Air Disruptions in Amsterdam

mjdenn

With the current disruptions in Ansterdam how will Holland America handle any ticketing problems for flight ease.  While we have time before we sail I'd like to better understand the flight change process.  Does the change have to come from FE or can the airline make the required change.

Thanks

Mjdenn

What disruptions...or is this a HAL thing?

We're cruising out of Amsterdam in July on RCI Jewel and booked our own flights on DL...seems to be no problem for us.

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Do multi-hour-long queues for security count as disruptions?

Ashland probably didn't see the news about Amsterdam. I think some of tbe problem was a worker slowdown. Also, the usual staff shortage.

8 hours ago, Ashland said:

What disruptions...or is this a HAL thing?

We're cruising out of Amsterdam in July on RCI Jewel and booked our own flights on DL...seems to be no problem for us.

Definitely not a HAL thing. My colleague had a hell of a time getting out Schipol last week. I also heard that, at one point, KLM was flying planes empty back to Schipol to try to reset their issues a bit. So, for example, KLM would fly their plane full from AMS-MAD, but then flew it empty back from MAD-AMS. 

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

I'm very aware of the long lines and under staff news at AMS. I've booked a late afternoon flight out of AMS. because of this, unlike those booking early flights. Congestion at airports isn't something new to us especially in today's world.

The OP seemed to be concerned about HAL because they booked with the cruiseline...and the reason for my comment.

Thanks for taking the time to note my post history where my concern is about the post cruise testing and timing being allowed for that.

Edited by Ashland

The issue is with the airport.   The request is to reduce flights and or move flights to nearby airports. I was asking how HAL would handle the issue  for the flights.  I would definitely google Schiavone flight delays.

Schiavone?

As for how HAL would "handle this"....who knows other than HAL?  Are you talking about delays in ground processing of passengers, schedule changes, connection issues?

One of the joys of buying your air through the cruiseline.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mjdenn said:

The issue is with the airport.   The request is to reduce flights and or move flights to nearby airports. I was asking how HAL would handle the issue  for the flights.  I would definitely google Schiavone flight delays.

Thanks for clarifying you're concern with HAL...and best of luck dealing with changes they make for your booked flights with them.

Landed in Amsterdam about 3 weeks ago and to wait 2-1/2 hours to get our bags.  But the worst of it was at the lost luggage counter.  For some reason , an American flight from Dallas didn’t put on bags and there were literally about 75 to 100 people waiting in line to fill out lost luggage claims and there was one, yes, one agent working the lost claim counter.  It had to take them hours to fill out the form and I would have been a crazy person had I had to wait in that line!

9 hours ago, alidor said:

But the worst of it was at the lost luggage counter.  For some reason , an American flight from Dallas didn’t put on bags and there were literally about 75 to 100 people waiting in line to fill out lost luggage claims and there was one, yes, one agent working the lost claim counter.  It had to take them hours to fill out the form

I wonder if this is SOP for Amsterdam.  Flying from ATL to AMS on KLM, we had a luggage problem and the line was long.  I not 100% sure, but, I think there was only staff member at that counter.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder if this is SOP for Amsterdam.  Flying from ATL to AMS on KLM, we had a luggage problem and the line was long.  I not 100% sure, but, I think there was only staff member at that counter.  

In general, airlines (or handling agents) aren't set up to deal with mass luggage mishandling. The baggage service desks are resourced to deal with the 0.5-1% of passengers who have a missing bag, not hundreds at once.

A mass event happened to me once, but the airline sensibly sent on a list of bags that hadn't made it on to the flight. I kept my ears open when I could sense that something had gone badly wrong, so I was able to get my forwarding details on to the list early, and then got out of there before the mess started.

• Like 1