On Odyssey now in Alaska

moggyhill

First time on Seaborn.  Met loads of former Crystal cruisers.  Nice folks all around.  Seems to be a shake down cruise.  Management responds to issues as they are brought to their attention.   Many many many new staff.  Not yet a five star cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moggyhill said:

First time on Seaborn.  Met loads of former Crystal cruisers.  Nice folks all around.  Seems to be a shake down cruise.  Management responds to issues as they are brought to their attention.   Many many many new staff.  Not yet a five star cruise.

What exactly do you mean by shake down cruise.  This ship has been in Alaska for a number of cruises now.  Are you saying that there are service/staffing issues? If so, can you give us details?  

• Like 1

Many new staff who don’t know the procedures.  For example we had do not disturb sign out.  Staff kept ringing door bell non stop.  Then entered room.   We did make complaint.  Food and beverage manager did take care 

of this.  We had a standing order for a food item to be delivered at a specific time.  The first day it never came.  This type of service is not expected of a five star cruise.  

11 hours ago, moggyhill said:

This type of service is not expected of a five star cruise.  

We are scheduled to cruise on the Odyssey in September.  I sure hope these issues have been resolved before we embark!

I agree with Moggyhill -- I better for my sake as the DH.

There are lots of new people onboard.  Our waiter Johannes (who is great) was training the newby.

The person that entered the room did apologize -- stated that he was only with Seabourn on his first cruise contract for 3 weeks.

The staff has been exceedingly friendly the F&B managers know us by name, same with our waiters, same with the baristas.  We treat everyone with respect and try to make lemonade from any lemons we find.  Of course the lemons do go well with the G&T or the caviar we get on standing order in the evening.

One very odd item is the mix of people.  Many first time cruisers, many first Seabourn, plus many ????

Several nights ago, my DW was in Seabourn Square for a 9pm coffee, when a couple dressed in their white formal clothes (their bathrobes) came down for an evening cappuccino.  The evening trivia question among those observing - is there anything under those robes  🙂

• Haha 2

We are on board too.   It was a rocky first day as far as certain things   You couldn’t reach guest services and certain little things were not up to par. First world problems for sure but for the money you pay to be on board….. things should have been better in terms of a first impression. 

I will report back as the cruise continues. So far day 2 is great.  

• Thanks 3

Question for those on-board now: is the jacket/parka provided by Seabourn enough for an Alaska cruise? Or should we be bringing a cold weather jacket of our own? Thanks for sharing the information.

19 minutes ago, Shorex said:

Question for those on-board now: is the jacket/parka provided by Seabourn enough for an Alaska cruise? Or should we be bringing a cold weather jacket of our own? Thanks for sharing the information.

The jackets are excellent--but we did take layers for underneath.  I had a down sweater for example which I almost always wore.  And, it all depends on the weather while you are there.  You do not need to bring another cold weather jacket.  

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:22 PM, PaulMCO said:

I agree with Moggyhill -- I better for my sake as the DH.

There are lots of new people onboard.  Our waiter Johannes (who is great) was training the newby.

The person that entered the room did apologize -- stated that he was only with Seabourn on his first cruise contract for 3 weeks.

The staff has been exceedingly friendly the F&B managers know us by name, same with our waiters, same with the baristas.  We treat everyone with respect and try to make lemonade from any lemons we find.  Of course the lemons do go well with the G&T or the caviar we get on standing order in the evening.

One very odd item is the mix of people.  Many first time cruisers, many first Seabourn, plus many ????

Several nights ago, my DW was in Seabourn Square for a 9pm coffee, when a couple dressed in their white formal clothes (their bathrobes) came down for an evening cappuccino.  The evening trivia question among those observing - is there anything under those robes  🙂

ROFL!  You have hit on my pet peeve which are the "Robe People" we have seen on many different cruise lines including SB.  (I could mention we also saw some of these on Crystal which makes me wonder if that couple were Crystal refugees).  

I do not understand why folks think it is fine to walk around any ship in a bathrobe although I would give some slack to those coming or heading to the gym or spa.  But I guess I am in the minority and most could care less.

Hank

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

ROFL!  You have hit on my pet peeve which are the "Robe People" we have seen on many different cruise lines including SB.  (I could mention we also saw some of these on Crystal which makes me wonder if that couple were Crystal refugees).  

I do not understand why folks think it is fine to walk around any ship in a bathrobe although I would give some slack to those coming or heading to the gym or spa.  But I guess I am in the minority and most could care less.

Hank

It is odd, but as long as the robe belts do not come undone to reveal the next layer (if any), I'd rather see people in luxury bathrobes at SB Square, than guests wearing  jeans with pre-made style-holes, T-shirts with in-your-face messages, and backwards baseball caps (e.g., as on a holiday SB Caribbean cruise, which I now know to avoid).

Recall, also, that SB sometimes used to organize outdoor  "morning champagne in your bathrobe"  events on special scenic sail-ins. 

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I do not understand why folks think it is fine to walk around any ship in a bathrobe although I would give some slack to those coming or heading to the gym or spa.

I tried this once going to the Lido Restaurant on a HAL ship for a very early continental  breakfast before going to the Greenhouse Spa for the morning.  I felt "uncomfortable" doing so and did not do so again.  T-shirt/bathing trunks was what I wore afterwards in such a situation.  That was, I felt, was appropriate.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

The jackets are excellent--but we did take layers for underneath.  I had a down sweater for example which I almost always wore.  And, it all depends on the weather while you are there.  You do not need to bring another cold weather jacket.  

Is the provided jacket a thin windbreaker or is it a regular jacket?  I got the impression it was a waterproof thin windbreaker, under which you would need to wear a regular jacket or other layers.

Also, where in my account on Seabourn.com do I find the place to put in my order for the jacket which would indicate the size I would like?

Thanks.

3 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Is the provided jacket a thin windbreaker or is it a regular jacket?  I got the impression it was a waterproof thin windbreaker, under which you would need to wear a regular jacket or other layers.

Also, where in my account on Seabourn.com do I find the place to put in my order for the jacket which would indicate the size I would like?

Thanks.

It is not a thin windbreaker.   You can change sizes once you are on the ship.  Easily.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, SLSD said:

It is not a thin windbreaker.   You can change sizes once you are on the ship.  Easily.  

Good to know.  That will save me space when packing if I don't need to bring a regular winter jacket for our end of September Alaska cruise.

So I guess we don't order the jacket before the cruise?  Just get one on board?

Thanks again!

23 minutes ago, SLSD said:

When you were on a few years ago, was it this jacket SB provided?

https://seabourn.shiptoshoretraveler.com/parkaform-ak

Or something different?  If so, do you have a picture of it to post? 

If it was the jacket shown in my link, for a late September cruise, when it can get down to low 40's (plus wind) if you're unlucky, this California sissy who even felt cold on rainy windy days in July and August in Alaska, would definitely bring something warmer (and also put a sweater on underneath).  

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

When you were on a few years ago, was it this jacket SB provided?

https://seabourn.shiptoshoretraveler.com/parkaform-ak

Or something different?  If so, do you have a picture of it to post? 

If it was the jacket shown in my link, for a late September cruise, when it can get down to low 40's (plus wind) if you're unlucky, this California sissy who even felt cold on rainy windy days in July and August in Alaska, would definitely bring something warmer (and also put a sweater on underneath).  

Yes, this is the jacket.  And, as I said, we layered under it---a down sweater over whatever long sleeved item we were wearing.  We did also take Patagonia long sleeved tops  (Capilene) which are meant to be a first layer. We never had to wear them.  For us, in May and early June in Alaska, this was more than enough with the SB jacket on top.  We are Texans, so certainly not used to cold weather.  Of course others may not find it sufficient--but I would be surprised.  The weather in Alaska is all over the map in the summertime. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

Thanks for your link and for your advice.

This is a quote from the 2021 Seabourn link you provided:

"The Seabourn All-Weather Jacket is a water- and wind-proof shell, with a stow-away hood in the collar, developed and designed especially for Seabourn for travelers to Alaska."

Since it is described as a "shell," now it sounds as though I will need a proper winter jacket.

17 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Thanks for your link and for your advice.

This is a quote from the 2021 Seabourn link you provided:

"The Seabourn All-Weather Jacket is a water- and wind-proof shell, with a stow-away hood in the collar, developed and designed especially for Seabourn for travelers to Alaska."

Since it is described as a "shell," now it sounds as though I will need a proper winter jacket.

I am just discussing this with my husband right now.  The jacket has a layer of insulation in it--and is quite effective.  For really cold weather, you DO need to layer under it.  Think- Patagonia Capilene, long sleeved top, down sweater, etc  We never had to add the Capilene, but did wear a long sleeved top and down sweater.  My down sweater is just a simple Uniqlo light down jacket (very thin).  We were quite comfortable even early in the season. My husband wore this jacket out at our farm during the Polar Vortex of 2021 here in Texas.  

I've just gone and fetched one of our jackets from a coat closet.  So, here it is.  It has a fleece lining and an interlining.  I do think it is important to size it large enough for layering underneath.  But, as I have said, we never needed more than a long sleeved top and a light down sweater.  My husband wore a long sleeved shirt and a light wool sweater underneath.  

There is the outer layer, the fleecy layer and another layer in between---something like thinsulate.  It is a warm jacket--especially when you layer. 

IMG_3776-2.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The coldest we ever were was out on the deck of the ship when we were approaching the Hubbard Glacier.  We did take warm gloves and hats as well.  The jacket worked very well with layers underneath it.  

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

The coldest we ever were was out on the deck of the ship when we were approaching the Hubbard Glacier.  We did take warm gloves and hats as well.  The jacket worked very well with layers underneath it.  

I would also recommend thin plastic over pants. Handy if doing a zodiac excursion to help with the cold especially if you get any splash on you. I used them a few times in Alaska and will use them again when we do Antarctica.

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I am in total agreement 

19 hours ago, SLSD said:

Thank you!

We are on board too.   It was a rocky first day as far as certain things   You couldn’t reach guest services and certain little things were not up to par. First world problems for sure but for the money you pay to be on board….. things should have been better in terms of a first impression. 

Day 2 and 3 much better in terms of service. 

One disappointment for us: there isn’t really a place to have a nice sit down breakfast. For the money you spend on this line you should have another option other than a buffet or food brought to you from the buffet. Room service is nice but I feel a little cheated in the breakfast department.