Gift card nightmare

I think NCL has stopped gift cards. If they haven't - fair warning - don't get one. Actually I won one in an NCL sweepstakes in 2019. To make a long story short I am unable to apply any of the money $1000.00 to any cruises. An NCL person told me to send in a certified letter to the company which I did over 2 months ago and no response. I was told to send in a request to NCL and get a case # which I did. It took them exactly 30 days to get back with me. They asked some questions and I responded. When I couldn't find the exact date I received the card they said they could no longer help me. Then I found the date and the original letter for winning the sweepstakes and forwarded that to the agent who had replied to me.  I followed that up with an email asking if they have all the information they need and no response. I don't know what else to do.  I call the number on the card which only gives a balance, no options for talking to anyone, and the money is there.

Very sad business operations with NCL right now. Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, MoCruiseFan said:

HOW OLD IS THE CARD?

Received 2019. Expiration on the card is 2026 I believe. I couldn’t use it during the pandemic obviously. When NCL resumed cruising is when I discovered the problem. That’s how long I’ve been working on it. Yea try to apply it but nothing. Then we take a cruise and I try again. But I’m fed up it with it now. If it doesn’t get resolved there are other options for cruising. 

18 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

How exactly would somebody obtain an NCL gift card?  I've never heard of such a thing.

In looking them up myself I was sent to this page where the suspension of the gift card program is mentioned..

https://www.ncl.com/giftcard

Bottom line - you can't buy one, now.

Edited by hallux

You can get a live person at the gift card number on the back of the card if you use the correct sequence of prompts.  I cannot recall exactly how to do it but I have gotten through in the past.  I THINK you start with the response that you have the card number and then do not enter a car number at all.  Might be wrong though.

BTW your 1000 card is not worth 1000 any more, after a year there is a monthly charge of (3.00 maybe) that reduces the value.

13 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You can get a live person at the gift card number on the back of the card if you use the correct sequence of prompts.  I cannot recall exactly how to do it but I have gotten through in the past.  I THINK you start with the response that you have the card number and then do not enter a car number at all.  Might be wrong though.

BTW your 1000 card is not worth 1000 any more, after a year there is a monthly charge of (3.00 maybe) that reduces the value.

oh its still worth 1000. I also learned that the value doesn't decrease for residents of Florida. Not just NCL cards but any of those kinds of cards. I could be wrong but I read that somewhere

3 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

oh its still worth 1000. I also learned that the value doesn't decrease for residents of Florida. Not just NCL cards but any of those kinds of cards. I could be wrong but I read that somewhere

Actually.... I had a similar experience and I had a complaint filed with the AGs office .

Here is what I found out. I too am a FL resident. The card is actually a discover card and is issued out of one of the states on the eastern seaboard. I don't remember which.

After 12 months they started charging $2.50 a month.

It's been 6 months and no resolve yet.

8 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Actually.... I had a similar experience and I had a complaint filed with the AGs office .

Here is what I found out. I too am a FL resident. The card is actually a discover card and is issued out of one of the states on the eastern seaboard. I don't remember which.

After 12 months they started charging $2.50 a month.

It's been 6 months and no resolve yet.

Im sorry to hear that. So you are also having problems with a NCL gift card. Through all my discussions I did hear it was a discover card. Still when I call and check my balance it says 1000.00.  Well you can inform the AG you know of another person having the same problem. thank you

1 hour ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Im sorry to hear that. So you are also having problems with a NCL gift card. Through all my discussions I did hear it was a discover card. Still when I call and check my balance it says 1000.00.  Well you can inform the AG you know of another person having the same problem. thank you

I was able to use the card, just instead of a $1000, I only was able to get $925 of it.

• Like 1

we used to love gift cards and used to get them for Christmas. NCL had a bank issue the gift card and it always said in fine print the fees after a year. We never waited that long, We got them, We used them as part of payment or add them onboard. We used all of our cards, thankfully.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hallux said:

Here's the Florida statute referenced in regards to the bank automatically debiting the card as a 'fee' after a period of time from purchase - 

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/501.95

Problem is it is not from a FL company.  A Florida company selling to a FL resident is where that applies.

• Like 1