Alaska Air

doktor71

We did. Fortunately for us, our flights were on time, and not cancelled like some flights have been, on all lines.

Ours were direct flights, so there really weren’t any issues. I will say that we were pretty impressed with the meals you can buy ahead for longer flights. We would buy those again. 🙂

7 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

We did. Fortunately for us, our flights were on time, and not cancelled like some flights have been, on all lines.

Ours were direct flights, so there really weren’t any issues. I will say that we were pretty impressed with the meals you can buy ahead for longer flights. We would buy those again. 🙂

Thanks!  It is too early for us to book, but I like there departure and arrival hours.  We will travel Orlando this at present there are no nonstops.

• Like 1

Alaska Air is Seattle's hometown airline, so I've taken them quite a bit. Out of my domestic options, I would rank Delta top and Alaska number two. Alaska still has a bit of "whimsy" of customer service (back in 2018 I remember they would make balloon animals for kids), but after joining the OneWorld alliance, it feels a bit more like American Airlines these days.  

There's no seatback entertainment, it's a bring your own with Wifi that's free to stream their content. The seats are a bit tight (but who's isn't these days in economy?), so I think their premium economy would be worth it for that long of a flight.  The flight attendants are always friendly, and preorder the cheese and fruit tray - it's one of my favorite things about flying them! 

Since we live in Alaska we fly Alaska Air very frequently.  Since 2012 we have always been in the first class cabin so I have no observations regarding their premium economy or economy seats.  But we love the fact that we can pre-order meals.  In fact we pre-ordered today for a flight on Thursday -- and ordered the cheese and fruit platter.

But our OP should research the Alaska Air credit card.  Read the information regarding their companion fare closely.

We have always loved Alaska for domestic travel, but it has been a while. I know they are having troubles, but which airline is not? I DO know we will NEVER willingly take American Airlines again.

15 hours ago, nini said:

We have always loved Alaska for domestic travel, but it has been a while. I know they are having troubles, but which airline is not? I DO know we will NEVER willingly take American Airlines again.

Can you comment on AA?  We have now been in the air sent prior to pandemic!

4 hours ago, doktor71 said:

Can you comment on AA?  We have now been in the air sent prior to pandemic!

We have not flown on American Airlines for domestic flights, only international. Our first trip to Europe in October 2018, we were on British Airways from Seatac to London, then took American from London to Rome. BA was fantastic and we were in economy- as much as and whatever you wanted to drink, eat; even though the seats were a bit uncomfortable but not horrid. Our connecting flight from London to Rome was of course shorter, close to 3 hours on American. It had been a long day, we were tired and thirsty. I asked for some water (we were in economy), and the flight attendant about bit my head off and said that would $5.00 due to no beverages permitted in our "class". So, we were accustomed to Alaska Air and this was quite a shock to experience this attitude. She snapped and said, "If I have time, I will bring you water in a cup". Apparently she did have time, about 45 minutes later. Of course, I would not drink it.

Just this past May, due to the huge price increase in flights, we stuck with American to London. We flew Seattle to DFW and then DFW to London (the same on the return flights).

We checked in about 3.50 hours ahead or our flight at SEA. We had already received notifications of our flight from SEA to DFW arriving very late, so we were put on standby for the next flight so we would be able to make our connecting flight from DFW to London. Of course, we sincerely hoped that our check on bag would make it too, but what if we did not get on? Well, we did get on the stand by flight and of course did not have our original reserved seats in what they called Premium Economy. I sat in the VERY BACK row, squished between two other people. My husband sat a few rows ahead of me, also in the middle. We were tossed a bag of something and something to drink.

Phew, we did make our connection in DFW to London and truly enjoyed our Premium Economy seats. Our plane arrived in a timely manner. We were not impressed by the service or food and so wished we had originally booked British Airways.

On our flights home, hubby became ill on the flight from DFW to SEA. I am sure it was food poisoning, as it was swift and fairly short lived. I did not become ill, but I did not eat what he ate on the London stretch.

56 minutes ago, nini said:

British Airways from Seatac to London, then took American from London to Rome. BA was fantastic and we were in economy- as much as and whatever you wanted to drink, eat; even though the seats were a bit uncomfortable but not horrid. Our connecting flight from London to Rome was of course shorter, close to 3 hours on American. It had been a long day, we were tired and thirsty. I asked for some water (we were in economy), and the flight attendant about bit my head off and said that would $5.00 due to no beverages permitted in our "class". So, we were accustomed to Alaska Air and this was quite a shock to experience this attitude. She snapped and said, "If I have time, I will bring you water in a cup". Apparently she did have time, about 45 minutes later. Of course, I would not drink it.

American doesn't fly from London to Rome.

32 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

American doesn't fly from London to Rome.

Geez... it was long ago and of course, it would not have been American! Thanks for the catch. Whoever it was, was as I stated; rude and apalling.

However, the remaining account of our May flights are totally accurate.

So....rude service on BA from LHR to FCO.  But the rest of the description is BA is great.  Non-sequitor.

As for being in the back row with AA.....you got on the flight that allowed you to make your connection at DFW.  Question:  would have preferred to have your original seat on your original flight and then missed the onward connection?  Guess that AA was damned if they put you on the earlier flight and would be damned if they got you to DFW too late to catch the connect.

And just assuming that other airlines would have service like AS is a bit simplistic, eh?

On 6/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, DonnaK said:

According to their website, they require a negative COVID test to travel domestically - is this current and accurate???  

Please provide a link.

This has never been an Alaska Airlines policy. I've been flying AS for 25 years now. Even flew with them during the pandemic.