Queen Victoria Assisting Sail Boat in Distress

safarigal

Both people on board were safely transferred to a French helicopter, and as the sailboat was already taking water, I assume that it will be sinking soon. We are underway again, and heading for Southampton.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, safarigal said:

We are currently stopped in very windy weather to assist a sail boat in distress. I am sure they are really glad that we are here, it looks nasty out there!

Isn't the captain putting the ship, the crew and even the future of cruise industry in danger by coming to rescue a ship which could be anyone. What if they are terrorists and it is some kind of trap? That is a genuine question to which I would like a response not a trolling post.

12 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Isn't the captain putting the ship, the crew and even the future of cruise industry in danger by coming to rescue a ship which could be anyone. What if they are terrorists and it is some kind of trap? That is a genuine question to which I would like a response not a trolling post.

Your point is well taken, but I think that under maritime law we are obliged to provide assistance to ships who put out a mayday call, so I am not sure the captain really has a choice.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

It a universal requirement for mariners to go to the help of those in distress. Risking it being a trap is presumably a minor concern compared with leaving people to drown.

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

First rule of the sea which I have answered numerous times in a previous life almost certainly a May day  relay from Brest Le Conquet MRCC & QV almost certainly tasked by French CG to attend or she was nearby. Does that assuage your concerns?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, safarigal said:

Your point is well taken, but I think that under maritime law we are obliged to provide assistance to ships who put out a mayday call, so I am not sure the captain really has a choice.

He had no choice if nearby and would not have thought twice it's what all mariners expect

34 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I would think the master and security staff assess the risk, I wouldn't think many ships would stop for a pirate boat off the coast of Somalia for example.

Even then if the occupants were drowning...?

Think of the effect on the RN's reputation of their failure to pick up most of the Bismarck crew, even though they thought they were in danger of themselves being targeted.

56 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Did you consider the consequences of not responding? What if all hands had perished? I can envisage the leads, "Cunard cruise ship let's two die!", "Cruise ship ignores SOS as sailing boat sinks!" ...

Edited by broberts

57 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

So are you saying that the captain of the RMS Carpathia should have ignored the distress signal from the Titanic in case it was a trap?

1 minute ago, omah1975 said:

So are you saying that the captain of the RMS Carpathia should have ignored the distress signal from the Titanic in case it was a trap?

White Star of course behaved with great vulgarity by offering Cunard money for the rescue. Rescues are done out of humanity not for emoluments.

11 hours ago, broberts said:

Did you consider the consequences of not responding? What if all hands had perished? I can envisage the leads, "Cunard cruise ship let's two die!", "Cruise ship ignores SOS as sailing boat sinks!" ...

Also possible prosecution 

18 hours ago, showingdiva said:

Second time in as many weeks Queen Victoria has gone to the rescue.   At the end of April, whilst on the way to Belfast for refit, she came to the aid of the P&O Ferries ship European Causeway, which suffered temporary engine failure.

It's a good job she did as that could have ended up with mass fatalities if it had been something worse than a temporary engine failure.

On 6/18/2022 at 7:18 PM, broberts said:

And what if it had been members of the wagner group in the first attack in Europe or ISIS and it was a trap there was 8 of them onboard 7 with RPG's who once the ship stops open fire at the stationary target destroying the bridge first disabling the ship and killing the bridge crew then lifeboats. Then ramming the ship with their ship full of explosives potentially sinking it? Or they overwhelm QV rescue team board the ship take the entire ship hostage and making demands against Ukraine war?

Either way lets not make it easy from them?

Edited by ace2542

On 6/18/2022 at 7:18 PM, broberts said:

"Cunard ship sank by terrorists thousands dead" "Cunard line near bankrupt after terror strike!" "CLIA calls for cruise ship be armed with anti ship missles after terror strike" - a thing which would never be allowed -.  And last but not least. "SAS commander vows to slaughter Wagner Group killers as QV hostage siege continues" How about those headlines.

Edited by ace2542