Greenwich departure address?

SempreMare

May I just ask if anyone knows how early guests can embark in Greenwich?  If DV cabin isn't ready until 2 p.m., is it still possible to board early to try to do things like change dinner reservations, make spa appointments?  Or do you have to wait until 2 p.m.?

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind rules continually change but we were allowed to board around 10 am one trip.  Of course the rooms were not available and there were no places to change dinner rez, etc. as the entire crew participates in turn around day.  Still, beats sitting on a park bench in the rain waiting for Noon.....🍸

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lovestx said:

May I just ask if anyone knows how early guests can embark in Greenwich?  If DV cabin isn't ready until 2 p.m., is it still possible to board early to try to do things like change dinner reservations, make spa appointments?  Or do you have to wait until 2 p.m.?

Yes. They started boarding at 11:00 am. People did the things you mentioned until their cabins were open. The World Cafe is open.

• Like 2

If I  wanted to drop off my luggage and immediately go explore the Cutty Sark, Could I do that at 9:30 AM?

I think someone mentioned they did that at a Viking tent, but was wondering what time that tent might pop up? ( to receive luggage)

Edited by SempreMare

On 7/6/2022 at 7:48 PM, SempreMare said:

If I  wanted to drop off my luggage and immediately go explore the Cutty Sark, Could I do that at 9:30 AM?

I think someone mentioned they did that at a Viking tent, but was wondering what time that tent might pop up? ( to receive luggage)

The tent was also used for disembarking passengers, so I guess will be 'manned' from the very early hours.  I think you would need to check with Viking. 

We stayed in Greenwich for a couple of nights before our sailing from there, and I'm sure we checked out of our hotel during the morning and headed to the ship, but so much has happened since then that I can't remember exact procedures!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

The tent was also used for disembarking passengers, so I guess will be 'manned' from the very early hours.  I think you would need to check with Viking. 

We stayed in Greenwich for a couple of nights before our sailing from there, and I'm sure we checked out of our hotel during the morning and headed to the ship, but so much has happened since then that I can't remember exact procedures!

Thank you!

will let everyone know, as we board this Friday morning the 15th.  Are staying at Greenwich Doubletree.  We’ve been in London since Saturday and it’s 90 degrees hot!  

• Like 1

Fyi

I also emailed this question to tellus@viking…

The answer might vary per cruise as well, but @CCWineLovercould you post what time the Greenwich Viking tent is open this Friday for business in terms of taking luggage?  

( not asking about room access,

i realize that varies per state room.

Just interested in how early I can give all my luggage to someone and go visit all the awesome museums )

How has your exploring gone in Greenwich so far?

Edited by SempreMare

11 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thank you!

will let everyone know, as we board this Friday morning the 15th.  Are staying at Greenwich Doubletree.  We’ve been in London since Saturday and it’s 90 degrees hot!  

Loved the Greenwich  DoubleTree!  Interesting architecture, great friendly and helpful staff, good food.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Loved the Greenwich  DoubleTree!  Interesting architecture, great friendly and helpful staff, good food.

Great, Janet!   We are in London and will move to Greenwich this Thursday, getting there early.  How did you get there?  The River Cruises?  Did you take the DLR from Cutty Sark to Doubletree?   How did you get to the ship from the hotel?  Uber?  Taxi?  DLR ?   What time did you try to board?

We hope to visit Cutty Sark, the Observatory, and the Museum on Thursday afternoon.  Did you find a fun place to have dinner in Greenwich?

11 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Great, Janet!   We are in London and will move to Greenwich this Thursday, getting there early.  How did you get there?  The River Cruises?  Did you take the DLR from Cutty Sark to Doubletree?   How did you get to the ship from the hotel?  Uber?  Taxi?  DLR ?   What time did you try to board?

We hope to visit Cutty Sark, the Observatory, and the Museum on Thursday afternoon.  Did you find a fun place to have dinner in Greenwich?

We stayed there the night before departure and were so tired/jet lagged that we just ate dinner at the hotel which was very good( nothing fancy). Breakfast there in the morning was also good. We booked a taxi to the dock as we didn’t want to drag suitcases over cobblestone walks. We boarded the ship shortly before 11. From LHR we had booked a car service ( which called us shortly after we landed to tell us the car was no longer available as “it had broken down”.
We just went to the taxi stand and took a Black Taxi from LHR to the Greenwich hotel ( had we been more awake and thinking we would have taken the Heathrow Express to Paddington and a taxi from there). Walked from the hotel to the Cutty Sark and all over Greenwich. Wish we could have spent more time there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, janetcbl said:

We stayed there the night before departure and were so tired/jet lagged that we just ate dinner at the hotel which was very good( nothing fancy). Breakfast there in the morning was also good. We booked a taxi to the dock as we didn’t want to drag suitcases over cobblestone walks. We boarded the ship shortly before 11. From LHR we had booked a car service ( which called us shortly after we landed to tell us the car was no longer available as “it had broken down”.
We just went to the taxi stand and took a Black Taxi from LHR to the Greenwich hotel ( had we been more awake and thinking we would have taken the Heathrow Express to Paddington and a taxi from there). Walked from the hotel to the Cutty Sark and all over Greenwich. Wish we could have spent more time there!

Thank you Janet!  We may just take a taxi or Uber from our Doubletree Kensington tomorrow to Greenwich.  They seem to be plentiful here.   Definitely want to see Cutty Sark for sure.  We like to come in early to cruises so we can get time adjusted. 

I see you are in Iowa.  My relatives (cousins) live in Iowa - Southeast (Fairfield/Cedar Rapids) and we visit every year, and try to make the famous State Fair if we can.

6 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

The Trafalgar Tavern looks intriguing to me...

https://www.trafalgartavern.co.uk/

Seems as interesting from YouTubes as it does from  their website.

Anyone been there? 

does look interesting.  We may have to try it.  There are 4 of us and we'll only go if we can eat outside.  It has been a bit sad to miss all the indoor activities in London (museums, pubs, etc.) as we are trying to be careful and certainly people in London are done with COVID.  However, we've filled our time in London with so many outdoor activities (doing about 10-15K steps a day) - spent the day Tuesday at wonderful Kew Gardens.  If we do make it Thursday night, I'll post some things.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

does look interesting.  We may have to try it.  There are 4 of us and we'll only go if we can eat outside.  It has been a bit sad to miss all the indoor activities in London (museums, pubs, etc.) as we are trying to be careful and certainly people in London are done with COVID.  However, we've filled our time in London with so many outdoor activities (doing about 10-15K steps a day) - spent the day Tuesday at wonderful Kew Gardens.  If we do make it Thursday night, I'll post some things.

I poked at their reservation system a while ago.  It seems they have 2 types of outdoor reservations -  something like "terrace"  and "riverside" 

Maybe the terrace tables are the ones on the side.

From the YouTubes it looks like they have a large # of outdoor tables but it does get crowded.  

Looks centrally located - just a 5 minute walk from Cutty Sark

You'll walk past where all those blockbuster action movie scenes were filmed outside of Old Royal Navy College.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SempreMare said:

The Trafalgar Tavern looks intriguing to me...

https://www.trafalgartavern.co.uk/

Seems as interesting from YouTubes as it does from  their website.

Anyone been there? 

A very pleasant river front pub. Haven't eaten there, but have enjoyed a few pints. Well worth the walk along the river from the Cutty Sark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

A very pleasant river front pub. Haven't eaten there, but have enjoyed a few pints. Well worth the walk along the river from the Cutty Sark.

OK Andy and Jim, our resident Cruise Credit afficianados on good pubs!

I just booked us (for 4) for tomorrow (Thursday the 14th) evening for Riverside table.  Looking forward to it.  Hope to share some pics!   We board the Venus on the 15th.

Kent

• Like 3

We are currently in London at Conrad hotel and were hoping to take the Thames Clipper boat from Westminster pier to the Greenwich pier to the ship. Is the walk from the pier where the Clipper boat docks to the Viking baggage drop off point walkable with luggage. Thanks for your help.

5 hours ago, icruisetoo said:

We are currently in London at Conrad hotel and were hoping to take the Thames Clipper boat from Westminster pier to the Greenwich pier to the ship. Is the walk from the pier where the Clipper boat docks to the Viking baggage drop off point walkable with luggage. Thanks for your help.

We hope to do the same thing. Please let us know how it turns out.

6 hours ago, icruisetoo said:

Where the Thames Clipper and the tenders to the ship dock are the same dock.  Last time the tenders to the ship were the same TC boats as the ones sailing up and down the river.  The dock is a floating dock with a ramp to the shore.  From tender to tent where Viking checks in is probably around 100 yards.  One thing, since the dock is floating, the ramp can be a little steep at low tide.  I would think you can do it ok.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Where the Thames Clipper and the tenders to the ship dock are the same dock.  Last time the tenders to the ship were the same TC boats as the ones sailing up and down the river.  The dock is a floating dock with a ramp to the shore.  From tender to tent where Viking checks in is probably around 100 yards.  One thing, since the dock is floating, the ramp can be a little steep at low tide.  I would think you can do it ok.

After I read the first sentence I thought, “cool they won’t need to leave the dock they exit the Thames Clipper onto”.  But… from reading the rest of @Jim Avery’s post everyone of course still needs to go to the Viking check-in tent before boarding.

So @Twitchly would still need to exit the dock to get to the Viking check-in tent.   How many stairs would that be?  

(I had an embarrassing mis-adventure with luggage on stairs when I tried to imitate what I saw a taller and stronger guy was doing with his luggage…)

Edited by SempreMare