Dying before the cruise

deepurple

Hi

Does anyone know, not assume, what happens when one person from the cabin dies before boarding the ship. My mom and sil were going to be cruising in the same cabin, until my sil died. We are NOT asking for money back, or credit, and insurance will not cover a pre-existing condition. We are taking the monetary loss. (The only other two people my mom would want to be in the cabin with cannot come, so a name change is also not in the cards.)

I cannot get my mom's boarding pass because my sil is not checked in. The email from HAL this morning sounds like they could deny boarding even if she checks in at the port with more than 90 minutes to spare. I am hesitant to call HAL and inform them of the death, but will if I have to in order to get my mom's boarding pass. We leave on August 6, so I have a few weeks yet.

Essentially, I want to know that HAL is not going to charge my mom a single supplement, even though the cabin is fully paid for and we will not be pursuing a refund or credit with anyone.

Thanks

20 minutes ago, deepurple said:

Hi

Does anyone know, not assume, what happens when one person from the cabin dies before boarding the ship. My mom and sil were going to be cruising in the same cabin, until my sil died. We are NOT asking for money back, or credit, and insurance will not cover a pre-existing condition. We are taking the monetary loss. (The only other two people my mom would want to be in the cabin with cannot come, so a name change is also not in the cards.)

I cannot get my mom's boarding pass because my sil is not checked in. The email from HAL this morning sounds like they could deny boarding even if she checks in at the port with more than 90 minutes to spare. I am hesitant to call HAL and inform them of the death, but will if I have to in order to get my mom's boarding pass. We leave on August 6, so I have a few weeks yet.

Essentially, I want to know that HAL is not going to charge my mom a single supplement, even though the cabin is fully paid for and we will not be pursuing a refund or credit with anyone.

Thanks

I'm very sorry for your loss.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, deepurple said:

Hi

Thanks

I am so sorry for your loss 😞 

Yes your mom needs to be checked in sooner than the 90 minutes.  They need to clear everyone.

Did you book with a TA, PCC or HAL?

If a TA or PCC I would contact them IMMEDIATELY.  HAL needs the death certificate and your Mom will save on your SIL’s port fees if you can get this fixed up.  I hope you have one or the other but otherwise you have to contact HAL.

My husband passed away and HAL is in the process of transferring his OBC to me and removing him from the sailing.  There will be no difference to me in cost as a single I will be paying double anyways but I will save on the port fees.  That being said I am not at final payment yet.

I hope someone with more experience in this can help you.  In my mind’s eye they shouldn’t charge any more where they have the cabin fully paid for but I am no expert. 😞 

I have been told HAL is pretty good under these circumstances.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I can only relate my experience with a traveling partner who needed to cancel a B2B cruise with me.

I cancelled her first leg of the cruise and had to pay the cancellation fee, had my solo cruise refared at the current rate, saved the port fees for my partner, and ended up owing $200 more.  The second leg of the B2B, I just reported my traveling partner as a "no show" on Embarkation Day.  I paid no extra and did not have to pay the Hotel Service Charge for her.  Lesson learned.

• Like 4

First, sorry for your loss.

Next, do you have HAL insurance or third-party? I am asking because HAL treats all cancellations as CFAR. On the other hand, I do not see any coverage for single supplement.

Your situation may have some remedies depending on what kind of insurance you have. 

45 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes your mom needs to be checked in sooner than the 90 minutes.  They need to clear everyone.

If a TA or PCC I would contact them IMMEDIATELY.  HAL needs the death certificate and your Mom will save on your SIL’s port fees if you can get this fixed up.  I hope you have one or the other but otherwise you have to contact HAL.

My husband passed away and HAL is in the process of transferring his OBC to me and removing him from the sailing.  There will be no difference to me in cost as a single I will be paying double anyways but I will save on the port fees.  That being said I am not at final payment yet.

I hope someone with more experience in this can help you.  In my mind’s eye they shouldn’t charge any more where they have the cabin fully paid for but I am no expert. 😞 

I am very sorry for your loss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Babr said:

First, sorry for your loss.

Next, do you have HAL insurance or third-party? I am asking because HAL treats all cancellations as CFAR. On the other hand, I do not see any coverage for single supplement.

Your situation may have some remedies depending on what kind of insurance you have. 

Thank you. We are not going through her insurance as it was a pre-existing condition. We do not want to cancel her and have my mom pay the difference. We just want them to know she is not coming so that I can get access to my mom's boarding pass before we arrive at the port.

I am sorry for your loss.

This is something that is a battle with all the lines.  A friend of mine who has passed away recently lost his Wife weeks before a cruise on another line.  The line refused to do anything for either of them so he ate the whole bill because his grief was too great to cruise.  He vowed to never use that line again and he stuck to it.

It would be just plain decent with a death certificate that all the lines would be compassionate.  I wish you the best with this.

4 minutes ago, deepurple said:

Thank you. We are not going through her insurance as it was a pre-existing condition. We do not want to cancel her and have my mom pay the difference. We just want them to know she is not coming so that I can get access to my mom's boarding pass before we arrive at the port.

It does not sound like you are asking for much.  Whoever booked it should be able to help you get the BP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thank you. I am sorry for your loss.

We used a TA, and she is the one who told us to just tell them at the port she could not come. Once I checked my mom in and discovered I cannot access her boarding pass because her room mate has not checked in, I am concerned!

We have never had a problem with HAL before, and I hope they are very good under this circumstance. Please enjoy your cruise when you go!

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

I can only relate my experience with a traveling partner who needed to cancel a B2B cruise with me.

I cancelled her first leg of the cruise and had to pay the cancellation fee, had my solo cruise refared at the current rate, saved the port fees for my partner, and ended up owing $200 more.  The second leg of the B2B, I just reported my traveling partner as a "no show" on Embarkation Day.  I paid no extra and did not have to pay the Hotel Service Charge for her.  Lesson learned.

We planned on declaring her a no-show when we got to the port. Looks like that will not be a good idea because it will mean my mom is not checked in. I guess I better call HAL.

17 minutes ago, deepurple said:

It is a complex situation that may require notifying HAL afterall.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nymich said:

I am sorry for your loss.

This is something that is a battle with all the lines.  A friend of mine who has passed away recently lost his Wife weeks before a cruise on another line.  The line refused to do anything for either of them so he ate the whole bill because his grief was too great to cruise.  He vowed to never use that line again and he stuck to it.

It would be just plain decent with a death certificate that all the lines would be compassionate.  I wish you the best with this.

Thank you so much. I hope you are right. My husband is her executor, so we have Statement of Death certificates.

We do not want credit or a refund, we just don't want my mom charged for the whole cabin, when it is already paid for. Thank you. I hope this is easier than I am imagining.

2 minutes ago, Babr said:

As far as I can tell, HAL does not apply the pre-existing conditions element to cancellations. All are regarded as Cancel for Any Reason. There are no covered vs. non-covered reasons.

If you have other insurance, then the reason for cancellation does matter.

It is a complex situation that may require notifying HAL afterall.

Thanks. I will contact HAL next week, and keep my fingers crossed. Like I said, we do NOT want credit or a refund, we just don't want my mom to have to pay the other fare that has already been paid. We honestly do not care if any of the three of us see her port fees, or her onboard credits.

20 minutes ago, deepurple said:

Thank you. I am sorry for your loss.

We used a TA, and she is the one who told us to just tell them at the port she could not come. Once I checked my mom in and discovered I cannot access her boarding pass because her room mate has not checked in, I am concerned!

We have never had a problem with HAL before, and I hope they are very good under this circumstance. Please enjoy your cruise when you go!

Thank you.

my TA told me the opposite but my DH has benefits that can be transferred to me.  Before you call HAL - I am wondering if you should talk to your TA and see if there is anyway she can check in your SIL. (I am guessing your SIL had her own password and it is unknown)   I believe TA’s can do that.  Just have the info she needs handy.

Worth a try or a chat with your TA before you talk to HAL.  I’m glad you have one.  Let them do the heavy lifting and just tell them your concern.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, deepurple said:

Thanks. I will contact HAL next week, and keep my fingers crossed. Like I said, we do NOT want credit or a refund, we just don't want my mom to have to pay the other fare that has already been paid. We honestly do not care if any of the three of us see her port fees, or her onboard credits.

I think I misread HAL’s policy. That is why I edited my previous post. There is some language about not being able to purchase the insurance or receive benefits if one is  under treatment or unable to travel at time of purchase, but it seems that was not the case with your SIL since she had coverage.

This will take someone at HAL to sort out. I hope you are able to get this resolved in your favor.

Edited by Babr
  • Like 2

I would guess that if someone dies, HAL would refund the money after being given a death certificate.  Then they would charge the other person in the cabin at the solo rate.  If so, it is the same amount of money but you could get rid of the anxiety.  You need to talk to someone at HAL.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I would guess that if someone dies, HAL would refund the money after being given a death certificate.  Then they would charge the other person in the cabin at the solo rate.  If so, it is the same amount of money but you could get rid of the anxiety.  You need to talk to someone at HAL.  

Unfortunately, HAL has (in the past) considered this a cancel and rebook at the current promotion which could be more depending on the new rate and any charges incurred.

• Like 1

So sorry that you have to go through this "entanglement" after your loss.

I was scheduled , several years ago, to go on a cruise with a best friend who was treated for almost 5 years prior to the cruise for disease related to Agent Orange exposure.  We did have travel insurance secured from a company outside of the cruise line. He died 3 weeks prior to the cruise. I simply filled out the paperwork and submitted it along with a copy of his death certificate. His full refund went to his daughter, mine to me.

I hope you are able to work this out with HAL soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thank you.

my TA told me the opposite but my DH has benefits that can be transferred to me.  Before you call HAL - I am wondering if you should talk to your TA and see if there is anyway she can check in your SIL. (I am guessing your SIL had her own password and it is unknown)   I believe TA’s can do that.  Just have the info she needs handy.

Worth a try or a chat with your TA before you talk to HAL.  I’m glad you have one.  Let them do the heavy lifting and just tell them your concern.

I thought about checking my sil in, but...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KAKcruiser said:

I would hope a refund would not be made payable to the estate and then my mom has to pay the rest. My mom originally agreed to be her cabin mate so that my sil would not have to pay double!!!

53 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

So sorry that you have to go through this "entanglement" after your loss.

I was scheduled , several years ago, to go on a cruise with a best friend who was treated for almost 5 years prior to the cruise for disease related to Agent Orange exposure.  We did have travel insurance secured from a company outside of the cruise line. He died 3 weeks prior to the cruise. I simply filled out the paperwork and submitted it along with a copy of his death certificate. His full refund went to his daughter, mine to me.

I hope you are able to work this out with HAL soon.

My mom still wants to cruise. She is 82 and this will be her first!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, deepurple said:

I thought about checking my sil in, but...

If you can check her in and that’s your only road block - then 1) talk to your TA and then assuming she/‘he agrees 2) check your SIL in.  That makes it an easy no show and solves the problem for your mother.

I’m still thinking it is better to tell HAL but your TA hopefully knows more than I 😉 

I am confused to why she can’t check in. Each person has their own check in. I know people who have checked in at the pier.  My husband recently died and I was able to get all of his FCC transferred to me. This was on Celebrity but I am sure it will be the same on all cruise lines. I have a cruise booked for December with his name and mine both. It is cheaper than any deal I can get now. He will be a no show at the pier. 

• Like 1