Azamara Port Stanley Falklands

roberts2005

Looking at a January 24, 2023 cruise on Azamara Pursuit in South America.  The itinerary lists the ship ad docked in Port Stanley.  I thought this was a tender port.  We missed the port back in 2007 due to bad weather and not being able to tender.

‘’is the ability to dock something new.?

17 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

That’s what I thought, but was hoping otherwise.

It was definitely a tender port, we were lucky to make it in 2008 but the tendering was delayed due to the weather in the morning

It's always a lottery but very worth it when you get in, the weather was lovely in the Afternoon and we stayed very late in the evening.

Maybe it's changed since 2008?.

Edited by Bloodaxe

We have been to the Falklands four times and never seen a cruise ship docked.  It’s a tender with a fairly long ride to the dock.  Of our four visits, we have landed three out of four.  If you go, try and go to Volunteer Point.  It’s a two hour ride across the tundra (each way) and then more penguins (including king penguins) then I have seen outside of Antarctica and here you can get within feet of them.  There is a local guy named Patrick Watts who runs the tours, there not cheap, maybe $100/pp but well worth it.  The tundra ride is lots of fun as well.

7 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

We have been to the Falklands four times and never seen a cruise ship docked.  It’s a tender with a fairly long ride to the dock.  Of our four visits, we have landed three out of four.  If you go, try and go to Volunteer Point.  It’s a two hour ride across the tundra (each way) and then more penguins (including king penguins) then I have seen outside of Antarctica and here you can get within feet of them.  There is a local guy named Patrick Watts who runs the tours, there not cheap, maybe $100/pp but well worth it.  The tundra ride is lots of fun as well.

I have sent Patrick an email.  Waiting to hear back.  In 2007 we missed the Falklands and Puerto Madryn..

finally saw Puerto Madryn in 2019 on the Pursuit. Hoping this time we make the Falklands.

• Like 2

We have been to the Falklands twice.

First time was on HAL's Zaandam. The stop at Stanley was tender, and would always be for a ship that size. Even with the smaller Azamara it would have to be tender. And that is very weather dependent. 

Our second visit to Stanley was with Hurtigruten's Fram and it was docked at the industrial berth a little out of town.  The issue was getting the Fram through the narrow entrance to the harbour, rather than the actual dock. It can be very windy, in which case it is hard to get into the harbour. 

Would go back to the Falklands any day, given the opportunity!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 5:59 PM, roaming_kiwi58 said:

We have been to the Falklands twice.

First time was on HAL's Zaandam. The stop at Stanley was tender, and would always be for a ship that size. Even with the smaller Azamara it would have to be tender. And that is very weather dependent. 

Our second visit to Stanley was with Hurtigruten's Fram and it was docked at the industrial berth a little out of town.  The issue was getting the Fram through the narrow entrance to the harbour, rather than the actual dock. It can be very windy, in which case it is hard to get into the harbour. 

Would go back to the Falklands any day, given the opportunity!

I love the Falklands.  I did it on a ship the size of the Fram and we stopped at 4 of the outer islands in the Falklands.  They were actually more interesting than Port Stanley and we saw lots and lots and lots of wildlife.

DON

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I love the Falklands.  I did it on a ship the size of the Fram and we stopped at 4 of the outer islands in the Falklands.  They were actually more interesting than Port Stanley and we saw lots and lots and lots of wildlife.

DON

Yes, with the Fram we stopped at several of the West Falklands Islands too (tender of course). As you say the wildlife was truly amazing. But we enjoyed the stop in Stanley too - great souvenir shopping! 

However for wildlife nothing beats South Georgia! Penguins for miles on the beaches! Oh, would love to go back to South Georgia or Falklands!

5 hours ago, roaming_kiwi58 said:

Yes, with the Fram we stopped at several of the West Falklands Islands too (tender of course). As you say the wildlife was truly amazing. But we enjoyed the stop in Stanley too - great souvenir shopping! 

However for wildlife nothing beats South Georgia! Penguins for miles on the beaches! Oh, would love to go back to South Georgia or Falklands!

I also did S. Georgia!!!!!  I think that we were there for 6 or 7 days if I remember correctly.  You can't beat 500,000 nesting pairs of penguins on one beach.

DON

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 8:53 AM, roberts2005 said:

Looking at a January 24, 2023 cruise on Azamara Pursuit in South America.  The itinerary lists the ship ad docked in Port Stanley.  I thought this was a tender port.  We missed the port back in 2007 due to bad weather and not being able to tender.

‘’is the ability to dock something new.?

We visited Port Stanley on the Pursuit in Jan 2019. Via tender.

On 6/1/2022 at 3:51 PM, audobon_tx said:

If interested I posted info on Patrick Watts Volunteer Point tour on the Pursuit Roll Call for 7 JAN 23.

We went with Patrick Watts to Volunteer Point in January 2019. It was an unforgettable experience because of the king penguins. It was the exact same tour that Azamara offered, but it only cost half of what Azamara charged. 

• Like 1

If you're considering Patrick Watts' tour, be sure to look at the picture of the grass track terrain in post #8. This is not a tour for anyone with back issues.  One of the men who went with us had trouble walking when we got back. It is a very rough ride. That said, I never imagined I'd be within inches of a penguin. It was an amazing day.