VOLENDAM status. Wuzzup?

LocoLoco1

CCL is being paid by the Netherlands to provide the Volendam to house refugees. This began last April. Originally for three months. The city of Rotterdam extended the charter thru Sept 14th. No further info has come across my desk.

With that said, I will be surprised if the Volendam ever carries another paying passenger for HAL given the current pulse of the industry. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

CCL is being paid by the Netherlands to provide the Volendam to house refugees. This began last April. Originally for three months. The city of Rotterdam extended the charter thru Sept 14th. No further info has come across my desk.

With that said, I will be surprised if the Volendam ever carries another paying passenger for HAL given the current pulse of the industry. 

Considering the war in the Ukraine is lasting longer than most might have assumed it would early on, it probably is very likely that Rotterdam may request to extend the refugee charter beyond September.  It seems to be working well and HAL is probably more than happy to get paid to provide passenger service without cruising. 

• Like 3

Volendam is sailing from Rome to Ft Lauderdale in November and Holland is still accepting bookings for the transatlantic,  it will then depart FtLauderdale for a 28 days Amazon explorer itinerary… i very much doubt that those itineraries will be cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankieSue said:

Volendam is sailing from Rome to Ft Lauderdale in November and Holland is still accepting bookings for the transatlantic,  it will then depart FtLauderdale for a 28 days Amazon explorer itinerary… i very much doubt that those itineraries will be cancelled.

I wouldn't be surprised (not one iota!) if the itineraries were canceled. Our Norway cruise for May was canceled after final payment when the refugee housing came about. Then our September Med cruise was also canceled when the contract was extended, but that was before final payment. As far as I know, bookings were being accepted all along. But I do hope I'm wrong and the November sailings are a go, the Volendam is a lovely smaller ship, and we'd enjoy sailing on her again. But "twice burned", we won't be booking anything on her in the near or semi-far future! 

• Like 3

As previously posted by Frankie Sue,  Volendam is scheduled for several of Holland America's longer itineraries including Grand Voyages around South America and a 94 day RT to Australia.  Although anything is possible,  I really think she will return to service.  

We saw the former Amsterdam in Barcelona recently, now sailing for Fred Olsen, and understand they were very happy to get her at "fire sale" prices.

• Like 2

On one of the October roll calls, someone posted a letter from HAL stating that the refugees will be gone by mid-September and that their cruise is definitely taking place.  Cut and pasted from October 8 roll call. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2779081-october-8-2022-14-day-adriatic-ionian-explorer/page/2/#comment-63513558

Dear Valued Guest,

As someone who has booked a cruise on Holland America Line’s Volendam, you likely have followed news of the recent charter agreement with the Netherlands and City of Rotterdam governments for the ship to house Ukrainian families. It has been an important and commendable mission for the government, and we have been proud to play even a small role in helping these families who have been through so much.

We have confirmed that the charter will end September 14, 2022 and as such will not impact your planned voyage with us. In the 10 days following the charter’s completion, we will reposition the ship to Italy where Volendam will be readied to welcome cruising guests once again.

Volendam will be cruising the Mediterranean in the fall, followed by a season in the Americas that includes a 28-Day Amazon Explorer and a 74-day Grand South American and Antarctica Voyage, both round trip from Fort Lauderdale. If you booked a cruise on Volendam for September 24 or later, you will be sailing as planned and do not need to contact us to confirm.

We look forward to welcoming you soon on your Volendam voyage.

Sincerely,

Gus Antorcha
President, Holland America Line

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

My concern regarding the Volendam tied up in Rotterdam is her mechanical situation.  In lay up during the Covid shut down, she could exercise her machinery when needed.  Tied up and housing refugees, she can't do that.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CruiseMGM said:

I wouldn't be surprised (not one iota!) if the itineraries were canceled. Our Norway cruise for May was canceled after final payment when the refugee housing came about. Then our September Med cruise was also canceled when the contract was extended, but that was before final payment. As far as I know, bookings were being accepted all along. But I do hope I'm wrong and the November sailings are a go, the Volendam is a lovely smaller ship, and we'd enjoy sailing on her again. But "twice burned", we won't be booking anything on her in the near or semi-far future! 

I agree 100 percent.  I’m not sure why they couldn’t be canceled.  It can happen to any ship at any time.  No way would I book or make final payment on that ship period.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, boulders said:

On one of the October roll calls, someone posted a letter from HAL stating that the refugees will be gone by mid-September and that their cruise is definitely taking place.  Cut and pasted from October 8 roll call. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2779081-october-8-2022-14-day-adriatic-ionian-explorer/page/2/#comment-63513558

Dear Valued Guest,

As someone who has booked a cruise on Holland America Line’s Volendam, you likely have followed news of the recent charter agreement with the Netherlands and City of Rotterdam governments for the ship to house Ukrainian families. It has been an important and commendable mission for the government, and we have been proud to play even a small role in helping these families who have been through so much.

We have confirmed that the charter will end September 14, 2022 and as such will not impact your planned voyage with us. In the 10 days following the charter’s completion, we will reposition the ship to Italy where Volendam will be readied to welcome cruising guests once again.

Volendam will be cruising the Mediterranean in the fall, followed by a season in the Americas that includes a 28-Day Amazon Explorer and a 74-day Grand South American and Antarctica Voyage, both round trip from Fort Lauderdale. If you booked a cruise on Volendam for September 24 or later, you will be sailing as planned and do not need to contact us to confirm.

We look forward to welcoming you soon on your Volendam voyage.

Sincerely,

Gus Antorcha
President, Holland America Line

I bet we can call Gus Pinocchio about now. I’d bet my next paycheque that’s not going to happen.  He wants to keep those bookings going.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I bet we can call Gus Pinocchio about now. I’d bet my next paycheque that’s not going to happen.  He wants to keep those bookings going.  

Very interesting and surprising email from the President.  I never thought the use of the Volendam for refugees would end so soon, since financially, it is likely a very good deal for HAL.  But that email is very strongly worded so I now believe that HAL believes it will end in September.  If it doesn't, that email almost certainly opens up HAL to having to pay for passengers non-refundable travel expenses (airlines and hotels) if those cruises would get cancelled.

• Like 1

Following.  We booked Grand South America 2023  onboard  NS in February. We got the last portside Vista Suite so I think that would be a pretty full cruise already.  We need to get away from winter will be really sad if cancelled.   

10 minutes ago, Torquer said:

Very interesting and surprising email from the President.  I never thought the use of the Volendam for refugees would end so soon, since financially, it is likely a very good deal for HAL.  But that email is very strongly worded so I now believe that HAL believes it will end in September.  If it doesn't, that email almost certainly opens up HAL to having to pay for passengers non-refundable travel expenses (airlines and hotels) if those cruises would get cancelled.

We will see.  I’ve never been afraid to admit I’m wrong so I hope that’s the case.  What I don’t understand is why hal would have to pay non refundable amounts.  To me if I choose to go that route that is on me.  I’ve never understood why people book non refundable hotels.  Too many chances to lose money.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What I don’t understand is why hal would have to pay non refundable amounts.

In US law, that strongly worded email from the president of the company could take precedence over the standard contract of carriage you agree to when you book a cruise.  It could be viewed as HAL guaranteeing that the cruise will indeed take place.  Therefore, if someone purchases non-refundable airline tickets based on this email, and HAL later cancels the cruise, HAL could indeed be liable for any damages (the cost of the non-refundable airline tickets) that the passenger suffers.

I'm actually quite surprised HAL's communication/legal department would allow the president to send such an email, without any disclaimers such as "unforeseen circumstances".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

In US law, that strongly worded email from the president of the company could take precedence over the standard contract of carriage you agree to when you book a cruise.  It could be viewed as HAL guaranteeing that the cruise will indeed take place.  Therefore, if someone purchases non-refundable airline tickets based on this email, and HAL later cancels the cruise, HAL could indeed be liable for any damages (the cost of the non-refundable airline tickets) that the passenger suffers.

I'm actually quite surprised HAL's communication/legal department would allow the president to send such an email, without any disclaimers such as "unforeseen circumstances".

I bet they will worm out of that somehow.  I’ve been disappointed so many times by the things I’ve been told in my corporate life that I’ve become jaded to “promises”.  I don’t believe anything anymore until it happens.   It’s a sad place to be but my mental health depends on it.  The cold hard reality is that no one is forced to buy non refundable.  I still feel that’s a personal choice.

Edited by Florida_gal_50

It looks to me like the Westerdam itinerary beginning in October will be cancelled (if HAL follows other cruise lines in cancelling that part of the world). Perhaps the Volendam would be replaced by the Westerdam. I'm still skeptical that Volendam will ever return to carry paying passengers but like everything with cruising right now, we must wait and see.

• Like 1

When HAL recently announced that the entire fleet was back in service, I wondered about the Volendam.  It is definitely not in service right now.  This makes me believe that the ship will no longer be part of the fleet, unfortunately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I didn't claim it to be anything new, I was just sharing the news article for those interested  😉

My  VOLENDAM Nov 5, 2022 T/A booking was confirmed this week. HAL has been known to cancel cruises at the last hour simply to book a Corporate function.etc.  V’dam is getting on in years. I wouldn’t be surprised if my T/A cruise is cancelled. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I bet they will worm out of that somehow.  I’ve been disappointed so many times by the things I’ve been told in my corporate life that I’ve become jaded to “promises”.  I don’t believe anything anymore until it happens.   It’s a sad place to be but my mental health depends on it.  The cold hard reality is that no one is forced to buy non refundable.  I still feel that’s a personal choice.

In reality, It can be much more complicated. Now for MY personal experience: At the very last moment a HAL cruise was cancelled that I booked. Our Airfare/Hotel at FLL was refunded, plus of course, the cruise and generous FCC’s. IMHO,  some PAX got hosed and only received what their TRIP INSURANCE fine-print offered them. Didn’t seem fair, but that’s what happened. Strange, eh?? Let’s face reality cruisers, CCL is worth $9/Billion and change. It has $30/Billion in debt. I have not yet packed my bags for my V’dam cruise of Nov. 5, 2022, but my fingers are crossed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taters said:

When HAL recently announced that the entire fleet was back in service, I wondered about the Volendam.  It is definitely not in service right now.  This makes me believe that the ship will no longer be part of the fleet, unfortunately.

100 percent.  That’s exactly what I thought as well.  It’s very suspicious.

• Like 1