29 minutes ago, notscb said:

I think when I got it on sale it was $23/day for the Key, which brings that discrepancy down and might make it worth it depending on how many folks are sailing with you and how much you value a Chops lunch at.

I think it was about that price when the recent Memorial Day and July 4th sales were going on.  But of course Voom was less, too, so that would probably still make The Key cost a proportional amount more. 

We always sail in suites, so I never buy The Key.  I do always tell people who say they are buying The Key "because it's just a few dollars more than Voom" that they need to compare its total price to the multi-device Voom price before they really decide.  Like you figured out, that "few dollars" x "number of people" x  "length of cruise" becomes expensive.  But of course some people will find value in what The Key offers and be willing to pay that price.  I won't judge because we find value in suites and pay that (ridiculous) price.

I just had the key on a trip to Alaska.  Here's my thoughts.

1) Dear god the internet was bad- but at least we had internet.  We would have booked it anyways, so eh.

2) The lunch and breakfast really were what made it for us.  I think the embarkation lunch and debarkation breakfast are the worst things about a cruise.  So this eliminated that stress.  However on some of my cruises I can buy an embarkation lunch at a specialty restaurant for $25/person.  

3) the drop off of carry on luggage was nice, but we didn't really use it except for my mom's CPAP, everything else was so expensive that we kept it with us (I think each family had 10k worth of camera gear!).

4) the extra times for stuff- never used it. We would have done it for bumper cars if the lines were insanely long, but instead we could go in the normal times.

5) Seats- they were nice, but not necessary.

6) The special effect- one member of our party is super SUPER spoiled, and she was glad she could "feel like a princess".  Quite honestly, it wasn't better service than without the key but she thought it was, and she was like "I don't like people so I can't eat with the masses" on the first day.  It made her happy.  Whatever.  If you have someone like that with you, it can make them feel better, and it may be worth it for that alone.

I'll have to ask my parents what they think, but I'm inclined to just get a first day lunch, last day room service breakfast, and internet.  And never travel with that family member again 😉

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, rudeney said:

x "number of people

I think number of people ultimately determines the value of the key versus just getting S+S for X number of devices by itself. For solo or duo cruisers, they Key holds more value than for families or groups for sure.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, celoplyr said:

5) Seats- they were nice, but not necessary.

Thank you for your thorough breakdown - very helpful! Do you mind sharing more about the Theater Seat Reservations?  I'm going on an August cruise to the Caribbean which is looking like 99% capacity, and I love the shows, so I imagine this could be a benefit for us.  

I've read different things based on ships - were seats sectioned off for The Key holders?  Or were you given early access to enter the theaters 45 minutes prior to the show?  I'd much prefer having seats held and pop in 10 minutes before the show, since waiting 45 minutes doesn't seem very VIP to me!

Edited by steevee

2 hours ago, lindacat said:

Is the Chops lunch still included.  I thought it was when I booked the Key, but now it is not listed as a benefit.  Instead it is 25% on board dining and free room service?

My cruise planner states chops lunch menu served in MDR on embarkment day.  Usually held at noon.

Pretty sure they removed free room service from benefits.

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

My cruise planner states chops lunch menu served in MDR on embarkment day.  Usually held at noon.

Pretty sure they removed free room service from benefits.

That's funny.  I bought the key for my niece for her honeymoon cruise when it was on sale months ago.  At the time I priced it out and with the Chops lunch and the internet it was only an extra $30 for the Key.  

I was checking the price again this week and this is what it says in the planner

OVERVIEW

Introducing The Key, your premier access to exclusive experiences during your vacation. Start your cruise worry-free with priority access into the terminal within your booked arrival time. Once onboard, enjoy a personal drop-off service that delivers your carry-on bags directly to your stateroom. Follow this up with 25% off all onboard dining purchases, along with complimentary room service for the duration of your cruise. Fit more into your vacation than ever before with private time at onboard activities, including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.

Start your day off right with priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports of call. Then score early access for our onboard shows. Share it all in real time with a VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet package. End your adventure at your own pace with an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

Summary of your benefits:
• Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1. Note: there is no priority queue in the ART test area.
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm to 2:00pm.
• Complimentary room service for the duration of the cruise.
• 25% off onboard dining purchases.
• Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.
• Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
• Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70 (reservation is needed).
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet.
• On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*When you receive your SeaPass card, it will have an icon confirming your purchase of The Key. The Key must be purchased prior to sailing by each guest age 6 or older assigned to the same stateroom.

**These benefits are a part of our healthy return to service, and as such, they are subject to change.

Additional Terms & Conditions apply.

On 7/11/2022 at 3:14 AM, brillohead said:

I've had that happen before, too.  It works for me as a solo cruiser.  

But if dealing with more than one passenger, it's cheaper to buy a multi-device internet package and share it instead of paying for The Key for each person.

Not in my case. For the B2B cruises I have booked on Explorer for next year, the 2-device Surf & Stream is £273 for each week.  The Key for both of us is £232 for each week ... an £82 saving over the 2 weeks.

On 7/12/2022 at 3:18 PM, lindacat said:

That's funny.  I bought the key for my niece for her honeymoon cruise when it was on sale months ago.  At the time I priced it out and with the Chops lunch and the internet it was only an extra $30 for the Key.  

I was checking the price again this week and this is what it says in the planner

OVERVIEW

Introducing The Key, your premier access to exclusive experiences during your vacation. Start your cruise worry-free with priority access into the terminal within your booked arrival time. Once onboard, enjoy a personal drop-off service that delivers your carry-on bags directly to your stateroom. Follow this up with 25% off all onboard dining purchases, along with complimentary room service for the duration of your cruise. Fit more into your vacation than ever before with private time at onboard activities, including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.

Start your day off right with priority departure from ship-to-shore at tender ports of call. Then score early access for our onboard shows. Share it all in real time with a VOOM® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet package. End your adventure at your own pace with an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

Summary of your benefits:
• Priority access into the terminal (within booked arrival time) on Day 1. Note: there is no priority queue in the ART test area.
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off your carry-on bags in the Main Dining Room until 1:30pm to 2:00pm.
• Complimentary room service for the duration of the cruise.
• 25% off onboard dining purchases.
• Private time at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more.
• Priority departure at tender ports of call from ship-to-shore.
• Seats in the exclusive VIP seating section at shows in the Main Theatre, Aqua Theater, Studio B and Two70 (reservation is needed).
• VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet.
• On debarkation day, enjoy an exclusive à la carte breakfast and choice departure.

*When you receive your SeaPass card, it will have an icon confirming your purchase of The Key. The Key must be purchased prior to sailing by each guest age 6 or older assigned to the same stateroom.

**These benefits are a part of our healthy return to service, and as such, they are subject to change.

Additional Terms & Conditions apply.

It depends on WHEN you purchased The Key.  There was a short period of time when, due to "social distancing" protocols, they weren't doing the Chops lunch on embarkation day and instead offered the free room service/specialty dining discount.  Shortly afterward, they re-enacted the Chops embarkation lunch and discontinued the room service/specialty discount.  

So if you purchased during the period of time when the room service/specialty discount was in effect, that's the offer you get when you finally sail.  

I had it both ways -- I purchased two Keys for two different cruises, both were on sale for like a dollar more than Voom Stream.  The cruises were only a month apart, but one was purchased under the free room service rule and the other was when Chops lunch was in effect at the time of the purchase.  

1 hour ago, renza said:

The key is a complete waste of money unless you are solo. 

I guess that may be the case when comparing it to the price of Voom, but for people who want the other benefits of the key, like not waiting in lines, luggage valet, etc., it may be worth it.  I know some people say spending the extra money to stay in a suite is not worth it, but I disagree.  It's all about what people want out of their cruise experiences.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

I guess that may be the case when comparing it to the price of Voom, but for people who want the other benefits of the key, like not waiting in lines, luggage valet, etc., it may be worth it.  I know some people say spending the extra money to stay in a suite is not worth it, but I disagree.  It's all about what people want out of their cruise experiences.

Luggage Valet isn't a benefit of The Key.

You're maybe thinking of delivery of hand-carried luggage on embarkation day, which is completely different than Luggage Valet. 

9 hours ago, rudeney said:

You still wait in line, actually I get on any of the oasis class always in 45 min from car to on ship. Rolling my carry on to park cafe to eat lunch and book my shows in not a big deal. There is zero benefit of the key. 

So just to be clear, The Key includes internet for each guest and not one device per cabin?  I was just on the line with RCCL and they said that the key is one device per cabin. 

9 hours ago, brillohead said:

Luggage Valet isn't a benefit of The Key.

You're maybe thinking of delivery of hand-carried luggage on embarkation day, which is completely different than Luggage Valet. 

You are right - thanks for the correction!

6 minutes ago, Lupush said:

So just to be clear, The Key includes internet for each guest and not one device per cabin?  I was just on the line with RCCL and they said that the key is one device per cabin. 

It's one device per person who buys The Key (which has to be purchased for everyone in the same cabin age 6 and older).  Each benefit of The Key is per each person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renza said:

You still wait in line, actually I get on any of the oasis class always in 45 min from car to on ship. Rolling my carry on to park cafe to eat lunch and book my shows in not a big deal. There is zero benefit of the key. 

That's your opinion based on your experiences and you are entitled to it.  But there are obviously people who find that it has some value, whether it's bypassing long lines at the port (which you may not encounter, but many others do), or priority tendring, activities reserved for The Key holder at the rock wall and FlowRider, a better lunch at Chops on embarkation day, etc. I would not buy it, but I also would not call it worthless - just that it's cost does not meet my personal perception of its value.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, rudeney said:

That's your opinion based on your experiences and you are entitled to it.  But there are obviously people who find that it has some value, whether it's bypassing long lines at the port (which you may not encounter, but many others do), or priority tendring, activities reserved for The Key holder at the rock wall and FlowRider, a better lunch at Chops on embarkation day, etc. I would not buy it, but I also would not call it worthless - just that it's cost does not meet my personal perception of its value.

I think I'm going to bite for my upcoming voyage. My reason for booking RCCL was for the Flowrider which my Son can't get enough of (went on it 30 times in one day at Turnberry a few weeks ago).  Flowrider reserved hours and the internet makes it worth it to me at 22.99/day.

34 minutes ago, Lupush said:

I think I'm going to bite for my upcoming voyage. My reason for booking RCCL was for the Flowrider which my Son can't get enough of (went on it 30 times in one day at Turnberry a few weeks ago).  Flowrider reserved hours and the internet makes it worth it to me at 22.99/day.

An alternative is to book "private lessons" on  the FlowRider.  I've done this twice and once I was in a group of 4, another time, two cancelled, so it was me and one other person.  It was well worth it for an hour of full access with no waiting - plus they train you for stand-up surfing, which I mastered and remained upright for a good 45 seconds!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lupush said:

The flowrider you get 1 maybe 2 times in the hole week that u get an hour. The hour is during a time nobody would be there anyway. 

On 7/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, steevee said:

Thank you for your thorough breakdown - very helpful! Do you mind sharing more about the Theater Seat Reservations?  I'm going on an August cruise to the Caribbean which is looking like 99% capacity, and I love the shows, so I imagine this could be a benefit for us.  

I've read different things based on ships - were seats sectioned off for The Key holders?  Or were you given early access to enter the theaters 45 minutes prior to the show?  I'd much prefer having seats held and pop in 10 minutes before the show, since waiting 45 minutes doesn't seem very VIP to me!

Seats were sectioned off (on Quantum) for key/suites and I think pinnacle.  They checked your seapass card before letting you in, and we showed up ~10-15 minutes beforehand.  Quite honestly they weren't "house seats"- the really good ones about 5-10 rows back, but they were right behind the sound booth.  The people next to me on one show had a pole in the way.  There were no seats reserved in 270.  Make sure to get there early enough to get a drink for the show!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lupush said:

As someone else said, you will have one hour of dedicated Flowrider time for the entire cruise, and it's shared with everyone else who also has The Key, typically at 8am on one day.  

Depending on how many people are in your group, it would probably be considerably cheaper to get a multi-device Voom package and then purchase group lessons on the Flowrider.