Greenwich departure address?

SempreMare

Was at the river boat pier near Cutty Sark just an hour ago.  Venus was anchored. Can confirm the tenders appear to be the Thames Clipper Uber Boats.  Venus is anchored maybe a couple hundred yards up river.  Also it’s just a ramp up and down to the boat floating platform.  Not a bad walk.  Big line of passengers waiting to get back though, for their final evening!  No tent up yet, likely not til tomorrow. Lots of lollipops gathering their crews for afternoon and evening excursions.

554EEC09-12B8-4398-8272-8ABDBACD0134.thumb.jpeg.04ca43508ee62dcec5933c67897e2ac5.jpeg86FB5E25-4BEB-4094-9A53-2816CE65CB85.thumb.jpeg.c8ceb8d6213dd769dc05dc27e5dda2b8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

After I read the first sentence I thought, “cool they won’t need to leave the dock they exit the Thames Clipper onto”.  But… from reading the rest of @Jim Avery’s post everyone of course still needs to go to the Viking check-in tent before boarding.

So @Twitchly would still need to exit the dock to get to the Viking check-in tent.   How many stairs would that be?  

(I had an embarrassing mis-adventure with luggage on stairs when I tried to imitate what I saw a taller and stronger guy was doing with his luggage…)

Right you are.  Up to the tent, check in, drop any baggage you want them to deliver to the cabin then wander about Greenwich or go back down the ramp to the tender to the ship.  No steps so you are ok with your technique.  

• Like 1

"exit the dock to get to the Viking check-in tent.   How many stairs would that be?   "

There are no steps, but the pontoon moves up and down with the tide (the Thames at Greenwich has a tidal range of up to 6 metres / about 20 foot).  So at a very low tide the access ramp can be a bit steep.

The mooring point for your ship is deep, but vessels only depart at high tide to make navigation easier.  At low tide there is a sandy beach alongside the O2 arena (about a mile downriver)....

• Thanks 1

The earlier comment about the foot tunnel under the river.  It is legally classed as a public highway so it is open 365 days / 24 hours.  Quite safe, I've walked through in the early hours many times.  The only concern is the lifts, which break down with monotonous frequency - a lot of steps....

For a photo opportunity, you get vistas from the north bank (Island Gardens park) that you can't see when in Greenwich itself

• Thanks 1

Just got on board Venus a few hours ago.  2022 update.  There is no tent anymore.  Viking uses the large building east of Cutty Sark and Nandos restaurant.  Nice easy checking indoors at 11.  Water coffee and small eats available.  Ushered down to river boat pier/Palo toon to take Uber Thames Clipper to the ship.  
view from 7th deck looking down at river boat and Greenwich landing.  
A3B6D592-3D57-4F4A-B314-D715E772518E.thumb.jpeg.14f329772b679fb2d20c92f750b9c9ed.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Just got on board Venus a few hours ago.  2022 update.  There is no tent anymore.  Viking uses the large building east of Cutty Sark and Nandos restaurant.  Nice easy checking indoors at 11.  

Thanks for this information!  Do you know whether the facility is open earlier for check in? Can we check in and drop off our luggage before 11 AM?

6 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

The check in building is now in a closed restaurant.  Used to be Byron Burgers.

Very helpful!  Even though it’s closed, it’s still listed on Google maps.

One word of warning though –

There are 2 permanently closed Byron‘s burgers in Greenwich.  

• Both are near Nandos.
  • Both are near what look like major Piers
  • Only one however is near the Cutty Sark. 

Make sure you navigate to the building near Cutty Sark if you’re using a closed Byron‘s Burgers for the Google maps Viking check in address.

This is where all luggage is dropped off, correct?  
In other words, i  would not  need to check in there and then take luggage to a secondary location?

BA73267C-EF2C-4FD8-A104-A44214072489.jpeg

Edited by SempreMare

On 7/16/2022 at 12:25 AM, Moonlion said:

Thanks for this information!  Do you know whether the facility is open earlier for check in? Can we check in and drop off our luggage before 11 AM?

Check in building is the building just east of Nandos and Cutt Sark.  You won’t miss it as there are many Viking people swarming around the area.  We arrived at 10:40 am and they took our luggage.  The check in room did not open until 11, but there was a nice park where visitors info toilets, and coffee place is.  Not sure how early you could drop bags.  Probably not until Viking personnel arrive and set up.

note the ramp to the ferry platform can vary in steepness depending where the tide is (24-27 feet).  We were at max low tide so had a very steep decline.  But later it was flat.

hint:  don’t overthink this boarding process.  It’s not that difficult.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had planned to take the Thames Clipper from Westminster bridge to Greenwich pier but decided not to as we could not see how to get our luggage down to the Westminster pier other than dragging down lots of stairs. Plus it is very crowded n London now. Took Uber to Greenwich pier (only 20 GBP) . We had to look around for drop off point because could not find the tent (not there now).  Eventually found some Viking folks.

I think if you Google Greenwich cruise ship tier it leads you there.  We were early, 10:40 but found someone to take our bags.  They were still unloading people and bags from prior cruise so best not to be too early.  At 11 Viking opened the check-in building and check-in went smoothly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, icruisetoo said:

We had planned to take the Thames Clipper from Westminster bridge to Greenwich pier but decided not to as we could not see how to get our luggage down to the Westminster pier other than dragging down lots of stairs. Plus it is very crowded n London now. Took Uber to Greenwich pier (only 20 GBP) . We had to look around for drop off point because could not find the tent (not there now).  Eventually found some Viking folks.

I think if you Google Greenwich cruise ship tier it leads you there.  We were early, 10:40 but found someone to take our bags.  They were still unloading people and bags from prior cruise so best not to be too early.  At 11 Viking opened the check-in building and check-in went smoothly.  

Only £20 for a taxi to Greenwich? Where did you pick up the taxi? 

17 hours ago, icruisetoo said:

Yes where were you in London?  Big City and we don’t need to set future travelers expectations poorly.  We just did Uber from Kensington to Greenwich -4 of us- on an XL- for 38 pounds.  Best deal. Had been going around 45-50 each time we looked.  Nice driver.  Took over an hour to get there at 10:30.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, icruisetoo said:

We had planned to take the Thames Clipper from Westminster bridge to Greenwich pier but decided not to a

Hi icruisetoo.  Are you on Venus now?  We are.  I see you are in Santa Barbara.  We are just up the 101 from you in Paso Robles wine country.  

Kent and Pam 6093

4 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Hi icruisetoo.  Are you on Venus now?  We are.  I see you are in Santa Barbara.  We are just up the 101 from you in Paso Robles wine country.  

Kent and Pam 6093

I should be getting on Venus the day you get off. 🙂 Do you mind giving info on the Covid situation on board, I.e. mask wearing, evidence of quarantining, etc. ?

• Like 1

We took Uber from Westminster area (Conrad St. James) for 20 pounds. Maybe took about 30 or 40 minutes.

We are on Venus now and most folks seem healthy but I did notice a tray covered in red plastic outside the room 2 doors down from us. Also heard someone from that room with a bad cough. So I’m assuming the ship may let you stay in your room if sick.  Saw the captain and some officers eating in World Cafe and he chatted with us and gave a fist bump so  maybe a good sign.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, icruisetoo said:

We took Uber from Westminster area (Conrad St. James) for 20 pounds. Maybe took about 30 or 40 minutes.

We are on Venus now and most folks seem healthy but I did notice a tray covered in red plastic outside the room 2 doors down from us. Also heard someone from that room with a bad cough. So I’m assuming the ship may let you stay in your room if sick.  Saw the captain and some officers eating in World Cafe and he chatted with us and gave a fist bump so  maybe a good sign.

Thanks for this info about Uber in London! The price seems very reasonable for that distance in London.  How was your stay at the Conrad St James?  We are staying there in mid-September after disembarking the Viking Mars.  Have a wonderful cruise. 

7 hours ago, icruisetoo said:

Yes, if the Captain and Officers were in the World Cafe and chatting/mingling with pax that is a reasonable sign that the virus load onboard was low.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 1:14 AM, SempreMare said:

Very helpful!  Even though it’s closed, it’s still listed on Google maps.

One word of warning though –

There are 2 permanently closed Byron‘s burgers in Greenwich.  

• Both are near Nandos.
  • Both are near what look like major Piers
  • Only one however is near the Cutty Sark. 

Make sure you navigate to the building near Cutty Sark if you’re using a closed Byron‘s Burgers for the Google maps Viking check in address.

This is where all luggage is dropped off, correct?  
In other words, i  would not  need to check in there and then take luggage to a secondary location?

BA73267C-EF2C-4FD8-A104-A44214072489.jpeg

Just an extra word of helpful advice for any UK guests who may be driving down to the Cutty Sark Gardens or getting a taxi from their home.

Our local taxi firm and driver were not familiar with the exact location and our journey summary (received a few days before leaving) did NOT include a post code.

The ‘chat’ line couldn’t find one and then gave us the one for North Greenwich Pier!

I scoured this forum and found a similar discussion, thankfully.

The post code for sat navs is: SE10 9HT.

There are plenty of Viking staff in hi-viz jackets around at the taxi drop-off and baggage handlers quickly take the luggage.

‘Just a short walk to the building where you are processed then an Uber Clipper to the ship.

We’ve arrived in Bergen today after a lovely cruise.

The weather was mixed.

The stops at the Lofoten Islands and Olden were amazing.

• Thanks 2