Haven't sailed on X since 2015 and need a refresher. (Thanks in advance!)

CineGraphic

Just booked the 15 day TA on the Constellation from Civitavecchia to Tampa.

This will be our 20th cruise, but only our 2nd with X, having sailed to Alaska on the Millennium in 2015.

We normally sail with Princess as we love to do our own laundry, and I had forgotten that there are no laundromats on X.

My memory is foggy, but is there a laundry bag deal for longer sailings?

What else will be different from Princess so I'm not thrown off?

Any and all insight/hints/etc are very much appreciated!

I realize that the Constellation is an older/smaller ship, and that's not a problem for us.

As a matter of fact we prefer the smaller ships compared to the behemoths everyone is building now.

14 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The smoking policy is liable to be a noticeable difference, with No smoking anywhere inside the ship, in your state room, or on your balcony.

That's actually a plus for us as we're both ex-smokers. Thanks!

• Like 1

They usually have a laundry special on longer cruises at the half way point.   I believe it is 19.95 for a bag of up to 30 items but they never count.     If Elite or Elite Plus you get free bags or 2 of laundry per person (wash and fold). 

• Thanks 1

Since you have only sailed on X once you would not likely be Elite or above in the CaptIns Club.  The laundry bag mid  cruise offer recently has been $49.95.

If you booked the Always Included rate your daily gratuity is included and covers your stateroom attendant and the dining room staff.

With the Classic beverage package drinks up to $9 are included ( liquor, wine, bottled water, soda, juice and specialty coffees & teas from Cafe Al Bacio). If you want a drink over the $9 you just pay the difference plus 20% gratuity. The pastries, cookies,  cakes, in the case at Cafe Al Bacio are free, no need to order a coffee or tea. 

If they do Silent Disco 1 evening give it a try.  It is fun if you participate but also fun  just to watch. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jelayne said:

If they do Silent Disco 1 evening give it a try.  It is fun if you participate but also fun  just to watch. 

Silent Disco is THE BEST. NCL needs to get on board with that--RCCL & Celebrity are rocking that one!

As our last Celebrity cruise was in 2018 in a suite, I have the same concerns as the OP here. We are just now starting to research our next cruise to be booked when Covid and airlines problems improve. Most of our cruise history has been on Regent but we were very impressed with the Celebrity suites cruise, which was our last one. Now, we don’t smoke and are not highly concerned about entertainment. But some reports from recent Retreat cruisers cause us some concern. The biggest concern comes from reports that the Luminae is not consistently and reliably open now, and the same is said to be true of other dining venues.As we are not fans of MDRs and buffets. It sounds like Celebrity might be short staffed. We have been to domestic land resorts since our last cruise. Because they were short staffed, we go no more.

So my specific question deals not only with restaurant hours being cut, but whether Celebrity is adequately staffed to provide the former level of service in all respects.

And I wonder how short staffed they are, compared to “normal times”? I have read reports here of problems on ships (not just Celebrity) that were only 1/3 full compared to double occupancy capacity. Seems like they could do fine with 1/3 of usual service crew. Are they running below that?

13 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

And I wonder how short staffed they are, compared to “normal times”? I have read reports here of problems on ships (not just Celebrity) that were only 1/3 full compared to double occupancy capacity. Seems like they could do fine with 1/3 of usual service crew. Are they running below that?

Originally I thought that the short staffing issues were to do with reduced capacity...but I recently heard on the news that the State Department was backed up with paperwork which impacted cruise staffing. So their labor issues are a bit different than local businesses... last two cruises..crews were happy to be there and some delaying end of contracts to help get caught up after not working for a long time. Supply chain issues may also impact drink options and perhaps meals as well. I guess the key is to be patient and flexible and realize that for a while cruising may not be quite up to the standards you are used to... but they will get there... at some point. I hope to still be alive then 🙂 

We have been on 5 sailings  since the restart and the Retreat Lounge, Sundeck and Luminae have been open and staffed everyday.  Luminae for Breakfast & dinner and lunch on sea days just as before the pandemic..

There were staff shortage in Luminae at the end of 1 cruise when 5or 6 of the staff tested positive for Covid as did our Butler and the 2nd butler.

This is good info, and I thank those who provided it. I guess there is a third criteria to when we will book another cruise. In addition to the Covid (personal) and airline problems, it is the matter of ship staffing being sufficient to justify the cruise cost.

A significant thread drift has occurred that has taken the discussion a long way from the OPs questions. 

What else will be different from Princess so I'm not thrown off?

Any and all insight/hints/etc are very much appreciated!

Edited by Bgwest
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

Thanks for the info. Elsewhere on this board there are posts saying that the Retreat was closed at more times than lunch on port days, and at unannounced times and dates. That is my concern.

I'd be curious to see this.

I suspect they didn't know about lunch on port days...and that is ALL that it is about.

Goodness knows I've sailed with folks like that...

Did ONE person make this comment or more than one. 

I always look for consistency in comments from multiple sources.

Only wondering as I have NOT seen any comments like this--but I certainly could have missed them!

16 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

This is good info, and I thank those who provided it. I guess there is a third criteria to when we will book another cruise. In addition to the Covid (personal) and airline problems, it is the matter of ship staffing being sufficient to justify the cruise cost.

That is something I have not heard or experienced.  We always travel in suites.  Since resumption of cruising after Covid we have been on 6 cruises.

Luminae has always been open for lunch on boarding day and every sea day.   They also were open on a couple port days when we were arriving in port at 1:00 pm due to a medical evacuation making us late. 

My own observation has been that if traveling in Retreat you will not be impacted much by staffing.   When some of our wait staff tested positive they pulled additional staff from other locations and service continued seamlessly. 

We had similar fears as you before we returned to sailing but after the 1st cruise we were re-hooked.   Leaving on another  B3B in 4 weeks.   The only thing we have changed is we are now flying a day early and has made our trips so much more relaxing.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Sorry. I thought part of the OP’s question was how Celebrity has changed since last decade. As I know nothing about Princess, I’ll say no more.

Don't let an individual poster deter you from posting.   I'm sure the OP enjoys your posts.  I sure do.