Waitlisted for dinner

bh6605

So we're taking the Soltice to Alaska next month. When I made reservations the only seating available was 830. We're waitlisted for select. I'm concerned bc we have an 8 year old who will likely chew my arm off if he has to wait until 830. And we're coming from the east coast so that's like 1130. 

What are the chances 1) we get our waitlist or 2) the day of boarding we go to guest services and they let us switch or 3) we just show up earlier? 

Don't forget 4) Head to the Oceanview Cafe for a snack or 5) Get room service to tide you over.

You won't be able to just show up earlier because the party at the table before you will be eating. You can speak to someone in the MDR on the first afternoon if you haven't made Select by the time you sail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. Yea Oceanview is just fine but not the same experience as the MDR. Even if I get them fed they'll probably be too tired to go to the MDR at 830. Will try for the day of boarding and hope for the best! Thanks all 

When you board the ship head straight to the main dining room - where there will be a supervisor to assist you with your request. The longer you wait to go to the MD to resolve, the longer the line.

The staff work really hard to make your cruise the best possible, so they will likely find a positive resolution to meet your needs.

Kind words, calm demeanor will go a long way when discussing your request. I’ve seen guests get unhinged and yell - which isn’t helpful to anyone.

I bet if you go to the MD letting them know you need to change the timing for dining - they will accommodate. Especially if you let them know to have an 8 year old that needs to eat earlier than 8:30pm (11:30 your home time).

BTW - the crew loves kids!!😀🛳

Edited by bye-seaya
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bh6605 said:

So we're taking the Soltice to Alaska next month. When I made reservations the only seating available was 830. We're waitlisted for select. I'm concerned bc we have an 8 year old who will likely chew my arm off if he has to wait until 830. And we're coming from the east coast so that's like 1130. 

What are the chances 1) we get our waitlist or 2) the day of boarding we go to guest services and they let us switch or 3) we just show up earlier? 

Just show up to the maître d' and explain that you are requesting an earlier time or anytime so your child can be in bed at an appropriate time.

• Like 2

The advice to head to the MDR once onboard is the correct way to handle your change request. There are times when your request cannot be honored the first evening. In that case I suggest you go to the buffet for one evening. It might help if you take your child with you to request the change. The staff can definitely see you would all appreciate Select dining.

You will all be weary that first night and an earlier dinner may just be what you need.

Alaska is awesome and I hope your son loves it too.

Enjoy

Something more you can do is, to periodically contact your point of reservation to ask if anything has become available for SD or first seating if that is preferable to late seating.

Sometimes lines can be long for SD if no reservation has been made in advance, which means you will need to consider arriving at least 15 minutes before you wish to dine if that comes through.

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Like 1

On a previous cruise with Celebrity we wanted early dining, booking quite late, all they could offer beforehand was later dining.  We were put on the waitlist and it cleared about 2-3 weeks before we sailed. 

The main dining room is huge and some people who are assigned early will want late or select, some people will choose never to dine in the main dining room, each night a number will also be eating elsewhere, some people will want to move from their table to another,  and so on - as others have said if it doesn't clear beforehand, go to the MDR once you've boarded and ask if anything can be done - I think it is highly likely  that something will be worked out - assuming everyone else doesn't have the same idea 🙂 

10 hours ago, bh6605 said:

Thanks all. Yea Oceanview is just fine but not the same experience as the MDR. Even if I get them fed they'll probably be too tired to go to the MDR at 830. Will try for the day of boarding and hope for the best! Thanks all 

No one is suggesting eating in the oceanview instead of the MDR, the suggestion is to get the kids an early bite to hold them over until it's time to go to the MDR.  They may be less hungry for MDR dining but it sounds like they are probably too young to distinguish anyway.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cruisegoer said:

No one is suggesting eating in the oceanview instead of the MDR, the suggestion is to get the kids an early bite to hold them over until it's time to go to the MDR.  They may be less hungry for MDR dining but it sounds like they are probably too young to distinguish anyway.

and too young to be expected to sit through parents dinner that starts at 8:30pm. If all I could get was late dining I would be at the buffet every night!