Will pre cruise testing end on Azamara soon?

uktog

Just now, uktog said:

Thanks for the update.  I suppose you have a chance just as restrictions were introduced overnight, relaxation could also be very quick as and when it is sanctioned

Very true!   Still a fluid situation and will probably continue to be for some time to come. 

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Looks like requirements aren’t beIng lifted anytime soon. I received an email from Azamara yesterday advising the following for our August 6th cruise:

Azamara Testing Requirements

• To strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation. The COVID-19 test can either be:
    • PCR: Test date no older than three days prior to embarkation; OR
    • Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation
  • For Guests that cannot present a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation testing is available in the terminal or on the boarding deck for $59 USD.

One change is that there's no longer any mention of at-home or self-testing kits not being accepted, or results needing to be from a test laboratory or licensed testing site.

• Like 1

As usual, a discrepancy in communications on the Azamara website!

Under their protocols, which recognises that testing is no longer required to enter most countries there are the usual FAQs and surprise surprise the answer to the question what health screening  measures are taken in the terminal on boarding day the answer is.....

Screening begins with a request to present proof of vaccination, visual check, and health questionnaire. If you show signs of a fever, cough, or fatigue, you’ll be directed to a secondary screening. All guests will be required to present a negative SARS-CoV-2 test prior to boarding. At-home and/or self-testing kits are not accepted. The test results must be from a testing laboratory or a licensed testing site. The COVID-19 test can either be:

PCR: Test date no older than 3 days prior to embarkation; OR 
Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation

So we are no clearer for July

15 hours ago, uktog said:

As usual, a discrepancy in communications on the Azamara website!

Under their protocols, which recognises that testing is no longer required to enter most countries there are the usual FAQs and surprise surprise the answer to the question what health screening  measures are taken in the terminal on boarding day the answer is.....

Screening begins with a request to present proof of vaccination, visual check, and health questionnaire. If you show signs of a fever, cough, or fatigue, you’ll be directed to a secondary screening. All guests will be required to present a negative SARS-CoV-2 test prior to boarding. At-home and/or self-testing kits are not accepted. The test results must be from a testing laboratory or a licensed testing site. The COVID-19 test can either be:

PCR: Test date no older than 3 days prior to embarkation; OR 
Antigen: Test date must be within one day of embarkation

So we are no clearer for July

If you are doing an Emed  test for boarding in Athens they seem to like showing them the documented letter from Eemed and Navica on your phone. A friend  Printed it out and they rejected her and made her get a Covid test and then tried to tell us that we should not have been approved. I showed them the documentation from Navica and they seemed to like that better. Obviously all of this is hit or miss and company that is taking care of the Shoreside check in process is getting $59 per test so…

Edited by yogagal47
Spelling
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

. Obviously all of this is hit or miss and company that is taking care of the Shoreside check in process is getting $59 per test so…

Given in Athens, testing is widely available for between €5 and €10, I think it's safe to say who gets the bulk of that $59..... For a test that is stated as an EU requirement, but seemingly established now is actually an Azamara requirement. (Unless Viking have some sort of dispensation, which I very much doubt.)

Be interesting to know what the testing regime is for everywhere outside the EU in respect of cruise departures.

I can just say that as last week, simply showing a saved confirmation of a negative proctored eMed test from my phone was easily accepted for my family of three. I simply showed the results from my phone and we passed right through. 

Not sure why there continues to be a discussion….the next best thing will be when they drop the requirement all together, which I suspect will be imminent.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Not sure why there continues to be a discussion….the next best thing will be when they drop the requirement all together, which I suspect will be imminent.

There continues to be discussions because there are inconsistencies at the point of boarding both between ports and at the same port with different agents interpreting things differently.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, uktog said:

There continues to be discussions because there are inconsistencies at the point of boarding both between ports and at the same port with different agents interpreting things differently.

I am seeing mainly people speculating, or going on what they have been told. Then complaining about the conflicting feedback in this thread. Were you denied due to a proctored eMed test in within the last 2-weeks? Were you required to pay $59 after denial? 

I only share based on actual experience, I didn’t see or hear of any complaints about testing on our Spain intensive cruise.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mdpa said:

I am seeing mainly people speculating, or going on what they have been told. Then complaining about the conflicting feedback in this thread. Were you denied due to a proctored eMed test in within the last 2-weeks? Were you required to pay $59 after denial? 

I only share based on actual experience, I didn’t see or hear of any complaints about testing on our Spain intensive cruise.

`no but someone else was and has reported it as a proctored Emend test was not accepted (see post 54)  It is good to hear there were no problems on your cruise.  There were on others and that is why discussion and sharing of information continues and rightly so.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, uktog said:

`no but someone else was and has reported it as a proctored Emend test was not accepted (see post 54)  It is good to hear there were no problems on your cruise.  There were on others and that is why discussion and sharing of information continues and rightly so.  

There seems to be a difference between EMed test results shown on a phone (acceptable) and results on a piece of paper (not acceptable).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

There seems to be a difference between EMed test results shown on a phone (acceptable) and results on a piece of paper (not acceptable).

I think having the QR code (even if the checker doesn't actually call up the results on their own side) seems to make things go easier.  

186 passengers on board, service was excellent.

Most persons wearing masks, I did overhear when disembarking that people were positive in the testing tent. Also Athens port had Covid vehicles waiting? Didn’t want to go near those. 

21 days, B2B, It was perfect.

Edited by Nellypops
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 6/14/2022 at 12:59 AM, Twiga said:

I agree!  Azamara should stop the preboarding testing requirement for all cruises.  They can easily do so for non-U.S. cruises since those cruises are not subject to the CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. Waters,  assuming that Azamara opted in to that program.

I do not disagree with you but Azamara porting in other countries would be subject to the rules of that country not just the CDC.

• Like 2

OK I'm missing something - where do I find the information about boarding.  I understand that things change frequently but where do I find it ??? I have looked on the Azamara webpage and the latest information there states.....

We board in Italy ? or not if you follow this information 

1. Regardless of nationality, boarding will be denied to: 
  2. Any person who has traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, or South Korea 15 days prior to embarkation.
  3. Any person who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, or South Korea. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

9 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

OK I'm missing something - where do I find the information about boarding.  I understand that things change frequently but where do I find it ??? I have looked on the Azamara webpage and the latest information there states.....

We are boarding in Ravenna on October 17, 2022.  Yesterday I received an email from Azamara (through my travel agent) about covid testing requirements for boarding and then masking onboard.  If you are leaving after us, perhaps you will get a similar email.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

We board in Italy ? or not if you follow this information 

1. Regardless of nationality, boarding will be denied to: 
  2. Any person who has traveled from, to or through mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, or South Korea 15 days prior to embarkation.
  3. Any person who has come in contact with anyone with 15-day prior travel to mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, Italy, Iran, or South Korea. The CDC characterizes contact with an individual as coming within six feet (2M) of a person.

You have my sympathy in respect of what appears to be a clear and obvious error and the type of thing that  frequently happens on the website.

I suspect anyone from Italy will be less than impressed they allegedly can't travel from home to sail with Azamara.

Do you have a link to where that's shown? I ask as that list of countries really seams to be the countries hit with travel bans in March 2020 at the very beginning of the pandemic.

Edited by les37b

17 minutes ago, les37b said:

You have my sympathy in respect of what appears to be a clear and obvious error and the type of thing that  frequently happens on the website.

Do you have a link to where that's shown? I ask as that list of countries really seams to be the countries hit with travel bans in March 2020 at the very beginning of the pandemic.

From the Azamara website here.... https://www.azamara.com/en-au/discover/what-they-say/azamara-cruise-news/covid-19-health-screening-and-boarding-protocols 

The other "recent articles" on the page are dated 26 May 22, 19 May 22 etc...  This article is  undated.

16 hours ago, mdpa said:

I can just say that as last week, simply showing a saved confirmation of a negative proctored eMed test from my phone was easily accepted for my family of three. I simply showed the results from my phone and we passed right through. 

There continues to be a discussion because what happened to you is not happening  on Azamara cruises departing from Athens. It is extremely upsetting to know that folks like yourself had no problem while in Athens many of us are challenged and questioned and being forced to pay $59 for a test offered by the contracted company in the port and we have clearly complied with the pre-testing rule. I observed that not a single Azamara crew member came ashore to manage the chaos, save for one lone fellow who was upselling Chef‘s table dinners. He had a captive audience as we were in the pre- boarding “sauna “ and a large family group was very interested and signed up for several dinners, only to be told once they were on board that there was no availability. Those of us who are recording our actual experiences Will be discouraged from doing so in future if we are judged and challenged by folks on this board. Just saying…

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

In many cases including the previous requirement upon returning to the United States via air, they stopped excepting the QR code because it was too easy to cheat, but in Athens it seems they like to see the QR code as to them it seems very official. Still there is a letter that they email you that is signed by a doctor that is quite detailed about the date time status of the test. I will show that also just on your phone and not on a paper.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Janet&Carl said:

From the Azamara website here.... https://www.azamara.com/en-au/discover/what-they-say/azamara-cruise-news/covid-19-health-screening-and-boarding-protocols 

The other "recent articles" on the page are dated 26 May 22, 19 May 22 etc...  This article is  undated.

It's definitely a regurgitated mistake.

It says you don't need a test (only temperature taken), references RCL and further down also states:

Secondary health screening parameters will include the countries of France, Germany, Spain and Thailand for travel or contact occurring 20-days prior to embarkation.

Quite embarrassing really.

Hopefully they will update their error soon.

On the UK version, it still states home testing is not acceptable, though someone thinks there is no conflicting information on their website.

IMG_20220619_075524.thumb.jpg.2ca9061bf4814b94550ccb4caa3ae55e.jpg

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

There continues to be a discussion because what happened to you is not happening  on Azamara cruises departing from Athens. It is extremely upsetting to know that folks like yourself had no problem while in Athens many of us are challenged and questioned and being forced to pay $59 for a test offered by the contracted company in the port and we have clearly complied with the pre-testing rule. I observed that not a single Azamara crew member came ashore to manage the chaos, save for one lone fellow who was upselling Chef‘s table dinners. He had a captive audience as we were in the pre- boarding “sauna “ and a large family group was very interested and signed up for several dinners, only to be told once they were on board that there was no availability. Those of us who are recording our actual experiences Will be discouraged from doing so in future if we are judged and challenged by folks on this board. Just saying…

Some people have tinted spectacles, carry pom poms and pour scorn on anything negative.

My boarding experience was similar to yours, though not Athens and our 2 day old (expensive) PCR acceptive - thankfully.

Luckily things generally improved and overall enjoyed Azamara. My experience this time would probably help me going forward should I decide to rebook and avoid many of my niggle list. At this time I've no plans too as we are all cruised out with over 60 nights booked on 5 Silversea and Viking cruises until April 2024. This booking was a late replacement for a Japan booking that should have sailed at the same time but cancelled.

I've sailed on several lines since cruising restarted and pleased to say, Azamara has not joined the "never again" list currently occupied by Virgin and Carnival (from 2016)

I was apprehensive after seeing some reports regarding service, but pleased to say my sailing with 590ish guests was fine.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, yogagal47 said:

Athens has been a particular problem for tests, and tests that are routinely accepted for boarding elsewhere are often not accepted in Athens, due to timing, type of test, and other factors known only to the Greek authorities.  

We also had a fairly shambolic boarding process in Monte Carlo for the Onward inaugural, with unclear queues, and very slow check-in. That seems random, and not just a speciality of Athens!

• Thanks 2

Shambolic check in is nothing new but covid has added a new dimension, it’s usually ok, but not assured, if ships have a regular home port. Ships using different embarkation ports are at the mercy of the quality of the handling company staff manning check in. Remember some ports do not allow ships staff to be present at check in and this probably has got worse after covid.

Our worst experience was with Princess cruises in Vancouver check in took almost 4 hours with nowhere to sit, it was during a heatwave and if the neighbouring HAL ship hadn’t brought water ashore there would have been nothing to drink. With the now defunct Crystal Cruises in Cape Town we all had to manhandle our cases through the check in area and it was total chaos.

I could go on but some ports like airports are more officious than others, often timing is key and if 100’s of passengers turn up at the same time very few ports can cope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 6/16/2022 at 7:20 PM, uktog said:

Hope you are OK.  I think we are in the same boat (pardon the pun) in Dublin.  Just concerned we pick up positive there but its an easy flight home

We are on the same cruise as well, assuming we are taking about the Norway cruise. I have to say that it is stressful to face the prospect of not being able to board the ship and having our travel plans turned upside down. We are flying from Paris on 24 July, so will have to take a rapid antigen test at Charles de Gaulle on the morning of our booked flight to Dublin.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 8:38 AM, DaveA said:

One change is that there's no longer any mention of at-home or self-testing kits not being accepted, or results needing to be from a test laboratory or licensed testing site.

Is there more to this letter?  I am looking for an update if you test positive after recovering from Covid and provide a certificate of recovery.  I just got off the phone with AzAmara and they are saying they don’t accept the letter.  I read on a previous post they do.  Wondering if they updated their policy and some CSRs are not aware.