Hotel near cruise port in Rome

Garyjames220

10 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

Hi

can anyone recommend a nice hotel, close to the cruise port in Rome 

it’s for 2 adults and two 1 year olds, so need space for two cots 

I don't know of a specific one, but it will help in your search to look at Civitavecchia, the town where the port is.  Rome is about an hour train ride away.

44 minutes ago, lakelorain said:

We use San Giorgio.  Not the greatest but convenient and provides bus to the ship.  

I second Bob's Limo.  Great service.

That’s the hotel I seen, there doesn’t seem anything to fancy there

when you say not the greatest, what do you mean

Do you no if  there’s  places to do the Covid test near there 

There are no big chain hotels in Civitavecchia: just small little 3* places. It’s a nice little town, unpretentious with some good restaurants.

yes the pharmacy’s will do covid tests if still required.

The Traghetto is right next to the terminal shuttle, has a great little pizza place next door, about 5 mins walk from 

the supermarket. And you get views like this from the balcony of room 402 which is big enough for cots. Giuseppe the manager is well acquainted with the cruise ship market and is eager to please.

AC2835D2-CA0E-41CC-9987-3C0966CF7080.jpeg

12 minutes ago, little britain said:

There are no big chain hotels in Civitavecchia: just small little 3* places. It’s a nice little town, unpretentious with some good restaurants.

yes the pharmacy’s will do covid tests if still required.

The Traghetto is right next to the terminal shuttle, has a great little pizza place next door, about 5 mins walk from 

the supermarket. And you get views like this from the balcony of room 402 which is big enough for cots. Giuseppe the manager is well acquainted with the cruise ship market and is eager to please.

AC2835D2-CA0E-41CC-9987-3C0966CF7080.jpeg

Oh very nice. What hotel is that view from 

2 hours ago, lakelorain said:

We use San Giorgio.  Not the greatest but convenient and provides bus to the ship.  

I second Bob's Limo.  Great service.

Do your research on the Scam Giorgio.  Several years ago a number of us booked 4 rooms with them 1 year in advance.  As the cruise date approached they suddenly informed all of us that they made an error and our reservations were cancelled due to overbooking.  It was over booked because they were still accepting reservations at the higher price.  This happened less than 2 weeks before the cruise while most of us were already in Europe.  We scrambled to get alternate accommodations and less than 2 weeks out they weren't the greatest and not the cheapest.

Read the Italy boards, check out Trip Advisor.  This was not an isolated incident as it was their business model.  I would stay away from this place. 

• Like 2

Over the years, we’ve stayed at Bel Sole and Hotel Traiano, which were very good, and Hotel Mediterraneo, which was fine at the time, but has not aged well since our stay. We also enjoyed Hotel Samarcanda, but that is best with a car. Our current favourite is a friendly B&B called La Casa Sul Mare. As a previous poster says, most hotels in Civitavecchia are three star at best, but they are normally spotlessly clean.

I agree with the advice to avoid San Marco. I don’t know how they are currently, but their past reputation is not very good.

5 hours ago, lisiamc said:

I agree with the advice to avoid San Marco. I don’t know how they are currently, but their past reputation is not very good.

I think you mean San Giorgio?

I've read enough bad things about their management practices to avoid them for sure.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think you mean San Giorgio?

I've read enough bad things about their management practices to avoid them for sure.

Oops, yes I do! Sorry about that. If there is a Hotel San Marco, I didn’t meant to cast aspersions. 

On 7/20/2022 at 6:47 PM, Magicat said:

Do your research on the Scam Giorgio.  Several years ago a number of us booked 4 rooms with them 1 year in advance.  As the cruise date approached they suddenly informed all of us that they made an error and our reservations were cancelled due to overbooking.  It was over booked because they were still accepting reservations at the higher price.  This happened less than 2 weeks before the cruise while most of us were already in Europe.  We scrambled to get alternate accommodations and less than 2 weeks out they weren't the greatest and not the cheapest.

Read the Italy boards, check out Trip Advisor.  This was not an isolated incident as it was their business model.  I would stay away from this place. 

I'm aware of that incident.  I've stayed there once before and twice after that time and have not had any problems.  Just relating my experience with them.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:46 PM, Garyjames220 said:

That’s the hotel I seen, there doesn’t seem anything to fancy there

when you say not the greatest, what do you mean

Do you no if  there’s  places to do the Covid test near there 

Just average, at best.  Seems others hate this place but I've had no problems there and the location is good.   

Don't know about testing in the area, sorry.

22 minutes ago, lakelorain said:

Just average, at best.  Seems others hate this place but I've had no problems there and the location is good.   

Don't know about testing in the area, sorry.

the other hotel I seen was hotel de La ville. Not sure if that’s any better 

1 hour ago, lakelorain said:

I'm aware of that incident.  I've stayed there once before and twice after that time and have not had any problems.  Just relating my experience with them.

I think the issue occurs if you book now at the low rate of 93 Euros in hopes of staying at San (Scam) Giorgio, once they are full they continue to take reservations at a higher price.  They then kick the people who purchased the rooms at a lower rate and keep the ones that are paying more for the rooms.  Good for the management as they are maximizing their profit with little risk of having an empty hotel.  Bad for the consumers who plan ahead and get thrown out into the street.  

Again, this just didn't happen this one time as reviews on them cite many occasions this has happened.  Perhaps you were lucky or paid a premium to stay there.

On 7/21/2022 at 5:29 AM, lisiamc said:

Over the years, we’ve stayed at Bel Sole and Hotel Traiano, which were very good, and Hotel Mediterraneo, which was fine at the time, but has not aged well since our stay. We also enjoyed Hotel Samarcanda, but that is best with a car. Our current favourite is a friendly B&B called La Casa Sul Mare. As a previous poster says, most hotels in Civitavecchia are three star at best, but they are normally spotlessly clean.

Does Hotel Traiano still offer free shuttle to the port? I learnt that before pandemic it does.

39 minutes ago, hellopuppies said:

Does Hotel Traiano still offer free shuttle to the port? I learnt that before pandemic it does.

The last time we stayed there, they did, but that was before the pandemic. I think if you emailed them, they would answer.