Question about passport

A friend is going on a cruise with her daughter.  She just realized that her 15 year daughter's passport expires in a couple of week and they  cruise in about three weeks.  Her passport does not expire until about three weeks after the cruise would be over.  Will she be okay with bringing her daughter's birth certificate and passport as id?  Would it matter if her passport is expiring soon after the cruise?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

A friend is going on a cruise with her daughter.  She just realized that her 15 year daughter's passport expires in a couple of week and they  cruise in about three weeks.  Her passport does not expire until about three weeks after the cruise would be over.  Will she be okay with bringing her daughter's birth certificate and passport as id?  Would it matter if her passport is expiring soon after the cruise?

Depends where you are cruising from.  If from the US and it is a closed loop, then yes, her certified Birth Cert and ID will be sufficient.

3 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

Since her daughter doesn't have an ID except for the passport that will be expired, the birth certificate will be enough?  It is a US to US cruise.

Depending on her age, it should be.  Younger children only need a birth certificate I think.  Ove 12, needs a school ID or something in addition to the birth cert.

Since her passport is valid during the cruise, I'd just use that, but keep her birth certificate and any other ID she may have handy just in case.   The rule about passports needing to be valid 6 months after the cruise is really just the "greatest common denominator" to cover cruises to countries that require it.  US, Canada and Caribbean cruises do not.  

If it's a closed loop cruise out of the USA, the passport is perfectly legal and all that is needed.

For people who didn't read properly, the passport doesn't expire until AFTER the cruise.  It is completely fine to cruise on a valid passport.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Since her passport is valid during the cruise, I'd just use that, but keep her birth certificate and any other ID she may have handy just in case.   The rule about passports needing to be valid 6 months after the cruise is really just the "greatest common denominator" to cover cruises to countries that require it.  US, Canada and Caribbean cruises do not.  

Sounds like one passport WON’T be valid and the mother’s expires shortly after.

In most cases I agree the 6- month rule isn’t followed, especially on closed loop cruises, but a few days before our recent repositioning US to US cruise we received an email reminder from Royal stating due to recent changes passports must be valid for 6-months after end of cruise. ( A search didn’t  bring up any recent changes that  I could find.)

My husband only had another month on his and it was in fact queried at check-in. Fortunately, he has a second passport and so there was no problem but it would have been interesting to see what the result would have been otherwise.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

Depending on her age, it should be.  Younger children only need a birth certificate I think.  Ove 12, needs a school ID or something in addition to the birth cert.

I though ID was only needed for 16 and older.  Yep, here's the info.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/minor-identification-forms

Edited by BND

32 minutes ago, brillohead said:

If it's a closed loop cruise out of the USA, the passport is perfectly legal and all that is needed.

For people who didn't read properly, the passport doesn't expire until AFTER the cruise.  It is completely fine to cruise on a valid passport.

I think you (and others) may be reading it as one passport situation, when it appears to be two passport situations.

"She [Mom] just realized that her 15 year daughter's passport expires in a couple of week and they  cruise in about three weeks.  Her [Mom] passport does not expire until about three weeks after the cruise would be over."

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Royal Caribbean's requirements (not cruise critic's guesses). This is similar to most airlines. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

Q

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)?

A

For US Sailings 

U.S. Citizens may sail using their:

• Official US Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, like a driver’s license or an identity card. Please note that hospital Birth Certificates (baby feet Birth Certificates) are not accepted.

or

• U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise. 
    • Lastly, below are details if you need additional information about your passport.
      • Visit the United Sates Department of State travel information website.
      • Visa Central is the passport and visa service provider that we recommend. When you contact Visa Central, reference our account 44988 for reduced service fees. Contact Visa Central:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/minor-identification-forms

Q

What forms of ID are required for minors traveling on Royal Caribbean?

A

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notorized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

U.S. Passport book that is valid at least 6 months after your cruise.

A check-in agent can, and does override any automatic alert that a US passport will expire in less than 6 months of embarking on a closed loop cruise.  A holder of a valid US passport would not be denied boarding if their passport is still current by the day they disembark the ship on a closed loop cruise.

• Like 1

I just realized that her daughter will be turning 16 before the cruise and won't have a driver's license!  I am hoping she can get some sort of state id before they leave!

On 7/7/2022 at 1:03 AM, Ferry_Watcher said:

A check-in agent can, and does override any automatic alert that a US passport will expire in less than 6 months of embarking on a closed loop cruise.  A holder of a valid US passport would not be denied boarding if their passport is still current by the day they disembark the ship on a closed loop cruise.

Thank you!  I will let her know. But I will still tell her to bring her birth certificate just in case.  That would be horrible to show up and they won't let you on for some reason.

• Like 1