cape Liberty Parking

Giorgi-one

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

There's no reason for NCL to cruise from Cape Liberty.  They have primary  control of The Manhattan Cruise Terminal, which has the capacity to handle more than one ship per day if needed...in theory up to four ships per day could sail from Manhattan while Cape Liberty only has a single berth. 

HAL used to do some cruises seasonally from Manhattan but only rarely does so today. They apparently don't think it's a good market for them. 

Disney already uses Manhattan seasonally, as does Carnival. 

Again, Cape Liberty would need another berth before any other cruise lines could consider using it as a homeport. 

Yes I am quite aware of all the ships that go in and out of NYC BUT going in and out of NYC is a PITA. 

I vote for expansion of Port Liberty and having ships 4 days a week and more parking.  Better and easier for folks driving up from the south or the mid west.  

2 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yes I am quite aware of all the ships that go in and out of NYC BUT going in and out of NYC is a PITA. 

I vote for expansion of Port Liberty and having ships 4 days a week and more parking.  Better and easier for folks driving up from the south or the mid west.  

I live south and west of Cape Liberty and NYC and it takes me all of about 20 minutes more to drive to Manhattan than to Cape Liberty.  And sometimes the traffic jam getting into Cape Liberty is worse than it is getting into the Manhattan parking, which can make it a longer trip overall than driving to Manhattan.  

Further mass transit is much better to Manhattan and from a marketplace perspective I believe the population north and east of Manhattan is  greater than that south and west so it makes more sense to favor that market. 

So while it would suit  you it probably doesn't make that much sense for the cruise lines. When Carnival Corp. needed more docking capacity in NY for Cunard and Princess they went to Brooklyn,  not Bayonne. 

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

There's no reason for NCL to cruise from Cape Liberty.  They have primary  control of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, which has the capacity to handle more than one ship per day if needed...in theory up to four ships per day could sail from Manhattan while Cape Liberty only has a single berth. 

HAL used to do some cruises seasonally from Manhattan but only rarely does so today. They apparently don't think it's a good market for them. 

Disney already uses Manhattan seasonally, as does Carnival. 

Again, Cape Liberty would need another berth before any other cruise lines could consider using it as a homeport. 

I was just going to say the same thing you said.  Currently no room for another berth.  The only way to get more ships to use CL would be to run them on weekdays.  The roads in and out are not set up for two ships per day.  There also is a very underutilized cruise ship terminal in Brooklyn.  I very rarely see that terminal being used.  

2 hours ago, meadowlander said:

Liberty sailed out of Bayonne in 2015, glad to see it is returning.

yes she is swapping out with ADV in Galveston.  Infact 2023 will be interesting in that a vision class ship is going to Alaska.

6 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I live south and west of Cape Liberty and NYC and it takes me all of about 20 minutes more to drive to Manhattan than to Cape Liberty.  And sometimes the traffic jam getting into Cape Liberty is worse than it is getting into the Manhattan parking, which can make it a longer trip overall than driving to Manhattan.  

Further mass transit is much better to Manhattan and from a marketplace perspective I believe the population north and east of Manhattan is  greater than that south and west so it makes more sense to favor that market. 

sorry but I stand by my original thought, if I taking the Summit or Adventure, I do not want to have to park in the open air I want the garage.  But nope if is only for the Oasis class ships and I do not think that is fair.  Another garage would be great and ships can come and go each day if they choose.

A lot of traffic would be great for Canada, and over to Greenland and Iceland as well.

Cape Liberty needs to be utilized more during May - Oct and do more northern routes.

17 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I live in NJ, prefer Manhattan.

20 hours ago, njhorseman said:

So while it would suit  you it probably doesn't make that much sense for the cruise lines. When Carnival Corp. needed more docking capacity in NY for Cunard and Princess they went to Brooklyn,  not Bayonne. 

I live in NJ and don't mind the Manhattan port (Oceania also docks in Manhattan), I wish the parking rate was a bit lower.

Brooklyn however is a real pain.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I do not want to have to park in the open air I want the garage.  But nope if is only for the Oasis class ships and I do not think that is fair. 

That statement, your assumption, is false. The parking garage is not reserved only for Oasis sailings. I was on Adventure in late May, a mid week sailing. Oasis & Summit had departed days earlier. I was directed to park in the garage. Earlier arriving cruisers were directed to surface lots, those of us who arrived after noon parked in the garage and there will some open parking spaces on the top level when the ship departed.

We parked at the cruise terminal last Saturday, June 26. Arrived at 10:00 am and parked on the second floor, indoors. Once the covered parking fills, then cars are parked in a lot across the street. 
We found it was very easy to drop off our luggage and then  park.
The return to the dock yesterday was very easy. A porter moved our luggage outside, where I waited for the car. There is an area to load luggage to your car right there. Then it was out the door! 
Very quick! 

ps…there are Kiosks  outside the terminal to pay for parking, speeds the process even more. 

21 hours ago, meadowlander said:

That statement, your assumption, is false. The parking garage is not reserved only for Oasis sailings. I was on Adventure in late May, a mid week sailing. Oasis & Summit had departed days earlier. I was directed to park in the garage. Earlier arriving cruisers were directed to surface lots, those of us who arrived after noon parked in the garage and there will some open parking spaces on the top level when the ship departed.

great to hear this.  I have just heard over various posts that Oasis gets priority and no one but you have said they were lucky enough to get to the parking garage.  I guess the best thing is not arrive too early.

So I will get it a go in mid Sept to see if I am lucky

6 hours ago, Graciesmom2 said:

We parked at the cruise terminal last Saturday, June 26. Arrived at 10:00 am and parked on the second floor, indoors. Once the covered parking fills, then cars are parked in a lot across the

I see by schedule you were on Summit.

So I suppose it all starts with what ships sail in April and then the flow of passengers from each ship and how many fly in and how many drive in.

Sounds like for each ship there is some availability in garage but more so for Oasis class than the others.   Still wish there was a 2nd garage even if only 2 levels.

On 7/2/2022 at 4:36 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

having sailed out of Cape Liberty for the first time last month, i find that Cape Liberty is a bigger PITA. There is no public transportation at that port, it is further away from NYC causing higher pricing for taxi/cab due to out of state pricing. in the morning after getting off the ship, it can be up to a 20-30 minute wait for a uber/lyft

i love the main NYC terminal in Manhattan, so easy to get it by public transportation. lots of taxis in the area, etc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shof515 said:

having sailed out of Cape Liberty for the first time last month, i find that Cape Liberty is a bigger PITA. There is no public transportation at that port, it is further away from NYC causing higher pricing for taxi/cab due to out of state pricing. in the morning after getting off the ship, it can be up to a 20-30 minute wait for a uber/lyft

i love the main NYC terminal in Manhattan, so easy to get it by public transportation. lots of taxis in the area, etc

yea because you already live in NYC

those of us in pa or NJ do not want to go under the river in a tunnel and come out dealing with traffic and the parking at NYC terminal is all rooftop I hear.   

Bayonne does get quite a lot of folks coming up from the south like PA, MD, or OH even.  Some come from NE and just drive into NJ as well.

whatever done arguing over this.  I like Bayonne and I want a 2nd garage.  You just go out of NYC

12 hours ago, shof515 said:

And as someone that lives somewhere other than one of the 5 boroughs, Bayonne is not such an inconvenience.  Could the infrastructure use some upgrades?  Heck yes!  That 2-lane road going out to the terminal could be a bottle-neck, but we don't need to deal with the surface street traffic in NYC.

Don't even get me started on the nightmare that is the Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn!  I've driven someone there once, not sure if I could find again without GPS (which usually isn't a problem for me).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yea because you already live in NYC

those of us in pa or NJ do not want to go under the river in a tunnel and come out dealing with traffic and the parking at NYC terminal is all rooftop I hear.   

Bayonne does get quite a lot of folks coming up from the south like PA, MD, or OH even.  Some come from NE and just drive into NJ as well.

whatever done arguing over this.  I like Bayonne and I want a 2nd garage.  You just go out of NYC

I don’t know why they’d build a second garage when they have ample parking. I don’t need a covered lot, heck we own 4 vehicles and have never had a garage. I doubt most people in NJ even know we have a cruise port.

• Like 1

We drove to Bayonne from West Virginia because we didn’t want the current hassle of flying. We also did not want the hassle of NYC traffic ! Was convenient for us.
Yes, our GPS got us lost on the wrong side of the terminal, but a helpful UBER driver we flagged down got us on the right track. More signage off 440 would be most helpful! 
We will continue to take cruises out of Bayonne until the airlines get their act together, which might be 2050. 

4 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I don’t know why they’d build a second garage when they have ample parking. I don’t need a covered lot, heck we own 4 vehicles and have never had a garage. I doubt most people in NJ even know we have a cruise port.

cars last better when covered from sun and rain.

In fact best to keep in a garage away from critters and bugs too.

I think a lot of RCI and Celebrity fans know about a cruise terminal in NJ. 

You shortchange folks from NJ.

4 hours ago, Graciesmom2 said:

We drove to Bayonne from West Virginia because we didn’t want the current hassle of flying. We also did not want the hassle of NYC traffic ! Was convenient for us.
Yes, our GPS got us lost on the wrong side of the terminal, but a helpful UBER driver we flagged down got us on the right track. More signage off 440 would be most helpful! 
We will continue to take cruises out of Bayonne until the airlines get their act together, which might be 2050. 

well things have changed a bit over the last 3 years and now they have shops and stuff just before turning to go down to the ship.  back in 2016 it was awful getting off turnpike with all the construction area.  There are lots of signs for the cruise terminal now.

besides, before driving anywhere just do a google and zoom in and make note of the names of the road.  I also print out  

Yes agree NYC traffic is bad and I hate tunnels.

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

cars last better when covered from sun and rain.

In fact best to keep in a garage away from critters and bugs too.

I think a lot of RCI and Celebrity fans know about a cruise terminal in NJ. 

You shortchange folks from NJ.

Lol I think a car can last a week in the elements, we drive ours for 20 years.  I’ve lived 20 miles from cape liberty over 50 years, I only know a handful of people who’ve cruised, and fewer who sailed from Bayonne. I honestly didn’t know about it until about 10 years ago. Why would cruise lines build another garage, there wouldn’t be increased revenue?

• Thanks 1

On 7/4/2022 at 7:42 PM, shof515 said:

having sailed out of Cape Liberty for the first time last month, i find that Cape Liberty is a bigger PITA. There is no public transportation at that port,

There is no public transportation to/from the terminal building. Public transportation is available within 3 miles of Cape Liberty via the Hudson Bergen light rail station at 34th Street in Bayonne. Ride service to and from the light rail station to the terminal is necessary.

I would recommend the public transit option for those with backpack or carry on size luggage. Handling more or larger size luggage would make the public transit option challenging.

On 7/5/2022 at 4:54 PM, mjkacmom said:

Lol I think a car can last a week in the elements, we drive ours for 20 years.  I’ve lived 20 miles from cape liberty over 50 years, I only know a handful of people who’ve cruised, and fewer who sailed from Bayonne. I honestly didn’t know about it until about 10 years ago. Why would cruise lines build another garage, there wouldn’t be increased revenue?

my you certainly like to argue.

I have my opinions and yes I am fussy about my car.  Good day. done with you 

10 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

my you certainly like to argue.

I have my opinions and yes I am fussy about my car.  Good day. done with you 

YOU disagreed with everything everyone said.  You opined with rather nonsensical logic.  No sir, we are done with YOU.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, philpcruiser said:

YOU disagreed with everything everyone said.  You opined with rather nonsensical logic.  No sir, we are done with YOU.

me thinks it was the other way around folks disagreed with my wanting another garage at Liberty.

Who would have thought this would have annoyed folks.  oh guess the NY folks who do not like Liberty.

On 7/5/2022 at 7:51 AM, hallux said:

And as someone that lives somewhere other than one of the 5 boroughs, Bayonne is not such an inconvenience.  Could the infrastructure use some upgrades?  Heck yes!  That 2-lane road going out to the terminal could be a bottle-neck, but we don't need to deal with the surface street traffic in NYC.

Don't even get me started on the nightmare that is the Red Hook terminal in Brooklyn!  I've driven someone there once, not sure if I could find again without GPS (which usually isn't a problem for me).

yup agree I will take Bayonne over NYC or Brooklyn any time.  Glad someone else besides me like Bayonne.   Yes the infrastructure could use upgrading and the was my point all along.