Chania, Crete - tender drop off point?

kent4489

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I've been to Chania quite a few times on Azamara. It's one of my favourites, partly because it's so handy and easy to walk and very pretty. Easy to do on your own. A couple of photos. One from the ship with the tender boats on their way and one from the shore. 

Phil 

7835F3FD-C918-4C4E-9105-501C674D9CC9.jpeg

C24787EF-9C13-476F-8CB2-A5013D37DF20.jpeg

Phil

is there a nice beach nearby after you finish exploring a bit on your own?

There are several nice beaches. We tendered into the Old Venetian port and took a bus to Golden Beach which is west of the port. This is a more developed beach. We then walked to Yanni Beach and Agii Apostili beach which were lovely. It was only a kilometer from Golden to Agii Apostoli. We took the bus back to the port.

Edited by TERRIER1
  • Like 4

I have also visited Chania several times with Azamara.

We have tendered outside the narrow passage in to the dock and on occasion have been redirected to Souda Bay, when weather conditions made tendering through the narrow opening potentially dangerous. From Souda Bay regular shuttles were provided to Chania. An interesting place with many areas of interest if one cares to explore.

Edited by Baynanno1

On 6/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, TERRIER1 said:

There are several nice beaches. We tendered into the Old Venetian port and took a bus to Golden Beach which is west of the port. This is a more developed beach. We then walked to Yanni Beach and Agii Apostili beach which were lovely. It was only a kilometer from Golden to Agii Apostoli. We took the bus back to the port.

Thanks for this info!

1 hour ago, Desert Cruisers said:

The itinerary shows that we will be tendering into Chania.  I've read that there are two docks - Venetian Harbor and Port of Souda.  Does anyone know which tender dock is typically used by Azamara?

The entry into Chania is fairly narrow.

If there is too much swell at Chania, the ship will divert to Souda Bay and a shuttle transfer

will be provided - at least that's what has happened in the past.

There is another recent thread on the subject, perhaps the two could be combined?

Edited by Baynanno1

We've sailed twice to Chania with Azamara, docking once at Souda and once tendering in to the old
Venetian port.  The shuttle from Souda was laid on by Azamara, and featured a lively commentary from the local driver.  When we arrived by tender, to be able to step right into the bustle of this ancient town was magical.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Desert Cruisers said:

The itinerary shows that we will be tendering into Chania.  I've read that there are two docks - Venetian Harbor and Port of Souda.  Does anyone know which tender dock is typically used by Azamara?

I've been to Chania a few times on Azamara and to Souda once when we weren't able to tender for some reason. If it's Souda then that is what the itinerary will say (it's where the larger ships have to go). Otherwise you will tender just outside the port of Chania.

It really is one of my favourite ports to visit. There is a nice museum in town and you can walk the old fort and get some good photos. There are plenty of places to eat and drink along the front. Make sure to have a Cretan cheese pie (I guess we would call it a pasty). They're very good. 

Phil 

• Like 2