Ventura promenade v's Iona's

emam

For those of you that have been on both ships how do you think the two promenades compare? Also can you actually get to the front of the ship on Iona like you can on Ventura?

• Like 1

Much better prom deck on Iona with outside dining and lots of seats plus whirlpools. Yes a gentle slope to the front of the ship and I would hate to be occupying one of those cabins.

PROM B.jpg

PROM D.jpg

PROM G.jpg

PROM W.jpg

PROM X.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Much better prom deck on Iona with outside dining and lots of seats plus whirlpools. Yes a gentle slope to the front of the ship and I would hate to be occupying one of those cabins.

PROM B.jpg

PROM D.jpg

PROM G.jpg

PROM W.jpg

PROM X.jpg

So not quiet like on Ventura. Looks nice though.

5 hours ago, emam said:

For those of you that have been on both ships how do you think the two promenades compare? Also can you actually get to the front of the ship on Iona like you can on Ventura?

The promenade deck 8 on Iona runs the full perimeter of the ship and I recorded 1000 paces on my phone's health app.

There is a quiet jogging track on deck 18 panorama deck.

Ventura has a nice promenade deck too.

Graham.

• Like 1

This probably sounds a bit stupid to some but it's a bit difficult how to word it.   I like to 'look' at the sea, but on Iona I was  'looking' at the sea, but through a glass screen, which meant, to me, I, I wasn't actually   'looking' at the sea, but looking at the sea through a screen.

Sounds silly to me now, but I know what I mean!🙃😂

• Like 6

9 hours ago, indiana123 said:

This probably sounds a bit stupid to some but it's a bit difficult how to word it.   I like to 'look' at the sea, but on Iona I was  'looking' at the sea, but through a glass screen, which meant, to me, I, I wasn't actually   'looking' at the sea, but looking at the sea through a screen.

Agree. We like both Ventura and Britannia for different reasons. The prom deck and being able to walk along the front and back of Ventura. It's lovely sitting on there and watching the sea, as you say through the rails. Britannia has lots of nooks and crannys and the lido deck has some proper seating where it's lovely to sit when it's quiet and no one about. Quite like the "fridge" as well (sunset bar).

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

Ventura is a proper prom deck, covered and sheltered. Iona is open to the elements and was so busy and congested with sunbeds could hardly get round it.

Indeed, Iona is not suited to cold weather cruises so I suppose they opted for Norway because they could get LNG supplies.

I liked the prom deck on Oceana as there were always sheltered places to sit

17 hours ago, indiana123 said:

This was my main bugbear with Iona. I want to take an evening stroll and look out to sea while leaning on a rail, but could only really get that feeling in a few small areas.  Especially as the glass is often a bit hazy with salt spray, it's not ideal. 

Personally I think they should be selling deck 8 cabins as obstructed view (not just for glass but for various barriers & whirlpools) but others disagree. 

• Like 3

I  think I read somewhere that those Deck 8  conservatory cabins are as pricey as the higher ones.  I think they should be quite a lot cheaper. We were on Deck 9 and we loved our cabin but I wouldn't have been so happy on 8

• Like 3

Ventura over Iona all day long for me. 
Too many obstacles and passengers on the Iona for my liking… The stern walk around is much better than the bar area on the Iona and much more romantic and closer to the sea for that adrenaline rush 😊

• Like 1

We like Ventura and even Azura, despite the glass house on the latter not being a patch on Ventura's "Ramblas" layout. 

But as we now spend a lot of time in our cabin the minuscule TVs on these 2 ships really is a turn off for us.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We like Ventura and even Azura, despite the glass house on the latter not being a patch on Ventura's "Ramblas" layout. 

But as we now spend a lot of time in our cabin the minuscule TVs on these 2 ships really is a turn off for us.

We were supposed to go on Azura but Covid put paid to that. 

15 hours ago, indiana123 said:

I  think I read somewhere that those Deck 8  conservatory cabins are as pricey as the higher ones.  I think they should be quite a lot cheaper. We were on Deck 9 and we loved our cabin but I wouldn't have been so happy on 8

It often mentioned on here about Fred Olsen on one of there ships they also have cabins next to the promenade, strangely you never hear any complaints about them.

31 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

It often mentioned on here about Fred Olsen on one of there ships they also have cabins next to the promenade, strangely you never hear any complaints about them.

I think because they aren’t expensive cabins unlike Iona’s. You are in no danger of being upgraded to them from a normal balcony cabin or guarantee cabin. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer

Borealis and Bolette are the former Rotterdam and Amsterdam and don't have any balcony cabins as all balconies are listed as suites. Those terrace cabins  have a sliding door to the promenade deck and 2 chairs reserved out there. Worse than Iona IMO

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I think because they aren’t expensive cabins unlike Iona’s. You are in no danger of being upgraded to them from a normal balcony cabin or guarantee cabin. 

You obviously never priced up a Fred cruise, and you can opt out of upgrades.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

You obviously never priced up a Fred cruise, and you can opt out of upgrades.

What I am saying is that the Fred cabins are lower priced then balcony cabins whereas the Iona conservatory cabins are higher priced than balcony cabins.