Starlink Intranet Supposedly Coming

Looks like Starlink had been installed on Freedom of the Seas and RCI is looking to add it to other ships with government approval. It will speed up the internet on the ships. Any bets on how high the new internet prices will go?

2 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

Looks like Starlink had been installed on Freedom of the Seas and RCI is looking to add it to other ships with government approval. It will speed up the internet on the ships. Any bets on how high the new internet prices will go?

Lawsuit filed by Dish Network attempting to keep this from happening. 

I've read that it has been installed on Freedom, but is it in use yet?

I was on Freedom last week and while the internet was faster than the frustrating speeds I encountered on allure and oasis, they were slower than Indy and about the same as Mariner and the handful of carnival ships I've been on recently.

Streaming was not possible and even YouTube buffered frequently. This was with the surf and stream package.

The only thing improved I noticed was I could walk around the ship without dropping wifi and having to reconnect which has been an issue on every other royal ship.

35 minutes ago, jam19872016 said:

I've read that it has been installed on Freedom, but is it in use yet?

I was on Freedom last week and while the internet was faster than the frustrating speeds I encountered on allure and oasis, they were slower than Indy and about the same as Mariner and the handful of carnival ships I've been on recently.

Streaming was not possible and even YouTube buffered frequently. This was with the surf and stream package.

The only thing improved I noticed was I could walk around the ship without dropping wifi and having to reconnect which has been an issue on every other royal ship.

And how did you know it was Starlink being used?

16 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

And how did you know it was Starlink being used?

Multiple articles on it floating around:   "A couple of weeks earlier, it was known that the Royal Caribbean Group applied for a license to use Starlink internet dishes on its ships. A letter was written to the FCC asking license to operate the internet dishes. Earlier this week, Royal Caribbean announced that its ship ‘Freedom of the Seas’ now has Starlink dish antennas outfitted onboard" ... The Weekend Cruiser 6.56K subscribers Starlink was installed last weekend and has been operational on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas for the last two cruises. To go where no Cruise Ship...

Edited by ONECRUISER

28 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The first sentence that you quoted asks the same question.

But, the last sentence kinda assumes the answer is yes.  😄

THe last sentence talked about wifi connectivity, which has nothing to do with Starlink.  Starlink will only affect internet  performance .  Running a speedtest will show what connection is being used for the intermet.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The speed test shown by a couple of Youtubers who sailed Freedom, shows that the network link is over Starlink.

I thought that they went up to the antennas  and connected directly, not through the ship wifi.  I saw that too.

Edited by mo&fran
  • Haha 1

Just now, mo&fran said:

I thought that they went up to the antennas and connected directly, not through the ship wifi.

You can't get a wifi/network connection any other way than the ship's wifi network. The Starlink connection is probably connected to the same network router where the existing O3B connection is and then distributed on the ship via the existing wifi network.

6 hours ago, mo&fran said:

I thought that they went up to the antennas  and connected directly, not through the ship wifi.  I saw that too.

Well, the blogger I saw was in a deck 12 cabin. Maybe he spliced into the test feed from the antennas right above him😉🤣🤣

• Haha 1