HAL email asking me to volunteer for …

Freckles1983

Hal emailed me this notice, 8 days out from my 18 Yukon Denali Alaska cruise asking me to volunteer to not go on this cruise due to  operating at a reduced capacity and offered to pay 100% fcc.  Has anyone got this offer too?

It doesn’t seem like a very tempting offer.  Am I missing something?

100% FCC in lieu of a refund, or in addition? If it's the former, then I concur, there's no rationale for taking the offer.

I haven't personally seen anything of the sort on my cruise (Alaska roundtrip from Seattle on Eurodam).

Edited by strickerj

In addition to being a terrible offer, you would likely lose all the extra perks you got for this trip. And unless you live right next to terminal, with only 8 days to go, you certainly have other costs to which you have committed. A big NO WAY from me. 

A few years ago, I was booked on a cruise that was oversold. I live close to the departure port so I was able to accept the offer which was for a full refund plus a free 7 day cruise to a destination of my choosing. Definitely call to clarify the offer. 

It was an email from HAL with an attachment regarding “important information about your trip”.  Seemed legit , as every other correspondence came thru the same way.  This is the txt copy and pasted …

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
In order to ensure the best possible cruisetour experience for our guests, we will be operating our cruisetours at a reduced capacity. Therefore, we are looking for volunteers and as one of our valued guests booked on a cruisetour, we are pleased to offer you the opportunity to sail at a later date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the base cruisetour fare paid, as well as a refund of all pre-paid services booked through Holland America Line. Additionally, all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of accepting this offer may be reimbursed.
This offer is capacity controlled and will be honored on a first come, first served basis. Please call 1-888-628-8107 (North America) or 1-206-626-7381 (International) or email us at Ship_Inventory@hollandamerica.com to accept this offer.
Ships' Registry: The Netherlands Booking: (removed for privacy) Statement Date: May 27, 2022

it sounds like they would refund me what I paid for it but also that I’d probably have to fight them for the hotels/flights I didn’t book thru them.  Just doesn’t seem like much of an offer for me to do them a favour  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

anyway maybe I’m reading it wrong and someone could point that out to me.  I appreciate all the responses and I haven’t called HAL yet because I’ve been working all weekend and also have no intention of “volunteering “ to give up this bucket list trip I’ve booked for my husband and I. 

• Like 2

Several years ago this happened to us on a Princess SA cruise.

It was a ‘move over’ offer as follows

-100 percent fare refund

- a free 14 day cruise of our choice.  I recall we had to book within 18 months.  Our original cruise was 14 days.

-an upgrade on that cruise from balcony cabin to mini suite

-up to $300 USD reimbursement for any air cancellation charges that we incurred.

It took us about 5 seconds to accept.  Our online TA arranged the con call with us and with Princess to review the details. 

This was not a one off.  We met 2 other people on our subsequent cruise who were given the identical incentive by Princess to walk from their respective booked cruise.   We keep hoping for another offer like this!

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

It was an email from HAL with an attachment regarding “important information about your trip”.  Seemed legit , as every other correspondence came thru the same way.  This is the txt copy and pasted …

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
In order to ensure the best possible cruisetour experience for our guests, we will be operating our cruisetours at a reduced capacity. Therefore, we are looking for volunteers and as one of our valued guests booked on a cruisetour, we are pleased to offer you the opportunity to sail at a later date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the base cruisetour fare paid, as well as a refund of all pre-paid services booked through Holland America Line. Additionally, all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of accepting this offer may be reimbursed.
This offer is capacity controlled and will be honored on a first come, first served basis. Please call 1-888-628-8107 (North America) or 1-206-626-7381 (International) or email us at Ship_Inventory@hollandamerica.com to accept this offer.
Ships' Registry: The Netherlands Booking: (removed for privacy) Statement Date: May 27, 2022

it sounds like they would refund me what I paid for it but also that I’d probably have to fight them for the hotels/flights I didn’t book thru them.  Just doesn’t seem like much of an offer for me to do them a favour  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

anyway maybe I’m reading it wrong and someone could point that out to me.  I appreciate all the responses and I haven’t called HAL yet because I’ve been working all weekend and also have no intention of “volunteering “ to give up this bucket list trip I’ve booked for my husband and I. 

They are offering to move you to a different date for this year, no additional money from you PLUS give you the same dolar amount you paid for a Future Cruise Credit. So by moving you get two cruises for what you have paid. If you plans are open this summer and you want to cruise some more it sounds like a great deal. If you plans for this date are pretty much set in stone and hard to change then choose to pass. You should at least call them to see what date they can move you to.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

They are offering to move you to a different date for this year, no additional money from you PLUS give you the same dolar amount you paid for a Future Cruise Credit. So by moving you get two cruises for what you have paid. If you plans are open this summer and you want to cruise some more it sounds like a great deal. If you plans for this date are pretty much set in stone and hard to change then choose to pass. You should at least call them to see what date they can move you to.

Okay I read it as they would give me a fcc for the amount I paid for this cruise..  I don’t see where it says an fcc and a refund for this trip.  But you’re right I should call them.

Sorry for the confusion 

5 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

Okay I read it as they would give me a fcc for the amount I paid for this cruise..  I don’t see where it says an fcc and a refund for this trip.  But you’re right I should call them.

Sorry for the confusion 

1 minute ago, blueexpedition29 said:

The "additionally" also seems to indicate that they will reimburse other expenses that you incur as a result of accepting their offer.  This might include any fare cancellation costs. 

freckles - they say "sail on another cruise later this year AND a future cruise credit.  I agree that you probably CANT get an actual refund; but, they will move you to another cruise at no cost.  End Result : one free cruise. 

6 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

Sorry for the confusion 

The line below says what they are doing,  they are offering you to sail a different date for the Cruisetour AND receive 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the base cruise tour fare plus reimbursement of expenses on travel changes. But question...when did you get the offer. Offers like these sometimes go quickly so this may all be lots of talk for nothing. You may call and find out they have had enought volunteers to move to a different date.

we are pleased to offer you the opportunity to sail at a later date and receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit equal to the base cruisetour fare paid, as well as a refund of all pre-paid services booked through Holland America Line. Additionally, all reasonable expenses incurred as a result of accepting this offer may be reimbursed.

4 minutes ago, julia said:

I think the confusion comes from the statement "refund of all pre-paid services".  It should state: "full refund of the currently booked cruise".

NO - there is no suggestion of a refund of the cruise fair.  The reference to "refund of all pre-paid services" is referring to things like excursions, spa, specialty dining,etc that may have been booked/prepaid.

5 minutes ago, blueexpedition29 said:

NO - there is no suggestion of a refund of the cruise fair.  The reference to "refund of all pre-paid services" is referring to things like excursions, spa, specialty dining,etc that may have been booked/prepaid.

Ok, makes sense. But not sure why anyone would take this offer then....

27 minutes ago, julia said:

Ok, makes sense. But not sure why anyone would take this offer then....

yes so it turns out that it would just be them moving my cruise to a future date.  And using the fcc to pay for that cruise.  Absolutely no incentive for me and the lady I spoke to on the phone laughed when I asked if it would be like getting two cruises.  Even putting this most recent phone call aside the customer service line at HAL really has some work to do since I last sailed with them.

we've paid full pop for this trip and already so many things have been reduced/altered/cancelled that I’m beginning to wonder if we are getting a subpar trip for what we paid.  Sorry to sound negative but it’s hard not to question it when almost every week I’m getting an email from them about something being changed or cancelled.  I cringe now every time I see an email from HAL in my inbox.  That being said I realize the industry is going thru the wringer but I had to vent. 

thanks again for everyone’s responses 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

e've paid full pop for this trip and already so many things have been reduced/altered/cancelled that I’m beginning to wonder if we are getting a subpar trip for what we paid.

It might be worth moving it to next year when everything should be back to normal.  We are doing this same tour but only as an extension of a larger trip.  If I were in your shoes I would seriously consider 2023

We tentatively agreed to our Princess move over offer.  

We asked for the offer in writing so there would be no misunderstanding at a later date.  Rec’d it 15 minutes later and agreed.

If you accept the offer my strong advice would be to get the T’s & C’s in writing.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Freckles1983 said:

yes so it turns out that it would just be them moving my cruise to a future date.  And using the fcc to pay for that cruise.  Absolutely no incentive for me and the lady I spoke to on the phone laughed when I asked if it would be like getting two cruises.  Even putting this most recent phone call aside the customer service line at HAL really has some work to do since I last sailed with them.

we've paid full pop for this trip and already so many things have been reduced/altered/cancelled that I’m beginning to wonder if we are getting a subpar trip for what we paid.  Sorry to sound negative but it’s hard not to question it when almost every week I’m getting an email from them about something being changed or cancelled.  I cringe now every time I see an email from HAL in my inbox.  That being said I realize the industry is going thru the wringer but I had to vent. 

thanks again for everyone’s responses 

You have every right to vent, and your concerns are VALID!   Thanks for sharing this situation and I hope your cruise is smooth sailing.

• Like 2