now if it is not a big deal if she goes or not, then yes you could do this as long as you except there is a good chance she will not be able to be added on. There is a reason that HAL does not sell guarantee staterooms for 3 passengers.

• Like 7

Wow, thanks for all the good thoughts!  I really appreciate everyone's input.  I think we're going to wait until after the holiday weekend and see what the situation looks like then.  We might even just book an interior stateroom for her since they are quite inexpensive.  Thank you all, and have a wonderful weekend!

• Like 3

Hello @Machta.  Actually, I think your idea to book the interior cabin is a good one!  The extra bathroom will be good to have as well as the privacy!  She can hang out with you during the day if your cabin is larger and has a balcony.  Let us know what you decide and have a wonderful cruise.  

~Nancy

• Like 2

Thanks @oakridger !  There are a lot of interior and Oceanview staterooms still available, so I'm not worried about it.  I did call and talk to someone at HAL (after only 10 minutes on hold!) who confirmed that we cannot add a 3rd person to the suite guarantee until they have assigned the stateroom.  She said it could be as late as 24 hours before sailing, but that would be fine and that's enough time to add our daughter.  We will see . . . 

17 hours ago, Machta said:

Just because the website says sold out does not mean it actually is.  I have seen this often when HAL is in the middle of assigning cabins or doing an upsell offering.  They need to do this to avoid accidentally double booking cabins (IMO).  This may clear in a day or two.

Update as of Tuesday 5/31:  As Ma Ingalls used to say, all's well that ends well.  They assigned us a stateroom first thing this morning and our travel agent immediately added our daughter to the stateroom and called me to collect the additional taxes and fees.  I needn't have worried; we are all set!  Thanks for your input!

• Like 8

Okay so since you're all set 😁 , I will steal your thread.

I am a bit of a control freak and have never used a travel agent until now.  I was obligated to due to it being a work bonus trip. 

We booked NCL Pride of America and they were offering all the Free At Sea Perks. Drink package, $50 off excursion, specialty dining, and free wi-fi.

The NCL website had a great price.  The TA booked the trip and saved us a few hundred dollars.

I received the confirmation from the TA and there is no info except the total price and all these promo codes. 

PROMO CODES: DISC35
EASYFARE
FS00I
GAP025
GROUP 
DEPOSIT A

I emailed the TA and that I didn't see any of the Free At Sea or gratuities for t broken down and they said it's a group rate and they are there.

I login to our reservation on NCL and the beverage package is available to purchase as is the speciality dining, some excursions have to be booked in advance so who applies the credit?

I called NCL to confirm and they refused to talk to us 🤔 saying we needed to speak to the TA.

I don't want to get to Hawaii and be surprised with all these extra fees.

Can anyone share their experience with a TA or provide some insight?  

I really appreciate any answers/insight anyone can provide.

Thank you.

Edited by crbnlvr
Spelling

28 minutes ago, crbnlvr said:

I am a bit of a control freak and have never used a travel agent until now.  I was obligated to due to it being a work bonus trip. 

We booked NCL Pride of America and they were offering all the Free At Sea Perks. Drink package, $50 off excursion, specialty dining, and free wi-fi.

The NCL website had a great price.  The TA booked the trip and saved us a few hundred dollars.

I received the confirmation from the TA and there is no info except the total price and all these promo codes. 

EASYFARE
FS00I
GAP025
GROUP 
DEPOSIT A

I emailed the TA and that I didn't see any of the Free At Sea or gratuities for t broken down and they said it's a group rate and they are there.

I login to our reservation on NCL and the beverage package is available to purchase as is the speciality dining, some excursions have to be booked in advance so who applies the credit?

I called NCL to confirm and they refused to talk to us 🤔 saying we needed to speak to the TA.

Thank you.

Since this thread is on the Holland America forum, and you are asking about an NCL cruise, I suggest you post your question on the NCL forum, you might get better answers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, crbnlvr said:

EASYFARE
FS00I
GAP025
GROUP 
DEPOSIT A

Thank you.

I will answer since I have cruised qutie a bit of NCL. When you lg into NCL they ALWAYS advertise to purchase these items even if you already have them. But if it is there you will not be able to buy. But also they have packages such as premium beverage package and Premium Wifi that is an upgrade from what you have already. I would ask you Travel Agent for the amenities list from Norwegian.

• Thanks 1