CDC Ends Cruise Line Program as of 7/18/22

Btimmer

I see Azamara just ended embarkation testing effective 7-25.  Vax still required.  The article did not specifically mention the US but it comes right on the heels of yesterdays CDC news.   Buckle up everyone!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Azamara just removed embarkation testing.

Interesting as Azamara has so many cruises that are not US-based. 

One thing I have noticed in following posts here on CC is that finding testing places in some areas of embarkation in Europe is getting more difficult as more places that opened up during the height of COVID testing/restrictions have closed or cut back on locations.

18 hours ago, carolina_yankee said:

Hopefully this means that cruise lines will offer you the option of staying in your cabin. (I do think the option of moving should be given for protection of other family members).  I do think testing before cruising is wise, but I wouldn’t complain if mandatory testing were eliminated.

I am curious about your statement of 'staying in your cabin'. I was aware that we had to stay in our cabins at all.... please, clarify. 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

HAL is a business.  They can require masking if they wish. They can require a dress code if they wish.

They require but do not enforce. In March, masks were required in several venues. Folks were not complying. I was told there was nothing management could do. If folks didn’t want to mask they couldn’t make them. So exactly what is the point of requirements??? I believe masks do help. Needless to say we didn’t go to any shows or talks which we do enjoy. It was frustrating to say the least. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Denverbri69 said:

I am curious about your statement of 'staying in your cabin'. I was aware that we had to stay in our cabins at all.... please, clarify. 

Not the person you quoted but I believe they were referring to someone testing positive for covid.  These people are quarantined and usually moved to a different cabin where all that area is quarantined.

If someone has to remain in a cabin, many would prefer to be in their own.

• Like 1

Easy solution.

Cruise lines can re-route their cruises so that if cruises to Countries/Ports A, B, & C that requires testing, then still do pre-cruise testing,  but for Countries X, Y, & Z that does not, then no need for pre-cruise testing.

Then let the marketplace/consumers decide which cruises they want to go on...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Easy solution.

Cruise lines can re-route their cruises so that if cruises to Countries/Ports A, B, & C that requires testing, then still do pre-cruise testing,  but for Countries X, Y, & Z that does not, then no need for pre-cruise testing.

Then let the marketplace/consumers decide which cruises they want to go on...

They did it a few times already in the Caribbean.  When Mexico did a public relations campaign that they were open and went out to court the cruise lines, miracle of miracle, some of the islands opened.  Watch how quickly the the restrictions drop as the competition for tourist dollars is in play.   Same with Canada,  Alaska went to court to get a PVSA waiver and another miracle - Canada opened up to cruises. 

• Like 4

The cruise lines already parse requirements depending on where they sail, it is not a problem.   The one that puzzles me is if you embark on a cruise ship in Canada you need a test, if you arrive in Canada by a cruise ship you do not.  Ummmm. This Covid is a truly mysterious illness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

Same with Canada,  Alaska went to court to get a PVSA waiver and another miracle - Canada opened up to cruises. 

Depends whose opinion you read.  The waiver didn’t force Canada to open for that particular cruise season.  It has an east coast too.

29 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

The cruise lines already parse requirements depending on where they sail, it is not a problem.   The one that puzzles me is if you embark on a cruise ship in Canada you need a test, if you arrive in Canada by a cruise ship you do not.  Ummmm. This Covid is a truly mysterious illness. 

I don’t know where you’re getting your information but all cruises which dock in Canada at any point in the itinerary require a pre-embarkation covid test.

We did a land tour of Spain 2 months ago, flights in & out.

Did French Open, train from London into Paris, then train from Paris to Amsterdam, a month & half ago.

No cruise, so no problems with testing nor masks required.

With 3 Rotterdam cruises (Netherlands & Norway) this month July that doesn't require pre-cruise testing, so hopefully, our Sept cruise on Rotterdam will also won't need testing...

Edited by NavyCruiser
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Depends whose opinion you read.  The waiver didn’t force Canada to open for that particular cruise season.  It has an east coast too.

I don’t know where you’re getting your information but all cruises which dock in Canada at any point in the itinerary require a pre-embarkation covid test.

I reread the info directly from the official website prior to posting. I am now away from my iPad so you can look it up yourself or wait until I return to provide a link 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I recently completed two weeks on the Zaandam.  Canada did not require a test to enter since we embarked in Boston.  The ArrivCan app only asked for proof of vaccination and passport and where we would enter the country.  No one from Canada asked tor the QR code.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The ArrivCan app only asked for proof of vaccination and passport and where we would enter the country.  No one from Canada asked tor the QR code.

The CBSA already knows you completed it because it’s tied to your passport.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The test was required for HAL, not Canada.  We also did not need to test when we turned around in Montreal.

Under Canada’s Cruise Line Operator Obligations, HAL is required to ensure passengers take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 molecular test.

You did not need to test on turnaround as you were on a B2B and were not disembarking in a Canadian port.  You’re not required to take another COVID test under those circumstances.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Under Canada’s Cruise Line Operator Obligations, HAL is required to ensure passengers take a pre-embarkation COVID-19 molecular test.

You did not need to test on turnaround as you were on a B2B and were not disembarking in a Canadian port.  You’re not required to take another COVID test under those circumstances.

This article supports the change shortly before we sailed.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-lifting-pre-arrival-covid-19-testing-requirement-as-of-april-1-1.5821622

20 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I flew into Canada on the day (April 1st) COVID testing was lifted for AIR AND LAND BORDERS only.  The testing was not lifted for cruising.  In fact, Transport Canada stipulates that COVID testing is mandatory for cruising.

I feel like I am in The Twilight Zone.  😂

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I flew into Canada on the day (April 1st) COVID testing was lifted for AIR AND LAND BORDERS only.  The testing was not lifted for cruising.  In fact, Transport Canada stipulates that COVID testing is mandatory for cruising.

I feel like I am in The Twilight Zone.  😂

Ok, one more try.  Scroll down a bit.  Pre testing is not required for fully vaccinated people by land, air and sea.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Ok, one more try.  Scroll down a bit.  Pre testing is not required for fully vaccinated people by land, air and sea.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada#determine-fully

Ditto, one more try.  Land, air, and water.  Water meaning boaters.  If you go to the page pertaining to cruise ship travel on that same website:  LINK

Two screenshots; pertinent points in red.

37E6BDC5-6F0A-4AD7-A3DA-F692855D47F6.thumb.jpeg.3c19b2b96790067766e4589995529362.jpeg

0CAAEF82-2DA1-4EE9-BCF8-1A0AA7CC15BE.thumb.jpeg.d5db8c95b7ffedb789ee770f14eb2a6c.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Ditto, one more try.  Land, air, and water.  Water meaning boaters.  If you go to the page pertaining to cruise ship travel on that same website:  LINK

Two screenshots; pertinent points in red.

37E6BDC5-6F0A-4AD7-A3DA-F692855D47F6.thumb.jpeg.3c19b2b96790067766e4589995529362.jpeg

0CAAEF82-2DA1-4EE9-BCF8-1A0AA7CC15BE.thumb.jpeg.d5db8c95b7ffedb789ee770f14eb2a6c.jpeg

I understand what you are pointing out.  It was my understanding that when we sailed Canada required tests for passengers embarking in Canada and not in the US.  If my understanding was incorrect I apologize for any confusion on my part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1