Room Service on Princess

stevenr597

7 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

Here's what I'd like to add about room service. They will track you down! On the Ruby last fall, we ordered lunch from room service. After a nearly two hour wait, my DH was done with that. He wanted to be fed! We went down to the buffet and got some food. We sat down and started eating. A room service guy showed up at our table with our lunch order! We didn't mean to make the poor guy run around tracking us down - we just couldn't see that our order was going anywhere. So, we gave up. We apologized to him, but I'm not sure that was called for.

On the app it shows that your order has been received. Then it shows it is in progress. How long that "in progress" phase lasts is the issue. Our orders came in a very timely manner. Another we spoke with had more of the experience like you had. It is definitely a "work in progress" but I don't think passengers should be part of that "progress". Of course our ship was short staffed and that likely had something to do with it but the staff seemed to be unsure how it was supposed to work and many times when we ordered drinks they had to just stand there staring at their devices waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for them to connect and then eventually had to ask us to repeat the order. Other times they just gave up and asked for a cabin number. (I think that is likely how we ended up being charged for two drinks in the cigar lounge. Not only would we never set foot in that venue we had the Plus package so wouldn't have been charged anyway. The system isn't working as promised.)

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

On the app it shows that your order has been received. Then it shows it is in progress. How long that "in progress" phase lasts is the issue. Our orders came in a very timely manner. Another we spoke with had more of the experience like you had. It is definitely a "work in progress" but I don't think passengers should be part of that "progress". Of course our ship was short staffed and that likely had something to do with it but the staff seemed to be unsure how it was supposed to work and many times when we ordered drinks they had to just stand there staring at their devices waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for them to connect and then eventually had to ask us to repeat the order. Other times they just gave up and asked for a cabin number. (I think that is likely how we ended up being charged for two drinks in the cigar lounge. Not only would we never set foot in that venue we had the Plus package so wouldn't have been charged anyway. The system isn't working as promised.)

In all fairness, on the cruise before our last one, we ordered from room service and it arrived very quickly. We were in our first, and probably only, suite, so that might have had something to do with it. This last instance that I posted about showed "in progress" immediately and then never moved along for the nearly two hours I mentioned. They weren't answering the phone. So we moved along to the buffet before my husband went Donner party on me. Personally, I think I'd always be okay with an order taking an hour.

I'm not new to cruising, but I am new to Princess and Medallion. 

I have had drink packages before and don't normally tip when I order a drink at the pool, or go to a bar etc  because the cost of the tip is built into the package. But, if I ordered food through Room Service I always tipped a couple of bucks when it was delivered.  I know that tipping is a very personal thing and I'm not trying to start anything, but was wondering what the acceptable protocol is for when having drinks brought to your room through the medallion app.  Again not trying to start any drama about tipping, but wondering what the general consensus from more experienced cruiser is, thanks!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taylor_99b said:

I have had drink packages before and don't normally tip when I order a drink at the pool, or go to a bar etc  because the cost of the tip is built into the package. But, if I ordered food through Room Service I always tipped a couple of bucks when it was delivered.  I know that tipping is a very personal thing and I'm not trying to start anything, but was wondering what the acceptable protocol is for when having drinks brought to your room through the medallion app.  Again not trying to start any drama about tipping, but wondering what the general consensus from more experienced cruiser is, thanks!  

Can’t comment on the drinks, but I do feel that you should be complemented for giving “tips”. The crew do send the money home, and it is much needed. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, taylor_99b said:

I always tip a couple of bucks for anything brought to the room except breakfast since I feel a special trip is made for my room service order. The breakfasts are delivered with a cart for any number of cabins in the nearby area and not by an individual trip from the kitchen.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 5:24 PM, boltnut55 said:

I can only say that there was no ice bucket already in the cabin when we came in, but perhaps if we asked for ice service, they would have left one there.  In the past, we did ask for ice, but the steward normally is off work by the time I want it (usually like after 11:00PM), and I don't want to bug them, so we try to remember to bring our own back to the room except kept forgetting.

Did you check inside the mini-frig?  On the first day I spotted the empty ice bucket and requested ice, and every day after our cabin steward kept it filled.  Wonderful!

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, taylor_99b said:

We always tip Room Service because we are appreciative that we can have food and drink brought to us when we like.  

• Like 3

On 7/1/2022 at 8:24 PM, boltnut55 said:

I can only say that there was no ice bucket already in the cabin when we came in, but perhaps if we asked for ice service, they would have left one there.  In the past, we did ask for ice, but the steward normally is off work by the time I want it (usually like after 11:00PM), and I don't want to bug them, so we try to remember to bring our own back to the room except kept forgetting.

Sometimes the ice bucket and ice are not in cabin upon embarking due to the multiple responsibilities of turnaround day for the cabin attendants, but it usually is delivered later in the evening, often while we are at dinner. I suppose there could be an oversight when it's not delivered, but an ask will ensure you have what you want when you want it.  

• Like 2

I know that it's possible to order a small bottle of alcohol through the cruise personalizer but have quite a bit of OBC and would prefer to order it once onboard for in cabin enjoyment. This used to be possible through room service. Has anyone had success with this since the medallion app? I didn't see that option on our Feb cruise, but could have overlooked it. I suppose it may be possible by calling the dine line. Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience. Thanks!

On 6/30/2022 at 11:55 PM, caribill said:

That used to be the policy.

But with the heavy promotion of the ability to order something with Medallion technology and have it delivered to wherever you are on the ship. And that includes your cabin.

Sweet! I was basing my reply on the past. This is great. Thanks. 

On 7/2/2022 at 6:51 PM, taylor_99b said:

It's included in the package so I personally do NOT double tip.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:51 AM, taylor_99b said:

Quick question, we are on the Enchanted in 3 weeks time and wondered what do people tip on a European cruise, euros or dollars ?

cheers

rob

52 minutes ago, Cash123 said:

Quick question, we are on the Enchanted in 3 weeks time and wondered what do people tip on a European cruise, euros or dollars ?

cheers

rob

The crew will happily accept anything,  but as you are in Europe, and will probably be taking sone Euros with you anyway, I would tip in Euros.  

4 hours ago, Cash123 said:

cheers

rob

I will take $. As the lowest paper money in £/€ is a 5 and you can get $1 bills. I wouldn’t want to take a bag of coins and I just think they are less convenient for the crew. I wouldn’t be tipping €5 just for the delivery of a drink but may give a couple of $. I am quite sure the crew will bank most of their money to send home rather than spending it locally.