Help: canceled flights means I might miss cruise

aloha_DC

Hi. I was supposed to fly to Boston tonight to get on the Pearl leaving tomorrow, but my flight tonight was canceled (I did not book my flights thru NCL).

1. How fast could I likely get from Boston airport to the cruise terminal? (My new flight gets in at 11:30am, *if* it leaves on time and departure time is 4:00pm).

2. Has anyone ever missed their departure and met the ship at a port? The NCL rep told me they'd need to get permission from the boat for me to do this and that could take 24 hours. 

3. Any other thoughts or advice?

Your profile says you are from DC.  Get in car and drive to Boston to get to the ship.  

The lesson here is to arrive at the cruise port the day Before your ship is scheduled to depart.  There is added cost to this but added costs are part of cruising.  If the cruise cost X dollars plan on spending about 20% in additional costs to cover all that may be needed.

Edited by WorkNCruise
  • Like 5

Yeah, if you’re asking the question that I think you know the answer to, yes, it’s possible to land in Boston at 11:30 and make the ship on time.  Frankly, it highly likely you will.  I only flew when required for work and remember making many 9:00 am Boston meetings from NYC.  Sorry, it’s been a while so I can’t give time estimates.  But do standard ETAs matter?  I noticed you emphasized “if” plane lands on time, because you know it’s likely that and all those other unexpected variables that would be the reason you might not make it.  

But, man oh man, would I be looking at Amtrak trains tonight, or driving.   I would hate the thought of the things that could go wrong.  But I’m a worrier.  And I hate to fly now, so for me catching the ship at first port is off the table (but it looks like you’d be willing to do that if you had to). 

Edited by RalphWiggum
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, WorkNCruise said:

The lesson here is to arrive at the cruise port the day Before your ship is scheduled to depart. 

To be fair, the OP already knows this lesson as the original flight was for tonight and airline rescheduled it for tomorrow.  Tomorrow flight will likely work, but OP is looking for our thoughts as to whether s/he should chance it.  

Edited by RalphWiggum
  • Like 5

59 minutes ago, RalphWiggum said:

To be fair, the OP already knows this lesson as the original flight was for tonight and airline rescheduled it for tomorrow.  Tomorrow flight will likely work, but OP is looking for our thoughts as to whether s/he should chance it.  

I want aloha to get on that ship and have a great vacation.  A typical NCL cruise in inside-balcony costs between $2500-$3500 when all costs are totaled up.  My advice to book air travel to arrive a day ahead time for a cruise is directed at all who read it and not just aloha.  I know I wouldn't drop 3K in a slot machine and hope it comes up 7's and neither should anyone else planning international travel using multiple vendors to get from their home and back to their home.

Edited by WorkNCruise

Thanks all! It's looking worse now but I have travel insurance. Trains were sold out too and so were rental cars. 

I thought I planned enough ahead with coming in the night before and about 3 flights away from the last flight of the night yesterday but I'm not sure what I could have done about this level of cancelations. I think ONE of the TEN afternoon/ evening flights to Boston from DC yesterday made it. (All airlines).

Edited by aloha_DC

It sounds like you did what you were supposed to but stuff happens.  

Have you looked at buses?  I did a two hour Greyhound bus trip once and, um, never again.  But I know there are some upscale (but not too expensive) buses that run from NYC to DC and NYC to Boston.  Perhaps there are similar services from BOS to DC.   

That said, I think you’ll be fine with your flight tomorrow with the big IF being the airline.    

Good luck.  

4 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

Hi. I was supposed to fly to Boston tonight to get on the Pearl leaving tomorrow, but my flight tonight was canceled (I did not book my flights thru NCL).

1. How fast could I likely get from Boston airport to the cruise terminal? (My new flight gets in at 11:30am, *if* it leaves on time and departure time is 4:00pm).

2. Has anyone ever missed their departure and met the ship at a port? The NCL rep told me they'd need to get permission from the boat for me to do this and that could take 24 hours. 

Catch the amtrak train east coast line is pretty fast isn't it?

5 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

IF you get right out of Logan, you could make it. It’s tight but doable! How are you planning to get to the terminal? Traffic has been a beaSt…

2 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

Thanks all! It's looking worse now but I have travel insurance. Trains were sold out too and so were rental cars. 

I thought I planned enough ahead with coming in the night before and about 3 flights away from the last flight of the night yesterday but I'm not sure what I could have done about this level of cancelations. I think ONE of the TEN afternoon/ evening flights to Boston from DC yesterday made it. (All airlines).

Yea, BOS was a hot mess. We made it out but we’re delayed enough that we missed our Paris connection to Athens. 
BOS schedules are  still up in the air regrading timeliness because of how bad things were overnight with delays/cancellations. 
mad I mentioned, I believe you can make it-with no issues with flight and if you get speedy transport. Good luck!!

5 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

Amtrak.  But you've pretty much missed that opportunity at this point (there's a 7:05 that arrives 3:18 but that's pushing it and the only option that could remotely work.)

If you know your flight will get out, do that.  Otherwise, start driving.  That will be exhausting but may be your only other option.

I know it's 20:20 hindsight but I always come in the day before unless I'm leaving from NY.  An early Amtrak gets me to Manhattan with ample time and with other options if my train is delayed/cancelled.  Driving would be my emergency fallback (convenient but parking is not inexpensive.)

Edited by phillygwm

2 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

Just read down to this post.  Try an off-airport car rental site.  Enterprise and Hertz would be a short drive from wherever you are.  

Also, if you can't fly into Boston, is there service to Providence or Manchester?  Both are reasonably close.  

• Like 1

Thanks all. More background: my flight was supposed to leave at 5:40pm. They kept pushing it farther and farther back until 11pm we actually got on a plane. Sat there for 45 minutes and then they came to tell us, we didn't have a pilot. So it was nearly midnight before I learned my flight was canceled and that's why options like train/ bus/ drive weren't viable at that point. 

Will go to airport for new flight time and see what happens but my hopes are pretty low at this point, given the hangover Boston seems to have today. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aloha_DC said:

Taxi or Uber is 15-30 minutes depending on traffic.  I’d take taxi though as you can grab one outside baggage claim, Uber pickup is a ten minute walk.  Just tell the taxi driver your situation, ask him to jump on it, have cash in your hands so he/she can see it.  Boston taxi drivers are crazy, and in your situation it may pay off.  If your plane lands on time a taxi driver will get you to the ship.  Good luck and let us know that you made it!!  

1 hour ago, aloha_DC said:

Thanks all. More background: my flight was supposed to leave at 5:40pm. They kept pushing it farther and farther back until 11pm we actually got on a plane. Sat there for 45 minutes and then they came to tell us, we didn't have a pilot. So it was nearly midnight before I learned my flight was canceled and that's why options like train/ bus/ drive weren't viable at that point. 

Will go to airport for new flight time and see what happens but my hopes are pretty low at this point, given the hangover Boston seems to have today. 

Come back and let us know if you make it.  Air travel is a huge crapshoot right now.  So sorry you are dealing with all this stress.  Hope you make your cruise!  You are going to need it after the past 24 hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aloha_DC said:

We’re all rooting for you and hope you make it!  Please let us know. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mertziek said:

Come back and let us know if you make it.  Air travel is a huge crapshoot right now.  So sorry you are dealing with all this stress.  Hope you make your cruise!  You are going to need it after the past 24 hours.

Yes, Boston had 500+ flights canceled between Wednesday and Thursday due to weather, not our local weather though as it’s been beautiful here, rather weather from where flights are originating.  Sure hope OP makes it!

30 minutes ago, mertziek said:

Yes, please do check back!  Good luck - hope you make it!

We're from Long Island - leaving on the Pearl from Boston - we're still leaving a day early (driving of course) and staying in a hotel in RI (hotels in Boston area are $$$)

I would look at traffic when you get in and if it is bad, take the silver line.  The Silver Line way stop is nearby the cruise terminal.  It is also free from Logan Airport.   You literally walk outside your terminal and it will stop and pick you up.  

Edited by jamadeliz

I remember getting to the cruise terminal from the airport very quickly once we received our baggage of course. It was by public transportation. IIRC, on the forum in cc for ports I went to the one that included Boston and was given very good directions on how to do it.

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I remember getting to the cruise terminal from the airport very quickly once we received our baggage of course. It was by public transportation. IIRC, on the forum in cc for ports I went to the one that included Boston and was given very good directions on how to do it.

This is the relevant forum:

East Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Community