Advice for first time MSC cruiser

JP350

MSC is offering a deal that I just can’t refuse over the Christmas break. Merivillgia is doing a 5 night cruise to ocean cay and costa maya. This will be my first MSC cruise, but not nearly first cruise. We’ve taken 24 cruises 22 of which have been with rccl. So you could say we’re loyal to Royal. Are there any tips or people who have been on rccl who would like to share insight on the differences. MSC’s five night is 800 bucks with a 100 dollar onboard credit, but rccl is offering a oasis of the seas cruise 4 nights to coco cay and back for 1200 we’re leaning to rccl, but would love fore you insight and opinion.

We are regular RC cruisers, but did MSC cruises which became our favorites.  The biggest difference, IMO, is that a great number of MSC passengers are not American, which makes the cruise feel much more like being "away" than a RC one does.

Agree that you should study the Experiences.  We sail Bella, which is the cheapest. Part of our decision for Bella was that it gives us traditional dining, rather than anytime.

Ocean Cay is stunning.  As we don't like the amusement park vibe that is now Coco Cay, we would choose MSC for their private island every time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JP350 said:

MSC is offering a deal that I just can’t refuse over the Christmas break. Merivillgia is doing a 5 night cruise to ocean cay and costa maya. This will be my first MSC cruise, but not nearly first cruise. We’ve taken 24 cruises 22 of which have been with rccl. So you could say we’re loyal to Royal. Are there any tips or people who have been on rccl who would like to share insight on the differences. MSC’s five night is 800 bucks with a 100 dollar onboard credit, but rccl is offering a oasis of the seas cruise 4 nights to coco cay and back for 1200 we’re leaning to rccl, but would love fore you insight and opinion.

Use a travel agent or run. If you can find one who will deal with them.

They have the worst IT and customer service.  

If you need to call they most likely will screw up your booking.

They may also take your cabin away or downgrade you and offer no reduction in fare.

I had my Yacht club Grand suite taken away and they put me in a regular balcony cabin on deck 8 with no reduction in fare.

I only use a TA now for MSC.

Of the ones I have booked, they have changed the sailing date, taken my picked YC room away and given a guarantee.

On another currently booked the fare was mysteriously changed but TA already fixed that.

And on another currently booked it was cancelled for no reason and TA got that back as well.

And these were TA booked.

MSC is definitely an international experience with announcements in 5-6 languages. I love it. The meal choices, especially at the buffet, are more varied as well. They've come along way in trying to become more Americanized for cruises that depart here. Crew is much friendlier than they originally were when they first entered the U.S. market. Keep in mind that the Bella category (the cheapest) no longer lets you pick your cabin up front; MSC will assign it prior to your sailing. If you want to actually pick your cabin at the time of booking, you'll need to go above Bella but it's usually not much more. Once you pick it, stick with it. It's when you contact MSC U.S. reservations that things can get messed up. So before yo select your cabin, study the deck plans so you know what is above and below you that might create noise. We've done 8 cruises now with MSC and really like them.

• Like 1

The lines are pretty darn similar. MSC has even “stolen” some of the best ship design elements from RCL. 

First thing, apply for status match

Go into the production shows with lowered expectations. You may love the shows. You may not. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. 

Have high expectations of anything put on by the entertainment team. Lots of dance parties. Everyone is welcome. Go and have fun.

It’s an Italian cruise line. Expect a bit of chaos. 

One nice thing about MSC is that there are few things you absolutely must sign up for right away. The restaurants will be there when you want. No North Star to get booked up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

MSC is definitely an international experience with announcements in 5-6 languages. I love it. The meal choices, especially at the buffet, are more varied as well. They've come along way in trying to become more Americanized for cruises that depart here. Crew is much friendlier than they originally were when they first entered the U.S. market. Keep in mind that the Bella category (the cheapest) no longer lets you pick your cabin up front; MSC will assign it prior to your sailing. If you want to actually pick your cabin at the time of booking, you'll need to go above Bella but it's usually not much more. Once you pick it, stick with it. It's when you contact MSC U.S. reservations that things can get messed up. So before yo select your cabin, study the deck plans so you know what is above and below you that might create noise. We've done 8 cruises now with MSC and really like them.

What was the issue with the crew when msc first started sailing. I’ve heard that from a lot of people, and what’s the deal with the cabin assignment. Is it better for me to pick my cabin or let them chose

3 hours ago, wcook said:

The lines are pretty darn similar. MSC has even “stolen” some of the best ship design elements from RCL. 

First thing, apply for status match

Go into the production shows with lowered expectations. You may love the shows. You may not. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. 

Have high expectations of anything put on by the entertainment team. Lots of dance parties. Everyone is welcome. Go and have fun.

It’s an Italian cruise line. Expect a bit of chaos. 

One nice thing about MSC is that there are few things you absolutely must sign up for right away. The restaurants will be there when you want. No North Star to get booked up. 

I know they have promenade slides rccl much. I need to apply for status match I’ll be diamond  plus by the time this cruise comes. I’ve heard that about the entertainment, but I love circ de sole so I think I’ll like it. I’m really excited for the deck parties. How are the cabins and cabin stewards compared to rccl.

I don’t pay a lot of attention to cabin. If you put me in one and asked if I was on MSC or RCL, the only way I could tell is by color: MSC uses a lot of red, RCL a lot of teal. 

Cabin attendants on MSC do their jobs and are friendly in terms of saying hello, waving in the hallway, etc. But on my last cruise, I never learned my steward’s names (I’m sure he told me on day one.) 

On RCL I’ve had cabin stewards that I know not only their names, but their kids names. I’ve had RCL stewards give my mom a big hug and console her when she had a bad day. And I’ve had RCL stewards constantly remind me of how great a job they were doing taking care of me (ie an extra tip and special mention on the survey sure would be nice.)

11 hours ago, wcook said:

Cabin attendants on MSC do their jobs and are friendly in terms of saying hello, waving in the hallway, etc. But on my last cruise, I never learned my steward’s names (I’m sure he told me on day one.) 

On RCL I’ve had cabin stewards that I know not only their names, but their kids names. I’ve had RCL stewards give my mom a big hug and console her when she had a bad day. And I’ve had RCL stewards constantly remind me of how great a job they were doing taking care of me (ie an extra tip and special mention on the survey sure would be nice.)

This was something I noticed too and was going to add to this thread. I've sailed Carnival, my friend NCL and we both have had your experience.    I found out after that on MSC they operate in a more European way, where the cabin steward is "invisible".  The difference is intentional.  I didn't mind at all.  My friend did. 

I have not sailed RC but sailed Carnival.  I think most people here noted things I would have said. 

From what I am told, book through a TA.  I talked to two on my cruise who work with MSC and say they don't have an issue but have heard of people booking directly who have.  Plus I've seen posts on here. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JP350 said:

What was the issue with the crew when msc first started sailing. I’ve heard that from a lot of people, and what’s the deal with the cabin assignment. Is it better for me to pick my cabin or let them chose

When MSC first began sailing in the American market, Reception desk crew members tended to be unsmiling and did not go out of their way to meet your requests. It was a feeling of indifference. Room stewards did tend to be invisible. It's hard to remember exactly because our first couple MSC cruises were in 2010 and 2015. Knowing they're competing with American cruise lines, they've up'd their game. Everyone is much friendlier and they're trying to meet your requirements. As for room stewards, our last couple were very friendly and wanting to chit chat whenever we were coming and going through the hallways. Heck, they worked on other cruise lines prior to MSC so they know their role and how to make extra gratuities.

I prefer to pick my own cabin. I study the deck plans and always pick a cabin that has other cabins above and below me. If you let the cruise line pick your cabin, you could end up above or below the theater, pool deck, disco or music lounges, all-night buffet, etc. No matter the soundproofing, you will hear those things if you're just one floor away. MSC changed their pricing scheme last year and their lead prices are called Bella which are Guarantee cabins. For about $40pp more on a 7nt cruise, I'd rather decide where I'll be staying.

Remember, you are not on RCCL.

Crew and staff are professional and courteous. They, however, are not obsequious and have no need to beg for that five star rating as tipping is discouraged (there is a daily service charge automatically assessed on your account).

If one wished to delete or reduce the service charge, the specifics of your reason for doing so will be needed. Just wishing to do so will not be accepted.

Guest Relations staff will efficiently deal with any issues or requests. Do not, however, start your conversation with the whine, "On Carnival (NCL, Royal Caribbean)...." They will immediately remind you that you are not on Carnival (NCL, RCCL).

Once you have booked a cabin and fare, do not try the fare churning that some think is a part of cruising (make sure you read the passenger contract on the website).  Many of the complaints about MSC here on CC about cabins and fares are from those who wanted to fare churn or obtain upgrades without realizing that on MSC, the refaring is considered a cancellation of the original booking. Also, do realize that like any other line, a ship can be chartered  and that may impact your choice of cabin.

Make sure any credit card you link to your account does not have a foreign transaction fee or be prepared for the fee.  Every charge is run through the French bank used by MSC for all its itineraries (US included). Warn your credit card that the preauthorization for the charges on board will be from the French bank. , It will stop the request from being denied.

Entertainment on board MSC is international in nature (and maybe a tad too sophisticated for those not use to opera on a cruise ship).

While MSC does provide food for those passengers afraid to go outside their comfort zone at the front of the buffet, do try the various offering from other cuisines from around the world. Remember that the Italian food on board is actually Italian. Campania is the region that influences most of the recipes used on board.

Fans of Pizza Hut, Olive Garden and other quasi Italian US chains may be upset by the Italian offerings (hint: spaghetti and meat balls is not served in Italy). 

• Like 10

55 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

One food hint for anyone who has not yet discovered them at the MSC breakfast buffet: the ooey, gooey piping hot sticky buns that are usually found on the pizza bar.

They are large enough to share.

And there are some with cream cheese icing, and some without. Oh my, I just can't wait for my next MSC cruise.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bring coral shoes to their private island, lots of small rocks at the entrance of the beach. The rest is the same, if you sail in US most likely announcements will be in english and spanish. I do not remember more than 1-2 day, so I do not know what people are complaining about. If you book your bella or fantastica rates like majority of people you can disregard the multiple comments on these boards from the yacht club megasuite guys who had ruined cruises because captain did not visit their suite on day 2 at 10am and their butler ran out of tissue to wipe the tears while they were on the VIP line calling their personal TA. Sorry for the sarcasm... and yes, do not forget the shoes

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Bring coral shoes to their private island, lots of small rocks at the entrance of the beach. The rest is the same, if you sail in US most likely announcements will be in english and spanish. I do not remember more than 1-2 day, so I do not know what people are complaining about. If you book your bella or fantastica rates like majority of people you can disregard the multiple comments on these boards from the yacht club megasuite guys who had ruined cruises because captain did not visit their suite on day 2 at 10am and their butler ran out of tissue to wipe the tears while they were on the VIP line calling their personal TA. Sorry for the sarcasm... and yes, do not forget the shoes

I sense a lot of not so latent hostility!!🤣

5 minutes ago, Bobbiegentry said:

I sense a lot of not so latent hostility!!🤣

Nah... I really enjoy these posts: "who else should I tip?" "If you are not in a yacht club you might as well swim behind the boat". So much money could be made on human vanity. It is awesome

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:32 PM, Homosassa said:

Remember, you are not on RCCL.

Crew and staff are professional and courteous. They, however, are not obsequious and have no need to beg for that five star rating as tipping is discouraged (there is a daily service charge automatically assessed on your account).

If one wished to delete or reduce the service charge, the specifics of your reason for doing so will be needed. Just wishing to do so will not be accepted.

Guest Relations staff will efficiently deal with any issues or requests. Do not, however, start your conversation with the whine, "On Carnival (NCL, Royal Caribbean)...." They will immediately remind you that you are not on Carnival (NCL, RCCL).

Once you have booked a cabin and fare, do not try the fare churning that some think is a part of cruising (make sure you read the passenger contract on the website).  Many of the complaints about MSC here on CC about cabins and fares are from those who wanted to fare churn or obtain upgrades without realizing that on MSC, the refaring is considered a cancellation of the original booking. Also, do realize that like any other line, a ship can be chartered  and that may impact your choice of cabin.

Make sure any credit card you link to your account does not have a foreign transaction fee or be prepared for the fee.  Every charge is run through the French bank used by MSC for all its itineraries (US included). Warn your credit card that the preauthorization for the charges on board will be from the French bank. , It will stop the request from being denied.

Entertainment on board MSC is international in nature (and maybe a tad too sophisticated for those not use to opera on a cruise ship).

While MSC does provide food for those passengers afraid to go outside their comfort zone at the front of the buffet, do try the various offering from other cuisines from around the world. Remember that the Italian food on board is actually Italian. Campania is the region that influences most of the recipes used on board.

Fans of Pizza Hut, Olive Garden and other quasi Italian US chains may be upset by the Italian offerings (hint: spaghetti and meat balls is not served in Italy). 

That's it, @Homosassa, many thanks!... Sadly there is a crowd here on CC, and at a large distance whom aren't able to understand rule differentiation. Surely tastes are subjective. I understand the ones whom doesn't like a product for a given legitimate reason. Discussing Industry standards is another subject though!... Pretty much, IMHO, as a former market analyst both MSC and RCI fully fulfill all the "mainstream" cruise industry standards, or if you prefer, such a 4* European land hotel. Both of them go even a little bit further on their offerings. So; now, they perform it in very different ways. Then; it is a question of subjective likes and personal needs. For me, RCI only wins on an Oasis class ship. Without that extra WOW factor, mostly made out on that superb entertainment scheme and the larger buffet offerings, MSC becomes quite easily a superior product. A different one, but superior. In what? Let me just tell a detail that makes a huge difference: Little to no up sell products up sell during your cruise. It might to be of no importance for most, but, holiday time for me should to be a relaxing time, not one where I'm being "pestered" to buy extra things. On my unique RCI cruise on Allure the art action and the specialty restaurant guys were out of this world ridiculous, trying to up sell their stuff... On MSC the unique up sell I run into comes from the photographers onboard. A nice "no" suffixes.

Have a nice day!...

• Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 5:41 PM, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

MSC is definitely an international experience with announcements in 5-6 languages

This may be changing, or they are just trying it out on Seashore. Announcements are in English only (with possibly exception of safety related ones).

On 7/15/2022 at 10:32 AM, Homosassa said:

I’ve only done 3 cruises so far on MSC (one coming up end of the month), so admittedly a rookie. But I’ve never had any charges processed from a French bank, or any such issue. I heartily agree with everything else you said in your post.

Re entertainment .. MSC always uses canned music for their production shows. Royal and Celebrity occasionally do. MSC says this allows them to pay more for their singers and dancers, and they do seem to be one notch up in talent.

Re Ocean Cay .. my favorite cruise line private “island”. It reminds me of Labadee and CocoCay before they got turned into gaudy amusement parks.

Edited by publicpersona
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

This may be changing, or they are just trying it out on Seashore. Announcements are in English only (with possibly exception of safety related ones).

I'm not positive. I've sailed on Seashore, Virtuosa & Seaview in the past year and the announcements were in numerous languages. Perhaps they alter the languages they use based on the known nationalities of the passengers on board.

3 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

I'm not positive. I've sailed on Seashore, Virtuosa & Seaview in the past year and the announcements were in numerous languages. Perhaps they alter the languages they use based on the known nationalities of the passengers on board.

I’ll take your word for it. I was going by a recent YouTube review of Seashore where they made special mention of it. But I’ll know for sure in a couple weeks when I am on it.