Bus from Rome to Civitavecchia

Kelownadon

10 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

Does anyone know if there is actual bus service (i.e., large buses like Greyhound) departing Rome and going to catch a cruise in Civitavecchia? If so, please provide details which will be greatly appreciated. 

If you’re staying pre-Cruise in Rome, have your hotel concierge arrange a private transfer.

Cruise lines offer transfers.  There is also a train that runs.  When we have gone in and out of Civitavecchia, we have used a private car transfer Romecabs.com   We took the train once while there on a day trip, easy to do without luggage.  The train station is several blocks from the port and the port is large, even with a shuttle bus.  We did a ship transfer once, while less expensive than private car transfer, we decided we preferred the private car transfer with luggage.  

There is such a bus; it runs from Termini to the port of Civitavecchia main drop off. From there you'd have to transfer to the port bus to get inside the port to your actual ship. The cost is 15 euro. 

You can can read more in this post:  

(In case it doesn't take you to the specific post, it's post #11 in the thread....)

The basic regionale train would be cheaper than the bus, but at least on the bus you'd be guaranteed a seat and you'd only have to transfer your luggage once, at the port.

For detailed questions such as this one, it's best to post them on the Ports of Call Forum -- there are several experienced travelers answering questions there.

• Like 1

You might want to talk things up on your roll call -- we have stayed in Rome several times before sailing from CV - and have shared car service from our hotel with others staying nearby -- it is the most comfortable way to go -- no hassle getting to the train - or from the CV station to the pier.  We have regularly teamed up with others - once with two other couples at the same hotel with us --- and several times with others staying nearby.

We've used the train--with luggage--and it went o but definitely a hassle contending with stairs and bags..  We've also used car services, especially Bob's Limo, which has shared and private cars/vans--not just Limo's, despite the name.  

It sounds like the bus service would be fine and maybe less work dragging luggage around, once on the bus, as well as having a seat--on the train we stood for a short time until seats opened up.

15 hours ago, Kelownadon said:

Does anyone know if there is actual bus service (i.e., large buses like Greyhound) departing Rome and going to catch a cruise in Civitavecchia? If so, please provide details which will be greatly appreciated. 

Ask/Research on the Italy ports of call forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

There was  a few years ago.  The buses left from the far of Termini station.  Very frequent...at least when we took one. More frequent than the train.  We were on our way into Termini when we saw the buses lined up.  So we decided to try it.

We also took a bus from Civ to Rome.  The made one stop, then we got off at the next near St. Peters. I assume that it carried on to Termini.

Perhaps someone on the Rome tripadvisor forum could tell you if they are still running.

With the caveat that it was pre-Covid, the deal arranged by the concierge of a very small boutique hotel was $120 euros for a six person van belonging to a colleague. Only downside: driver has one to two other pickups before heading out. $20 pp? Not bad for eliminating the Greyhound factor.

Fast forward to this past May. We were doing an embarkation from Stockholm. Our standard practice is to research tour/transfer providers (on or own and via pre/post cruise hotel concierges) in order to put together a custom package of private/semi-private transfers and tours. On this occasion, our full day semi-private tour guide was willing to pick us up at ARN on our arrival and charged only the rate of a taxi. We paid the going rate for two on the semi-private (7 person tour w/ driver/guide) all day tour the next day. On the third day, same guide took us to the ship at a bonus $0 cost.

Another example: I once found a great guide in Santiago- similar situation (though this was a private tour - 1/2 day Santiago and next full day Valpo). Transfer to Valpo was discounted since he wanted to visit and stay with family there. And ship dropoff in day 3 was complimentary in his way back to Santiago.

Admittedly, this approach takes some research time and negotiating skill. But, it can be done (not every time but enough to make trying it worth while). BTW, the right attitude and interactions while working with these folks can work wonders. Fortunately, having grown up in Brooklyn, had many good benefits not the least of which was learning (at a very young age) to “never pay retail.”

Two suggestions for folks wanting to think a bit out of the box: Look for cultural centers in/near your home town that are focused on your destination country. They will often have travel programs and their travel coordinators are willing to share connections when you’re “in transit” to a cruise and are only able to be there a couple of nights.

Less available to the “average Joe,” but still doable if your professional endeavors ever have/had you interacting with the Dept. of State, is connecting with the Cultural

Attaché of US embassies/consulates wherever you’re headed. Those folks can make all sorts of recommendations that aren’t readily found on Trip Advisor.

And let me finish with my favorite travel bus story: 

Once arrived (work) at Nadi Airport in Fiji and the connecting “puddle jumper” down island to Suva was booked full. Gate guy suggested the bus since it really wasn’t “that” far.

Headed over to the bus lady and asked for a ticket to which she said “Local or Express?” I asked what the drive  time difference was to Suva. “Exactly the same. They both make the same stops” she answered. “So what’s the difference?” I asked.

Her answer: “The Express has no animals.”

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You left out judgements.      

15 euro is a pretty good deal for that trip.  If we get back, which I hope we do, I would look at that option.   

When you consider that you have to get yourself and your luggage to Termini to catch the bus, and effect a comparable transition from the CV bus stop to your ship, the deal comes to a bit more.  Also, when you consider that the overall point of the exercise is to have a good time, taking the time to explore alternatives like shared car service is certainly an option worth pursuing.

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

When you consider that you have to get yourself and your luggage to Termini to catch the bus, and effect a comparable transition from the CV bus stop to your ship, the deal comes to a bit more.  Also, when you consider that the overall point of the exercise is to have a good time, taking the time to explore alternatives like shared car service is certainly an option worth pursuing.

We have made that trip by car several times.  Mainly because of the ease.   In fact it is the only way we have gone to Civit port from Rome and FCO, so I am familiar.    I would still check out the bus.  If it looks like it will work, great.   We have an upcoming trip involving transfer from LHR to Southampton.   We have decided to take the public bus this time.  I think it is about $20.   I seldom have a bad time, so it is all good.  

18 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We have made that trip by car several times.  Mainly because of the ease.   In fact it is the only way we have gone to Civit port from Rome and FCO, so I am familiar.    I would still check out the bus.  If it looks like it will work, great.   We have an upcoming trip involving transfer from LHR to Southampton.   We have decided to take the public bus this time.  I think it is about $20.   I seldom have a bad time, so it is all good.  

LHR to Southampton is quite different.  If you are staying in Rome (otherwise, you would be talking about airport to CV) you would have to get to the bus depot, and then from the CV bus stop to the pier— those extra steps, hauling luggage, makes investing in car service rather attractive.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

LHR to Southampton is quite different.  If you are staying in Rome (otherwise, you would be talking about airport to CV) you would have to get to the bus depot, and then from the CV bus stop to the pier— those extra steps, hauling luggage, makes investing in car service rather attractive.

Getting around Rome is pretty easy, so I wouldn't worry about getting to termini.   Not sure about getting around CV.  I agree, hiring a car is a very good way to make the transfer.  But (there is always a but) I have an adventurous spirit.  

Thank you for all the replies. It doesn’t appear the kind of large bus we are looking for that goes from downtown Rome to the port of Civitevecchia currently exists. I know they are all over the place when you get off the cruise ship as we have taken one in the past. I must point out the reason we are looking for a simple bus ride is we have done the train to Civitevecchia a number of times and my wife now refuses to go up and down the stupid stairs at the Civitevecchia train station with our luggage given our age.

I looked at the Sit Bus Shuttle and it appears it only goes from Civitevecchia to Rome. 

Another suggestion mentioned a bus from the Termini Station in Rome but that doesn’t appear to go to Civitevecchia. From what I can see it only goes to Fiumicino which is considerably south of Civitevecchia. 

We have never tried a ride share in a shuttle van and may opt for that solution or we may have to get a van for ourselves. Another option is Celebrity Cruises offers a 5 hour tour of Rome then a drive to the Civitevecchia cruise port. It’s not cheap and it covers pretty much everything we have already seen but it looks like what we will probably do unless we find a better option. 

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Getting around Rome is pretty easy, so I wouldn't worry about getting to termini.   Not sure about getting around CV.  I agree, hiring a car is a very good way to make the transfer.  But (there is always a but) I have an adventurous spirit.  

It is easy to get around Rome - the A and B Metro lines are great - and we took the time to print out maps of the tram lines to pre plan travel  (you get to see a lot more and generally less crowded) — I never was comfortable with the busses - there are so many different routes : hard to be sure which bus goes where -  and a number of times when we did ride them they would suddenly go out of service - unclear whether it was mechanical problem or job action, but it happened frequently enough to make me swear off.

15 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

I must point out the reason we are looking for a simple bus ride is we have done the train to Civitevecchia a number of times and my wife now refuses to go up and down the stupid stairs at the Civitevecchia train station with our luggage given our age.

There's one bit of good news, they now have elevators at the Civitavecchia station.

26 minutes ago, Kelownadon said:

Thank you for all the replies. It doesn’t appear the kind of large bus we are looking for that goes from downtown Rome to the port of Civitevecchia currently exists.

I looked at the Sit Bus Shuttle and it appears it only goes from Civitevecchia to Rome. 

The Sit bus does go from Rome to Civitavecchia.  It starts near Termini (Piazza Indipendenza), makes a stop in the Vatican area (Via Crescenzio 2), then continues on to the port.  

Official Bus Civitavecchia Harbour - Rome City Centre (sitbusshuttle.com)

Edited by euro cruiser

I looked at the sitbusshuttle.com website that you referred to and it looks like it only has a bus leaving the cruise port in the morning and returning from Rome to the cruise port at 5:15 pm. Problem is my cruise departs at 5 pm so no good. 

How do I confirm that the Civitevecchia train station does in fact have new elevators such that people don’t have to walk up and down the stairs anymore? 

• Like 1

Okay, just so we're clear for other readers.  There is a Sit bus from Rome to Civitavecchia, it's just too late in the day for you (departs the Termini area at 15:30 (3:30 PM), stops in the Vatican area, then arrives to the port at 16:45 (4:45 PM).

As for the station, what do you require for confirmation?

Civitavecchia, finalmente in funzione gli ascensori della stazione • Terzo Binario News

Civitavecchia (rfi.it)  (click on Accessibilita binari for details)

Comitato Pendolari : "Attivati ascensori della stazione di Civitavecchia" (baraondanews.it)

• Thanks 1

Thank you euro cruiser. Took a bit of digging to get the text translated but it looks like people finally have the option to take elevators instead of the stairs. Looks like problem solved, we will take the train. Just hope it’s not on a day when the trains are on strike haha.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

There's one bit of good news, they now have elevators at the Civitavecchia station.

Our experience with train station elevators for track subway passages over many years  is that they are out of order about 50 percent of the time.  Do not count on them working..we certainly do not.

Very different for us since we only have one carry on bag each.  It would be much more difficult if you had large, heavier, or multiple bags and/or could not physically handle your bags.

Edited by iancal

Having to bet on the trains running properly AND the station elevators operating, added to the hassle (and cost) of getting from your hotel to Termini and getting from the CV station to your ship, might make considering a car service direct from your hotel to the ship an attractive option — particularly if you can line up one or more other passengers staying at (or near) your hotel to share.  Talk it up on your cruise roll call.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Having to bet on the trains running properly AND the station elevators operating, added to the hassle (and cost) of getting from your hotel to Termini and getting from the CV station to your ship, might make considering a car service direct from your hotel to the ship an attractive option — particularly if you can line up one or more other passengers staying at (or near) your hotel to share.  Talk it up on your cruise roll call.

I have to agree with this.  We did do Citavecchia to Rome on the train once and it was fine, if somthing of a hassle, but now (ten years older, also) we'd arrange either a private or shared ride.  So much easier and the cost isn't all that much compared to the downsides mentioned above.