Anyone boarded with a certificate of recovery rather than testing? What is required?

Eli_6

I can’t speak for the Europe requirements but my sister got on the Glory Sunday with just the positive lab test result beyond 10 days. The Carnival site is pretty clear that’s all that is needed so not sure why they would ask for anything else at the port. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

I can’t speak for the Europe requirements but my sister got on the Glory Sunday with just the positive lab test result beyond 10 days. The Carnival site is pretty clear that’s all that is needed so not sure why they would ask for anything else at the port. 

Well, it will be a Europe cruise I am doing this for.  I have to have the letter of recovery/fit to travel from my dr to get back in the US anyway.

5 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Well, it will be a Europe cruise I am doing this for.  I have to have the letter of recovery/fit to travel from my dr to get back in the US anyway.

Right. Sorry. Just saw some folks talking about the requirements in general. Not sure where the letter from a doctor came from. Maybe the European requirements? Because sometimes the Carnival language is fuzzy. But not in this case. 

Edited by Hoosierpop

5 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

Right. Sorry. Just saw some folks talking about the requirements in general. Not sure where the letter from a doctor came from. Maybe the European requirements? Because sometimes the Carnival language is fuzzy. But not in this case. 

Well, I was surprised they weren't requiring more because the US government requires a doctor's letter to get back in the US if you fly home in addition to your positive result.  Also, apparently if you are less than ten days from the positive, you also have to have a doctor's note for Carnival. 

5 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

Well, I was surprised they weren't requiring more because the US government requires a doctor's letter to get back in the US if you fly home in addition to your positive result.  Also, apparently if you are less than ten days from the positive, you also have to have a doctor's note for Carnival. 

Got it. Don’t get me wrong, if someone saw a doctor and has a note, better to be safe. Never know what hassle there might be at the port. 

Eli,

Thank you so much for starting this thread.  I did not think that I would be in this situation, but now I am. DW caught Covid 2 weeks ago and is still testing positive one week after all symptoms have disappeared.  We are scheduled to board the Spirit to Alaska later this month, so I had her take an official Covid test today to be more than 10 days prior to departure.

Enjoy your cruise on the Pride in Europe.  We were booked on a B2B on Pride in August, but moved it to next year not wanting to deal with the current issues traveling abroad.

• Like 1

Yeah, no doctor note required per Carnival website.  “A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date).”

Heading out in the morning with 2 negative tests in hand--woohoo. this makes things easier. - I will ask at embarkation just the same as planned since I was prepared to use my 2 positive tests from 11 days ago and get an answer from them to share with the board here. I do believe it is very subjective as to who the agent is and how knowledgeable they may be about all this. 

• Thanks 2

On 6/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, Mike Dante said:

Heading out in the morning with 2 negative tests in hand--woohoo. this makes things easier. - I will ask at embarkation just the same as planned since I was prepared to use my 2 positive tests from 11 days ago and get an answer from them to share with the board here. I do believe it is very subjective as to who the agent is and how knowledgeable they may be about all this. 

So, as reported previously, a positive test older than 10 days but less than 90 days is good to embark with. No Dr letter needed. This agent was up to speed with her info on the matter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 6/6/2022 at 2:45 PM, Eli_6 said:

I am not worried about getting a certificate of recovery. My husband is a physician and has a nurse practitioner who works for him and his sister is also a family practice nurse practitioner.  

As an aside, we tested my children and just got their results back this morning.  They were NEGATIVE!  Despite being in direct contact with two positive parents (one who actually got sick) they are still negative.  So, we are going to have to test them both before the cruise and to get back in the United States. Sigh.  I was sort of hoping they would be positive so no one would have to test.  But I guess vaccinated kids who were vaccinated last November are better off than their vaccinated and boosted parents.  I even only got my booster in late April.  It still saves us money on the adult testing, though, and clearly we are much more likely to test positive from an exposure than they are!

This happened to us. Got off Mardis Gras last week and my wife and I tested positive. So many in our FB group ended up at least reporting they were. Anyway, she and I made it through this past week OK. But, our two teenagers who've repeatedly tested negative were pretty sick. I read a good NY Times article noting how many times you have the virus in this instance, but there's not enough in your nostrils or throat to register and/or your immune system with the help of vaccines and/or boosters has already begun fighting it so aggressively.

• Like 1

I don't want to sound stupid, but I want to make sure I am taking care of things properly.  My family of three all tested positive after debarking from Panorama June 4.  We are still testing positive as of today with the at home tests though the covid line is very faint.  We are scheduled to cruise again on Mardi Gras July 2, so in 20 days.

Should we go get tested at Walgreens to have the positive test recorded now?  And, if so, what would we need to have done before cruising?  Thank you for your help!

9 hours ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

Nevermind.  I think I get it.  Just go get tested more than 10 days out and bring the positive test with us in case we don't test negative two days out from the cruise, correct?

If you want to go the Document of Recovery route and forego the pre-cruise testing, then yes, you'll need to get a positive viral test result from a certified laboratory.  If you still plan to do the pre-cruise testing and you're worried about still testing positive even though you've recovered, then yes, definitely get the lab-certified positive test as a back-up.  From the Carnival web site (https://www.carnival.com/legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols):

Document of Recovery

Guests who have recovered from COVID-19 within 3 months of their sailing date do not need the required pre-cruise test if they are at least 10 days past their positive test result date, have no symptoms and produce document of recovery from COVID-19. A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date).

• Like 2

We just returned from a cruise where we went the document of recovery route with our 4 year old. We had both the positive test and a letter from her doctor to be safe because I had read many people saying the letter was required even though carnivals website says you only need the positive test. I gave them only the positive test first without even mentioning the letter to see if they take it, and the rep said he needs a letter from the doctor. So I gave him the letter and he cleared us to cruise. I probably could have made a case saying that’s not what the website says, but who knows where it would have gotten me, so I definitely recommend bringing a letter from the doctor to be safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

I don't want to sound stupid, but I want to make sure I am taking care of things properly.  My family of three all tested positive after debarking from Panorama June 4.  We are still testing positive as of today with the at home tests though the covid line is very faint.  We are scheduled to cruise again on Mardi Gras July 2, so in 20 days.

Should we go get tested at Walgreens to have the positive test recorded now?  And, if so, what would we need to have done before cruising?  Thank you for your help!

If you have a PCR test from Walgreens where the walgreens person gives you the test, then you just need the positive result and to be 10+ days out from the positive. That is it.  But I don't think a positive home test will work.  It has to be from a lab. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jerseygirlinAZ said:

Can it be the NAAT test?

From Carnival: 

"Guests must be tested with a COVID-19 viral test that is either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT)."

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, Eli_6 said:

Not as of 6/10. So you can take that worry away.

My travel partner tested positive on June 11th, we leave this coming Sunday.  She is symptom free, but still testing positive. 

Her positive tests have (so far) all been on home tests.  When she went to the doctors, they told her that since she tested positive on a home test, they did not need to do one.  She is going to see her doctor on Thursday and is going to get the letter of recovery.  But I see people saying that you need to have a lab positive test for Carnival to allow you on.

My question is- is the positive test that they are looking for, the one that you have to take 2-3 days prior to embarkation OR are they wanting a lab test prior to the 10 days?

2 minutes ago, kgc3200 said:

My travel partner tested positive on June 11th, we leave this coming Sunday.  She is symptom free, but still testing positive. 

Her positive tests have (so far) all been on home tests.  When she went to the doctors, they told her that since she tested positive on a home test, they did not need to do one.  She is going to see her doctor on Thursday and is going to get the letter of recovery.  But I see people saying that you need to have a lab positive test for Carnival to allow you on.

My question is- is the positive test that they are looking for, the one that you have to take 2-3 days prior to embarkation OR are they wanting a lab test prior to the 10 days?

The positive lab test must be 10-90 days prior to the cruise.  Sounds like your partner won’t be able to cruise unless they test negative between this coming Friday and Sunday.

2 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

The positive lab test must be 10-90 days prior to the cruise.  Sounds like your partner won’t be able to cruise unless they test negative between this coming Friday and Sunday.

Oh man that sucks....she even called Carnival and they didn't say anything about needing the positive to be at least 10 days out.

2 hours ago, kgc3200 said:

Oh man that sucks....she even called Carnival and they didn't say anything about needing the positive to be at least 10 days out.

Hopefully she will get a negative test prior to the cruise.  Too bad her doctor didn’t do an “official” test after her home test was positive.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 4:11 AM, CruzRelaxer said:

Yeah, no doctor note required per Carnival website.  “A Document of Recovery is accepted from both fully vaccinated and unvaccinated guests (with a Carnival-approved exemption) and consists of a paper or electronic copy of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days prior to the sailing date).”

Can someone post link for the sailing within 90 days after covid positive, and that No Letter of recovery necessary.Thanks . We are sailing a rebooked cruise from June due to “the cron” as DH calls it now. So sailing again in Aug now with Senior parents so want to dot I’s, cross T’s. 

5 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

Can someone post link for the sailing within 90 days after covid positive, and that No Letter of recovery necessary.

Here is the link: https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

The explanation for Document of Recovery is a little more than halfway down.

Carnival defines a "Document of Recovery" as a certified positive test result taken at least 10 days but no more than 90 days before boarding.  You also need to not be experiencing symptoms at boarding time.

We are boarding next week, and just to be safe, we also obtained a letter of recovery from our doctor for DH who recovered over 2 weeks ago.  Technically this is not required, but others have claimed that uninformed shoreside agents have asked for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1