Question on extensions pre-cruise

PNFL

I am scheduled for a Uniworld cruise from Basel to Amsterdam June 2023 and we want to go to Lake Lucerne prior to the cruise.  My question has anyone had experience doing this on their own?  I know I could do it cheaper doing it on our own but the convenience of doing it through Uniworld is also tempting since we would not have to worry about transfers.   So looking for information from anyone who has done this on their own or have done it through the cruise company.  Thanks.

If you fly into Zurich it is very easy to get from the airport to Lucerne; there is a train station right at the airport. Then it is very simple to get from Lucerne to Basel. From there a simple cab ride will get you to the docking location.

There are a number of discussions on Lucerne in this forum. Just search for Lucerne in the River Cruising forum.

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1

Lucerne is easy enough to visit independently. We did that a few years ago with Chris's Audi (European delivery program was the best). Also agree w/ gnome12 that the trains are convenient.

You could still do this trip by car if you want - we did a variation of this before our Uniworld cruise in 2014.

We landed in Zürich the day prior to embarkation and picked up a car at the airport. The next day, we drove to a few attractions in-between Zurich and Basel. Then we dropped the car at the Basel Airport and took Uniworld's transfer to the ship.

You could do the same if you want to drive - pick up in Zürich, drive to Lucerne, end in Basel. Then you might be able to do a few more things in the Lucerne area, like Mt. Titlis. But if you don't want to bother w a car just take the train. Easy, either way. Good to have options. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

If you fly into Zurich it is very easy to get from the airport to Lucerne; there is a train station right at the airport. Then it is very simple to get from Lucerne to Basel. From there a simple cab ride will get you to the docking location.

There are a number of discussions on Lucerne in this forum. Just search for Lucerne in the River Cruising forum.

Gnome is correct, we did the same thing except took a bus in Basel to hotel (low water 2018, the boat was WAAAY up in Koblenz still).  The bus is free if you have a hotel reservation printed out.

Each of the train legs is about an hour, and very easy to work out.  We enjoyed our 2 nights in Lucerne.  With the $ you save, you could stay an extra night.  Cruise lines make quite a bit off the pre and post activities.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We lived in Zurich 5 years ago.  We would take trips on the weekends.  Everyone above is correct, there is a train and buses that can get your to where you need as well as just walking! Lucerne is beautiful and please try to see Mt. Titlis! The gondola ride is amazing!

We just returned from a Uniworld cruise with the Lucerne extension.  Usually we book all extensions on our own, but I have to say this extension was a great deal.  The hotel they choose is the Burgenstock, a large resort complex on a mountain overlooking the lake.  The service, the views and the rooms were wonderful. Uniworld provides the transportation and a tour guide.  We could not have booked this hotel for the price we paid Uniworld.  They made it very seamless.  

• Like 2

I did look at the prices for that hotel and I thought the same thing that the extension through Uniworld would make sense and also less worry about getting to the ship.  Any other tips on this cruise?

The cruise was nice, except that it was a generational cruise, which we knew when we booked it.  It was a sub for a Crystal river cruise and was smack in the middle of all the rest of our reservations, so we had to take the dates that fit. Uniworld usually does not allow passengers under 18, so this exception was truly an adjustment for them.  The focus of the excursions and activities were on keeping 50 kids occupied.  There was little interaction among passengers as there were families of 10 to 12, so they kept to themselves.  They also did not adhere to their policy of "all passengers will be fully vaccinated".  Since there were so many children, they could not be fully vaccinated, especially those under 5.  But that is contrary to their written policies.

The ship is lovely (if you like country French), which I do.   The bathrooms are very small.  You can not pick something up off the floor without opening the door,  It is that tiny.  Service was very good. When we were on the sundeck, a server came around every 15 minutes to offer beverages or snacks.  They did have an odd way of serving dinner.  They have open seating from 7 to 9.  Whether you sat down at 7 or 8:30, everyone in the dining room received their entree at the same time.  So if you sat down on the early side, there was a long wait for your main course.  That was not a big issue for us, but it was challenging for families with young children. 

I made sure our cruise was not a generational cruise when we booked.

Did you have time just cruising down the river? I love the time just sitting up on the deck watching the scenery.  Thanks for the tips.

Thank you.  So looking forward to this cruise.  Now we are talking about do the pre-cruise extension and then staying on day in Amsterdam before flying home. Turning into an expensive trip 🙂

23 hours ago, PNFL said:

Thank you.  So looking forward to this cruise.  Now we are talking about do the pre-cruise extension and then staying on day in Amsterdam before flying home. Turning into an expensive trip 🙂

@PNFLOur theory is as long as you're flying that far, spend a little extra and see a little more. Amsterdam is an amazing place so spend a couple of extra days. Hey, it's only money, right? 😉 You picked an excellent itinerary and Uniworld will take very good care of you. Have a wonderful vacation!!

Paul

We did the post extension cruise with Uniworld ( Lucerne) and I have to say it was wonderful-private car and driver, private guide, topnotch hotel and private car to return us to Zurich airport.  Could not have been better.  Well worth the extra time and money.  The other full two weeks both before and after the cruise, we made all our own arrangements, as is our usual preference, so booking with the cruise line was unusual for us.

We did Zurich to Lucerne via train, then Lucerne to Basel by train. At the time of our trip, we saved a substantial amount doing it ourselves, and we’re able to choose our own hotel and itinerary. There were probably about 20 from our cruise who did the same. You can search my name and trip report if you like.

As to children on Uniworld, in 2018 we had two poorly behaved under 10yr olds. It was not a generational cruise. The year prior, we had a well behaved 12yo and 16yo. There is no under 18 not allowed with Uniworld.

Robin

1 hour ago, acwmom said:

As to children on Uniworld, in 2018 we had two poorly behaved under 10yr olds. It was not a generational cruise. The year prior, we had a well behaved 12yo and 16yo. There is no under 18 not allowed with Uniworld.

Friends of the owners?  [I base this allegation on a report from Silversea of a very badly behaving family that were identified by the crew, who couldn't do anything about them, as friends of the owner.]

23 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Friends of the owners?  [I base this allegation on a report from Silversea of a very badly behaving family that were identified by the crew, who couldn't do anything about them, as friends of the owner.]

One was, but not the other. However, our cruise director said that on the Generations cruises, there were also horribly behaved children and they were told to look the other way (painting the walls and carpet-no parental supervision). In fact, the hotel manager was written up for telling them to stop!!!

3 hours ago, acwmom said:

One was, but not the other. However, our cruise director said that on the Generations cruises, there were also horribly behaved children and they were told to look the other way (painting the walls and carpet-no parental supervision). In fact, the hotel manager was written up for telling them to stop!!!

Very disappointing.  A reason to praise Viking's strict 18 year old minimum on oceans and rivers.

• Like 2

Scenic have and adult accompanied and cabin share under 18 requirement and an under 12 discouraged and at Scenics discretion requirement in their Ts & Cs for the U.K. That being said the youngest I’ve seen and met were a lovely Japanese couple on honeymoon. They were completely embraced by the majority of the passengers we learned so much about Japan and it turned out they had been given a completely wrong impression of river cruising especially the age demographic, evidently they are still in touch with several of our fellow passengers.

Just read your review and it looks like a wonderful river cruise.  The itinerary does not look like it has changed.  Plan to look up the hotel that you stayed in at Lucerne.  Still on the fence whether to just have Uniworld do all the work or doing it on our own.  I know it would be much cheaper but I also like the idea of something taking care of us and getting us where we need to be 😀

You may not find it cheaper to do on your own.  Our extension was $1569 per person.  We had a two night three day stay.  The hotel alone is $1500 per night.  So the cost of the hotel without the tour and transfers is the same as using Uniworlds extension.

4 hours ago, scottjeanne said:

You may not find it cheaper to do on your own.  Our extension was $1569 per person.  We had a two night three day stay.  The hotel alone is $1500 per night.  So the cost of the hotel without the tour and transfers is the same as using Uniworlds extension.

Yes that is what I am finding when searching hotels so I have decided to go through Uniworld.  I like the idea of everything being taken care of as far as transfers and getting me to the ship.

• Like 1