Captain's Club Program Changes

HskrCrsr

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

A lot of good points.  I am confident that revenue (profit) per passenger is a key business metric.. The Retreat focus contributions to more profit.  
I suspect that a lot of customers that reach the Zenith Loyalty level, still cruise in Retreat cabins.  
I am not convinced that the benefits associated with the Captain Club levels are a significant driver in the cruise company choice. (Nor should they necessarily be ).  It has not been for me as I have always taken advance of the previous 123 or BBB programs.  (Negating the benefits) I have tried other cruise lines, but still enjoy the overall Celebrity experience. (Always Retreat now)..  Celebrity’s decision to eliminate the winter 14 day cruise Caribbean cruise options has forced me to try other cruise lines at times.  Otherwise I would be taking a two week Celebrity cruise every January.  

The 14-night Caribbean cruises are sadly missed!

• Like 6

When I think of Celebrity targeting younger passengers... it makes me think of when I worked on Lilt Home Permanents back in the day. I described our demographic curve as a toothpaste tube...where we were losing on the back end and not replenishing on the front..or younger end.. guess I was right..since I haven't seen home permanents on store shelves in decades.... While we older folks make up a large percentage of their loyal users...they need to generate more younger people and the earlier they can get them ..the more likely they will hold on to them as customers for a long time. Since Celebrity has not gone the flow rider, ice skating more active way of Royal..which is interesting to families...it makes sense that Celebrity target DINKs (double income no kids). Like an earlier poster.. I don't mind..I expect that...I just love the visuals of the ships. Now I will say that I prefer the S class ..with its old fashioned libraries and card rooms.... mostly I like these areas and additional public spaces to use when I don't want to sit in the sun or go to an activity.... sometimes it is nice just to sit and read someplace outside the cabin and not in the middle of everything.. I too miss the 14 day itineraries..but like the 10-12 days ... love getting to the southern caribbean.

2 hours ago, verizon said:

I totally agree with you most Zeniths have more disposable and more time available to cruise.

Not only zeniths CC members.  CC tier level has nothing to do with income or time. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

When I think of Celebrity targeting younger passengers... it makes me think of when I worked on Lilt Home Permanents back in the day. I described our demographic curve as a toothpaste tube...where we were losing on the back end and not replenishing on the front..or younger end.. guess I was right..since I haven't seen home permanents on store shelves in decades.... While we older folks make up a large percentage of their loyal users...they need to generate more younger people and the earlier they can get them ..the more likely they will hold on to them as customers for a long time. Since Celebrity has not gone the flow rider, ice skating more active way of Royal..which is interesting to families...it makes sense that Celebrity target DINKs (double income no kids). Like an earlier poster.. I don't mind..I expect that...I just love the visuals of the ships. Now I will say that I prefer the S class ..with its old fashioned libraries and card rooms.... mostly I like these areas and additional public spaces to use when I don't want to sit in the sun or go to an activity.... sometimes it is nice just to sit and read someplace outside the cabin and not in the middle of everything.. I too miss the 14 day itineraries..but like the 10-12 days ... love getting to the southern caribbean.

Knowing your customer demographics are important.Celebrity gathers older clientele.There is no need to worry about those younger passengers.they will come automatically as they age.Remember people get old.

Cruise line  will never make profit if their cabins are  not filled.

Have you pay attention to the cruise lines stock market lately?

One of the analyst predicted Carnival will go to ZERO.

Edited by verizon

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

A lot of good points.  I am confident that revenue (profit) per passenger is a key business metric.. The Retreat focus contributions to more profit.  
I suspect that a lot of customers that reach the Zenith Loyalty level, still cruise in Retreat cabins.  
I am not convinced that the benefits associated with the Captain Club levels are a significant driver in the cruise company choice. (Nor should they necessarily be ).  

You have hit the nail on the head.

I also agree with you that regardless of Loyalty status, that most of those customers will continue to book suites.

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

You raise a good point.  While we may or may not spend more $$ onboard we do have more time and disposable income to enable us to cruise more often and help them keep their ships filled.  So if the reason is not financial, then what is it?  I am not challenging you - I just don't understand then why they don't value the loyalty more?  I personally was very much less than impressed with the recent modifications to the Captains Club benefits - at least as it impacts me.  As an Elite Plus, planning to become Zenith later this year (if all goes well, fingers crossed!) I saw little of additional benefit.  The percentage increases for Move-up bids are so minor as to be of little value in my opinion although it's better than nothing - I have yet to win a move-up bid so hope it helps.  I still love Celebrity and will still make her my cruise line of choice but I was hoping for something a bit more impressive.  I have to say, though, that I am thrilled that they have not upped the points needed for Zenith.  Cynical as I can be, I kept fearing that once I got justthisclose to Zenith they would raise the points needed.  Thankfully that was not changed.

Let's keep both of our fingers crossed that X will keep the CC points as they are. 😉🍷

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

As an Elite Plus, planning to become Zenith later this year (if all goes well, fingers crossed!) I saw little of additional benefit.  

I no longer book suites. 🚫🛁 😉  Access to the shoreside zenith concierge is the benefit I appreciate most (and laundry).  I've recently received a succession of "yes" answers to requests I know would not have gotten off the ground at all through usual channels.  My TA, also a zenith, has been equally impressed/astounded during our 3-way calls.  

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 2:55 PM, the penguins said:

No on Oceania everyone pays for WiFi. With the new Celebrity pricing we all have choices.

Is this a recent change? It has always been included in the past for everyone even those who don't take the O Life Benefit. 

On 7/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, Redtravel said:

Not much difference.  I never bid for an upgrade. I book the cabin category that I want.  When I looked at the list for elite plus, I didn’t see the free 240 minutes of WiFi.  We actually used those minutes on our June cruise even though we had Always Included. The Always Included WiFi didn’t work most of the time. When it did, it was pathetically slow. The elite plus WiFi was somewhat better.  It often connected when the Always included WiFi wouldn’t.  In reality, I paid for Always included WiFi that didn’t work and used my elite plus WiFi.  Find this absolutely crazy.  This is what loyalty means?  Next cruise Oceaniawhere everyone gets free WiFi.

Thanks for this tip!! I would have not thought there was a difference. I'll use my 240 minutes then!

On 6/30/2022 at 5:43 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

They are bringing back the events that were cancelled.  Good.  The MoveUp bonus of 4% sounds nice, but what in reality does it mean.

Having cruise only fares return is great especially for our solo travelers. 

From the way I read it, I would think it is a straight percentage of whatever percent added to your bid.  For example, if you are Elite and bid $100.00, it would be treated as a $103.00 bid.  A $500.00 bid is treated as $515.00 etc.  Not much but it would serve as a tie breaker between same bid amounts.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:16 PM, Purplsmurf said:

So it looks as tho the CC happy hour from 5-7 will now be available for everyone and not just an Elite and above perk.

I saw this too, but the details in the brochure say different as other people have pointed out.  I think this was just bad copy and the free drinks stay limited to Elite and above.

• Like 2